MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Just helped my dad order one of these. Coming tomorrow, 24 hour delivery.
He's 85, neither of us have bought much new HiFi this century, so other than playing CDs, it's going to be an interesting learning-curve for us both.
He'll be partnering it with his small Q-Acoustics speakers that are about five years old. 1010 I think.
Any initial thoughts on whether the speakers and Marantz should work well?

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Ive not heard the 1010 speakers but the marantz is a fine product. Just noticed you have the CD63 on your sig.

If you get time it would be interesting to see how the 610 cd player / internal dac stacks up against the CD63 mk 2 that you have. Was going to buy a cd63 just to compare with modern hifi but never got round to it.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Just helped my dad order one of these. Coming tomorrow, 24 hour delivery. He's 85, neither of us have bought much new HiFi this century, so other than playing CDs, it's going to be an interesting learning-curve for us both. He'll be partnering it with his small Q-Acoustics speakers that are about five years old. 1010 I think. Any initial thoughts on whether the speakers and Marantz should work well?

Hi Major,

I recently ordered a 610 for my parents too. Ordered in a regular hifi-shop over internet. Not sure yet when it will arrive. I found them a pristine pair of ex-dem Tannoy V1s to match it with. With this combo, they save 100 EUR over the Bose my dad wanted to order first. It will be their first 'proper' hifi ever! I think I'll introduce them to Spotify soon.

:cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
MajorFubar said:
Just helped my dad order one of these. Coming tomorrow, 24 hour delivery. He's 85, neither of us have bought much new HiFi this century, so other than playing CDs, it's going to be an interesting learning-curve for us both. He'll be partnering it with his small Q-Acoustics speakers that are about five years old. 1010 I think. Any initial thoughts on whether the speakers and Marantz should work well?

Hi Major,

I recently ordered a 610 for my parents too. Ordered in a regular hifi-shop over internet. Not sure yet when it will arrive. I found them a pristine pair of ex-dem Tannoy V1s to match it with. With this combo, they save 100 EUR over the Bose my dad wanted to order first. It will be their first 'proper' hifi ever! I think I'll introduce them to Spotify soon.

Is that the Bose Wave radio, if so I think you made a wise choice, I have Bose wave, did not buy it, its way over priced, our Sony £60 mini system sounds better than that on cd, it surprising what you can get for £60 these days.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
DocG said:
MajorFubar said:

Hi Major,

Is that the Bose Wave radio, if so I think you made a wise choice, I have Bose wave, did not buy it, its way over priced, our Sony £60 mini system sounds better than that on cd, it surprising what you can get for £60 these days.

That was the Bose Wave SoundTouch music system. He was about to buy one (blind). I'm sure the VFM will be better now. I'll advise him to spend the 100 EUR he saved on some good red wine, as JD suggested... :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ben yes I too have been wondering how the CD player will compare to my CD63 KI. Think I might have to take my Senn RS180s round and hook them up to it's line-outs (best way I can think of to isolate the CDP function from the amp).

DocG said:
Hi Major,

I recently ordered a 610 for my parents too. ... I think I'll introduce them to Spotify soon.

Yeah my dad's already on Spotify, he listens to it via his PC. Not sure how well he'll take to using it from the remote on his 610, think his Parkinsons will impare his operation of the controls. Just you watch, next thing he'll have to buy is a cheap Android tablet to use as a controller.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Ben yes I too have been wondering how the CD player will compare to my CD63 KI. Think I might have to take my Senn RS180s round and hook them up to it's line-outs (best way I can think of to isolate the CDP function from the amp).

DocG said:
Hi Major,

I recently ordered a 610 for my parents too. ... I think I'll introduce them to Spotify soon.

Yeah my dad's already on Spotify, he listens to it via his PC. Not sure how well he'll take to using it from the remote on his 610, think his Parkinsons will impare his operation of the controls. Just you watch, next thing he'll have to buy is a cheap Android tablet to use as a controller.

My dad already uses an iPad, so he's prepared!

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:

Yeah every once in a while someone asks whether to replace a KI with a 603 / 610 but no one really seems to know. I love a good old school vs new school shoot out lol.

I would try both headphones and just plugging the KI into the AUX inputs on the amp to the speakers. In my experience headphone sockets arent the highest quality on amps -- but the 610 might have a good who knows.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ben123 said:
I would try both headphones and just plugging the KI into the AUX inputs on the amp to the speakers. In my experience headphone sockets arent the highest quality on amps -- but the 610 might have a good who knows.

My RS180s are cordless so they will plug right into the lines outs :)

Anyhow I had opportunity to listen to this unit yesterday. For the money I'm really impressed, other than the plastic case which has the same kind of look and feel as a £60 Saisho micro system. Good, clear, punchy sound, goes loud enough to give you hearing-damage even in his large 30'x15' through-room. Internet radio is a breeze: I haven't even bothered fitting an aerial because at 85 he's so not going to sit there trying to spot differences between streaming-radio and FM. Nice size means you can accommodate it anywhere. Just plug it up to some decent speakers and there you go, instant HiFi.

I haven't heard the exponentially more expensive systems from the likes of Linn and Naim, but I can imagine strapping this thing up to speakers of at least the same value and it wouldn't have to apologise to them.

What don't I like? Well I did mention the plastic build. I'd also like more knobs instead of menus, like real bass and treble controls instead of them being menu-operated. Same goes for the volume (though at least there are dedicated buttons for volume). Perhaps it's because I'm used to old gear but I instinctively head for a volume knob which isn't here. I'd also like to have seen a USB B input so you can use the system directly with a computer. Clearly most of the electronics needed to have facilitated this are already in the box; it's both a shame and a surprise to see it omitted.

Sadly I couldn't get his Spotify to work because he doesn't have Premium.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah indeed, I understand the two flat 'type A' sockets can only be used to stream media from storage devices, sadly. A great missed opportunity IMO, which surely could have been implemented very cheaply, but presumably Marantz doesn't think so!

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
vinod_david said:
I have 6000+ FLAC files in portable FreeAgent GoFlex Drive. Can I connect my portable HDD to MCR-610 via USB? Can the 610 play those FLAC's?

Yes, you can and MCR610 will play your flacs. This is how I play my flacs on MCR510.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts