Maybe I should move to England? :P

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
About 2-3 months ago, I bought a Arcam Alpha 7 cd-player and an Arcam alpha 6 amplifier (both at the same second-hand site/the most used second-hand site in Denmark), for my parents. These were connected to my "old" Dali Lektor 1's.

I had never heard any Arcam product (except for the rDac), so it was a bit of a shot/gamble. But when I got it all connected it sounded just great
smiley-smile.gif

We (I am 19 and still live at home with my parents) always listen to music while eating dinner. This used to happen on my old Sony ghettoblaster, but now we could listen to this Arcam/Dali setup while dining, and what a pleasure it was.

Then one day when my parents wasn't home and I had a lot of spare time on my hands, I as the curious "audiophile" I am, wanted to hear the Arcam cd-player and amplifier with my own speakers (Dali Ikon 5 mk2). So I moved the amp, cd-player and speakers (Lektor 1's) to my own room. As the Arcam alpha 6 has the ability to have two pair of speakers connected to it, I connected both the Lektor 1's and the Ikon 5 mk2's. I thought this was a great chance to compare the two different pair of speakers with each other. I then fired up some music, and as expected one pair of the speakers started playing (I can't recall if it was the Lektor's or Ikon's). I then pushed the switch, to switch over to the other pair of speakers.

What then happened confused my quite a bit. Now both pairs of speakers were playing! (instead of just the other pair). I thought "This can't be very good for the amp", powered it off, and removed the Lektor 1's. I then continued playing music for some hours with just the Ikon's connected, having no problems at all. I powered everything off and went to a friends house. When I came home the next day, I connected my Ikon's to my own Emotiva setup and then later the same day, I connected the Arcam system to my Ikon's again.

This time, I couldn't get any sound from the speakers!
smiley-cry.gif

The Arcam cd-player still works (have tried to connect it to my amp), but the Arcam amp simply doesn't work anymore.

My parents have given my a budget of £ 234 (translated from 2000 danish crowns) to find a new amplifier.

Yesterday I then got a home demo of the Nad 316bee. That sure was a let down. It was way to enthusiastic/energetic/fatiguing compared to the former Arcam amplifier, especially when listening at dinner time. The problem is that there are not many £ 200 amps to choose from here in Denmark (or Arcam dealers). I have looked at ebay.co.uk, and there seems to be quite a lot of Arcam alpha 8, and a single Arcam alpha 7 amplifiers. The bad thing is though that they only ship to the UK and not worldwide.

What should I do?

A

Anonymous

assuming you haven't already done so, you could ask the various sellers on ebay if they would consider posting to denmark? you only need one that will..

edit. you would obviously need to pay for the postage :)

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
But I think that would be worth it, and it shouldn't cost more than £ 40-50?

Do you think I would be able to use it in Denmark? In Denmark our AC wall sockets run at 230v.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have bought stuff from UK (I am based out in Germany) and they work across europe. I am not sure whether these amps have detachable power chords otherwise you need a UK to Adapter of your conutry. Look out for the dealers on eBay as some of them have experience in handling postage to other countries and so more willing than individual sellers.

I agree with you. For used stuff UK is heaven. I track a lot of HiFi things and it is always 10-20% cheaper in UK
smiley-frown.gif

Chokobolt

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
WishTree, have you bought any stuff from ebay.co.uk, where it says that they only deliver to the UK, and then got them to send it to you?

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Chokobolt said:
WishTree, have you bought any stuff from ebay.co.uk, where it says that they only deliver to the UK, and then got them to send it to you?

Yes.. but out of 10 times I made the request to be sent out of UK 9 of them said no, which is only fair.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts