Matching amp to speaker

Pennywhistler

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
The newest issue of WHF says "Building a great system is about experimenting with different combinations and keeping an ear out for that perfect balance." So ...

I have Mission Model 70 MkII speakers. Whe I use my NAD 7225PE receiver the highs are vivid. Maybe too vivid. There is a "live musicians in your room" feel, but after a while I can hear the clipping distortion. Thrilling at first but a little fatiguing.

When I play the same CD through my Luxman R-113 (Renaissance Dance Music / Collegium Terpsichore) someone has turned the treble down one click and that vividness is gone. But it is clean as can be at any volume.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Amp/speaker matching can be a minefield. Not only is matching a brand to brand a challenge, but room acoustics play a big part too.

Not heard any of your particular models but the Nad sounds underpowered, hence the clipping. And prolonged use of an amp that clips can cause damage to the speakers, so if you hear it TURN THE VOLUME DOWN.

When you look at new or replacement components try to arrange a home dem if poss, or at least buy with a 'Returns' policy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts