Mediaplayer with Blue Ray

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
He guys. I have a question or better a request for advice/help.

I would like to get some recommendation for Mediaplayer with BD mechanic built in.

Other options are quite out of question for following reasons

i) too many devices for what I use BD for

ii) I use BD very rarely and prefer digital formats therefore mediaplayer is more important to have in better quality than BD (but it's nice to have this option)

I've been searching a for a bit and I didn't find many options. Some of O'Play, Dune not much lately.....struggling.

Any help would be welcommed.

Thanks a lot

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
When you say media player, are you looking for something that will both store and playback your media, or something that will stream from a computer / NAS? Also, what format is most of your existing digital media collection in?

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't seek for NAS. rather something as O'Play or Dune that can play many formats, supports various subtitles etc.

Formats that I seek for ....the latest ones

John Duncan

Agreed, my first thought was one of the any number of bluray players which had a DLNA client built in - Sony, Pioneer, my Cambridge etc. just depends what you mean by 'media' and how you use it - your choice may be more driven by a player's format support and interface (eg iThing/android app availability) than anything.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chep said:
I don't seek for NAS. rather something as O'Play or Dune that can play many formats, supports various subtitles etc.

Understood, but where is media stored right now? Is it on a computer? And if so, do you want to play it from the computer, or store it on this new device itself when you get it. I'm personally thinking a PS3 Super Slim might well suit your needs whichever way you want to go (under £160 now), but would be good to know!

Chep said:
Formats that I seek for ....the latest ones

That's not particularly helpful. MP3? MP4? FLAC? None of the above?!

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
professorhat: media player for video formats, not audio formats

data are stored on HDD - USB. if it has built in SATA the better, but that's not the condition

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
VoodooDoctor said:
Oppo 103?

haven't seen many good reviews on Oppo and I would go with something cheaper.

max 400 GBP

actually, when I am thinking about it, it could be other way round. Blue Ray player with quality option to play media video formats

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
You could try to find a Cambridge 651BD or 751BD, both of which have SATA, but Richer Sounds aren't listing them on their website...

thanks John, something one level down in price, please? SATA not mandatory, just nice to have

John Duncan

Down a notch, I'd be looking at Sony as well:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-bdp-s790

as the interface is very good. File formats handled aeem to be: AVCHD, MPEG2, DivX, AVI, MKV, MP3, WAV, JPEG/MPO

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks for help, lads.

just to stir it a little bit.

back to an advice of Oppo. If I would have obtained OPPO BDP-103EU, with all the functionalities/options it has, may I dump my Maranz MR-603 and use Oppo as stereo receiver, CD/SACD playerBD player and media player comfortably? I understand it is not AVR but what is then the difference appart of not being able to connect more sources?

what I want to connect is 2 speakers (not 5.1 or 7.1), eventually subwoofer and in the future I am thinking of projector. I am not an expert at all, but it seems this Oppo can handle it all....?

anyone could compare the sound between mentinoned marantz and oppo then?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Chep said:
may I dump my Maranz MR-603 and use Oppo as stereo receiver, CD/SACD playerBD player and media player comfortably? I understand it is not AVR but what is then the difference appart of not being able to connect more sources?

The main difference is the Oppo is a Blu-ray player and not an amplifier. So you can't connect speakers to it and then play sound through those speakers. To play sound through speakers, you require amplification, and for that, you'll continue to need your Marantz (or some other amplifier).

Chep said:
VoodooDoctor said:
Oppo 103?

haven't seen many good reviews on Oppo and I would go with something cheaper.

max 400 GBP

actually, when I am thinking about it, it could be other way round. Blue Ray player with quality option to play media video formats

Oppo 103 has won th e EISA award:

http://www.eisa.eu/award/16/european-ht-universal-player-2013-2014.html

Also check this:

http://www.avforums.com/review/oppo-bdp-103eu-3d-blu-ray-player-review.423

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
bigboss, yep. changed opinion based on more research. the question I ask is, if I can make a big change and get rid of my lovely Maranz 603 and use Oppo as multifunctional device, pretty much as AVR..???

You can use the Oppo as a pre-amp, but you still will need an amplifier / receiver. Denon Cara was a blu-ray player + AV receiver, but it's not sold anymore.

http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=BluraySurroundReceiver&ProductId=CARA

Chep

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
shame, I am not ready to pay this one and AVR on top of it. I would probably go with that cheaper award winning Sony and will use my MR603 as amp.

Yes, you can do that. Just to clarify, the Oppo can work with your Marantz, & you do not need a separate receiver. I believe PS3 is the best blu ray + media player out there & is available at discounted prices, now that PS4 is out.

PS3 is coming on Amazon's Black Friday deal at 7:15pm today:

www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Friday-Deals/b/ref=amb_link_178559747_2?ie=UTF8&node=161428031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=right-csm-1&pf_rd_r=1CH61GH0XC32Y2W43AXZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=449535287&pf_rd_i=468294

Keep your eyes on it; you could bag yourself an amazing bargain.

TRENDING THREADS