Media Server on Panasonic Viera - problems playing any !

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I've been told that I can use programmes such as Serviio, Mezzmo and even Windows Media Player to stream media from the pc to the tv.

I've downloaded Serviio and also tried to configure WIndows Media Player (through a tutorial on You Tube) to do this, but when I select "Media Server" from the Viera Tools options, it only finds my wireless box and nothing else.

Is my Viera not one of the models that can do this ? Or what I am doing wrong ?

Any help is appreciated.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I've tried it with the firewall off and it doesnt make any difference. It is frustrating as I hear good things about Serviio. Also, I;ve noted that Panasonic mention Twonky streamer but it seems you have to pay for the license, which is ridiculous - do you think that Panasonic tvs only work with Twonky though, as it's strange how it is recommended in the actual manual.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You need to make sure all devices on your network are allowed to access the pc

Try this and report back.

On the windows pc you want to stream from....

Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center -> Advanced sharing settings

- Make sure Network Discovery is on.

- Under media streaming, click on choose media streaming options

Change show devices on to All Networks and click Allow All. If a popup appears select Allow all computer and media devices

Click OK, exit

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay I've tried to do that - I'm using Windows 7 by the way - but when I click on the options to turn on Network Discovery, then save changes, it doesnt appear to acfually turn it on, as when I go back into it to see if it anything has been altered, I find that the Network Discovery has reverted to "off" and the same with any other settings that I have put to "on".

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
After turning on network discovery click save changes at bottom.

After entering the 'choose media streaming options' screen after selecting 'all networks' and 'allow all', click next, make sure music, video etc are set to shared and then click next and then finish on final screen.

I'm using Win8 and they may have changed the windows slightly - but I'm sure you get the gist.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay this is what I'm finding :

after scrolling down to "media streaming" ( which says is "off")... "choose streaming options"..... there is a small box saying "name your media library" and I'm supposed to type something...directly under that there is another box that says "show devices on" which I can click on to choose a device but no devices are listed. To the right 2 more boxes "allow all" and "block all" and below them there is "okay" and "cancel". The thing is, the "okay" button is never highlighted ,only the "cancel" one. So though I can click on "allow all", the "okay" button never becomes clickable, What I am supposed to type in the "name you media library" thing ?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You can call the library anything you like - mines called PCMediaLibrary

Have you turned on Network Discovery and clicked save changes?

If you have and no devices are showing on your pc then:

Have you connected you tv to your network? Wired or wireless? Run the network connection test on your tv.

It sounds like your tv is not on the network (or discovery is turned off) if your computer is showing no devices.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay this is the latest : somehow my tv has now managed to pick up Serviio from my computer = good of course. The problem is though, when I select Serviio I keep getting an error message "connection to the server" failed.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Im not familiar with Serviio. Is the server running on the pc ok? Is the network connection on the tv working? Is the TV now allowed to acces the PC ?

Try using PS3 media server. http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/

When you run it add your media location in the Navigation/Share settings tab, clicks save, and then restart server

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
I think Serviio is just a popular media streamer. The tv picks it up - which shows the pc is transmitted the media to the tv and it is picking it up - but that's all it does. When i click on Serviio, it says "connecting" and then "cannot connect" - so does that mean the signal isn't strong enough ?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounds to me more like it cant connect to the server because either the server has stopped, or it lacks permission.

I cant help with Serviio setup and settings - thats why I suggested PS3 media server.

The initial help I gave of allowing network access to all devices HAS to be done regardless.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Okay Ive downloaded the PS3 thing. It is running on the computer but isnt being detected by the tv as yet - on the "status" tab it says "no renderers were found" and a big X is displayed.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
I've had a play with serviio for you....

(Check that the TV is an allowed device on your pc from earlier post).

Do a network connection test on the Pana.

Check the serviio console to make sure the status is running (green)

Add some test media to to the Serviio library - .vob,.avi,.mp3 etc

Check if the Pana is showing up in the profiles on the status tab. (You may have to do this by checking the ip address of the Pana), or by a force refresh of the profiles.

That should be it.

Portoman

Sep 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I've done all you've suggested but no luck.

I really appreciate you trying but obviously I'm not doing something correctly. I've got a friend who works in IT who may be able to come round and have a look and that might work (might !).

Thanks a lot though.

TRENDING THREADS