Mature Cohen . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well, after a few frustrating days, with everything seeming to go wrong . . . centeral heating, dishwasher, washing machine, telephone . . . all went caput in the past week! Then to inflict on myself the idea of re introducing HiFi into my life and discovering . . . "things ant what they used to be . . . ".

I had a pock about, metaphorically, on the net see if I could find some music to listen to through my 'inadequate' Computer based system. I have had a brief look a while back at Spotify, so, as I was not into aggravation, its all very foreign at the moment, that where I laded. Dug up, Sandy Nelson, the Shadows plus a few more 'blasts from my past' . . . All obviously remastered . . . or something, impressed with results considering

Looking for Jenifer Warnes, specifically, 'Bird on a wire', failed, suspect got name spelled wrong? . . . I stumbled into Leonard Cohen. Love his song writing, more like musical stories . . . but I'm not a fan of his singing???? if you know what I mean . . .

Loads of early Cohen albums, tried a few tracks, even 'Bird on a Wire', but he really could not sing, to which he freely admits . . . However, I remember recently, listen to an inter view, in which he said he was not a singer . . . and in that interview snippets of tracks were played, thinking at the time, not bad? But this early stuff on Spotify, no, no, no.

But I persevered, later, more mature Cohen . . . wow! An album '10 New Songs', I could not switch it off, the growling voice simple engaging, I'm feeling goose bumps remembering its from last night! Ten I tried 'Leonard Cohen, Live in London', I'm not into live recordings . . . quality is not so good . . . not so on this Album, all the atmosphere, surprising quality, through my inadequate Yamahas? and the musical arrangements were simply fantastic, with guest artist cameoing at what to me, sounded like their best. The cameos, breaking up the superb deep rasping musical storey telling of Leonard Cohen, who came over as enjoying the performance. 10 tracks, followed by 23 of 'simple', compelling listening . . .

This is what I've been missing for nearly 20 years, involvement in the music, oozing pleasure and satisfaction, not the best reproduction? . . . although as I have nothing to compare it with, for me it was great!

Mature Cohen . . . I will be down loading these two albums!

CJSF

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
The Jennifer Warnes album you're looking for is 'Famous Blue Raincoat' - all Cohen songs and in my opinion brilliant.
Did a quick google and it seems readily available. Get it in whichever format you like and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts