MEPs vote for universal phone connection and an end to Apple Lightning

scene

Personally I think both sides of the argument are bogus. There's plenty of adapters for usb-c to lightning and lightning to usb-c and they're are options (like I use) where you get cables with magnetic ends and plugs that go into your device, which remove one of the biggest points of failures on devices (the power socket, or even pulling it off the table and breaking the screen).
People will still throw away tons of cables, as they'll break them - probably the biggest reason cables get thrown out. Making Apple use usb-c sockets won't stifle competition -(think of all those adapters people will be trying to sell...) - but it will stop Apple charging grossly inflated prices for 1m of cable, because it has a proprietary plug on one end.

Standardisation is a good think for utility items. USB cables have become a utility item. Enough said.

jjbomber

- but it will stop Apple charging grossly inflated prices for 1m of cable, because it has a proprietary plug on one end.

Cr-Apple will be selling super-duper expensive adaptors on the back of this, before forcing people to 'upgrade' to their new models with usb-c. This is a huge cash cow for Cr-Apple and they are secretly thrilled to bits by the ruling.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I bet CrApple do away with it altogether and just have induction charging on all their phones.

I really don't get their beef anyway. Their laptops already use USB-C, don't they? And they've always been a massive pain for introducing and then discarding connectors anyway, so it serves'em right!

laftyjabs

Feb 3, 2020
Visit site
Surely the big win is to make any cables optional at purchase. I have a drawer full of cables for everything from bike lights to baby monitors! So even if Apple phones came with USB-C they would still go in the drawer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts