Marantz v Linn ...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know some of you may have read the topic header and gone ???WHAT ??? but would be most grateful for your comments/opinions/experiences.

What do you think about the Marantz PM13S1 amp, Marantz SA11S2 cd player, on B+W 804s speakers and how would they compare to Linn Majik-I amp, Linn Majik cd player on the same speakers? I have heard both, but on different days and was not able yet to properly compare the two. Other serious issue for me is price. Marantz set up is stg3,115 v Linn set up of stg3,880. (Prices don't include speakers). We mostly listen to rock and some traditional music. Also need system that can handle being moved every couple of years.

Have conviced my other half to at least go for the Marantz but should I keep the pressure on to try for the Linn ..?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. I'll see if I can find one to listen to next time I'm out.

A

Anonymous

The Linn is probably a wee bit over priced, and they had a habit of releasing things not 100% ready if it looked like they were going to miss a deadline (again) if its been out more than 6 months you should be fine though.

That might have changed over the last couple of years.

John Duncan

Can't comment on the high-end Marantz, but if their lower end stuff is anything to go by, I'd have those for rock over the Linn, which to me lack oomph in that context. Also consider the Regas and, as mentioned, the Naim 5italics, which would appear to fit your bill for exceptional money, or if you want to go higher, look at Moon.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Higher end Linn are a real cracker! never pay the rrp price as many ex-demo bargain to be had.

The SA11S2 is a great SACD player so I guess you already own a handful of (annoyingly) hard to buy disc. If that is the case I suggest Mcintosh MCD 201 player, Linn Kontrol/2100 amp combo...that would be a proper upgrade rather than side step (or a big downgrade if you go for the Naim suggested above!)

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for the input. I think I know where to go to listen to Naim and Mcintosh. Rega is proving more difficult. We live in Tokyo, so there is a lot of stuff out there, but without the language it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'd love to go further up the chain with Linn but it's just too expensive here.

No, we don't own a pile of SA cd's so I'm thinking we are paying a premium for the Marantz for a facility that we won't use. Plan to also listen to cheaper Marantz cd players having seen how often they get mentioned on these pages. I'll try to go hunting/listening again tomorrow if I can get the babysitter in.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts