Marantz TT15S1 at reduced price!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 108165

Well can't post pics as I don't know how to *biggrin* but it's all set-up and working brilliantly!

Cons: Doesn't look as impressive as the Pioneer - the Marantz looks weedy in comparison; motor is strange in its de-coupled arrangment - have to be careful with the power switch otherwise the motor moves; belt squeals on start-up so best to give the platter a helping spin to get it going; O-ring in the balance weight - strange but novel idea; arm lift has a twisting motion at extremes of up and down; stylus is very close to the record surface even with arm lift fully raised; user manual is very poor, (thank god for vinylengine where I managed to download the US user manual); no dustcover.

Pros: All turntables should be packed like this, very impressive, (it was like opening the different tiers on a box of chocolates *biggrin* ), white gloves were a nice touch; very easy to set-up, everything you need is in the box, including a decent cartridge; I like the three feet supporting the plinth - much easier to level than a four foot set-up; really like the way they use magnets for the platter bearing and anti-skate, very innovative; you can tell by the finish and the way everything fits so precisely this turntable is a quality piece of kit.

How does it sound? Brilliant!! I fitted the MP300 to it and the detail retrieval is fantastic, there's a lot more in the grooves than the Pioneer could access, but the Marantz can. Between tracks it is deadly silent, almost CD-like. When you consider that the Pioneer cost £599 new, (without cartridge), with a 2M Black fitted the cost is the same as the Marantz! This purchase really is a no-brainer as the Marantz far and away exceeds the performance of the Pioneer. The only aspect where the Pioneer wins is on looks alone, oh, and it has a dustcover *smile*

I have a dustcover on the way from plasticonline. I've also decided to invest in a Dr Feickert protractor, as even though it sounds brilliant I want to make sure that everything is optimally dialled-in. I also managed to get a pukka schuko style EU to UK plug adapter online. Oh, and I didn't fit the earth wire to the bearing, no need, no hum. If the power switch becomes bothersome I'll fit an in-line switch to the mains cable. Must get a drill bit for the centre hole of my LP's as some are a very tight fit over the spindle.

Cheers bigfish *good*

DougK said:
Well can't post pics as I don't know how to *biggrin* but it's all set-up and working brilliantly!

Cons: Doesn't look as impressive as the Pioneer - the Marantz looks weedy in comparison; motor is strange in its de-coupled arrangment - have to be careful with the power switch otherwise the motor moves; belt squeals on start-up so best to give the platter a helping spin to get it going; O-ring in the balance weight - strange but novel idea; arm lift has a twisting motion at extremes of up and down; stylus is very close to the record surface even with arm lift fully raised; user manual is very poor, (thank god for vinylengine where I managed to download the US user manual); no dustcover.

Pros: All turntables should be packed like this, very impressive, (it was like opening the different tiers on a box of chocolates *biggrin* ), white gloves were a nice touch; very easy to set-up, everything you need is in the box, including a decent cartridge; I like the three feet supporting the plinth - much easier to level than a four foot set-up; really like the way they use magnets for the platter bearing and anti-skate, very innovative; you can tell by the finish and the way everything fits so precisely this turntable is a quality piece of kit.

How does it sound? Brilliant!! I fitted the MP300 to it and the detail retrieval is fantastic, there's a lot more in the grooves than the Pioneer could access, but the Marantz can. Between tracks it is deadly silent, almost CD-like. When you consider that the Pioneer cost £599 new, (without cartridge), with a 2M Black fitted the cost is the same as the Marantz! This purchase really is a no-brainer as the Marantz far and away exceeds the performance of the Pioneer. The only aspect where the Pioneer wins is on looks alone, oh, and it has a dustcover *smile*

I have a dustcover on the way from plasticonline. I've also decided to invest in a Dr Feickert protractor, as even though it sounds brilliant I want to make sure that everything is optimally dialled-in. I also managed to get a pukka schuko style EU to UK plug adapter online. Oh, and I didn't fit the earth wire to the bearing, no need, no hum. If the power switch becomes bothersome I'll fit an in-line switch to the mains cable. Must get a drill bit for the centre hole of my LP's as some are a very tight fit over the spindle.

Cheers bigfish *good*

Nice write up. Don't use a drill on lap. They will loosen up over time. If you really need to I suggest a round file.

D

Deleted member 108165

Thanks Al, not comprehensive just my personal appraisal. Hadn't thought about using a file, thank you, I've got a round one somewhere in the garage. I definitely need to open up the spindle hole on some of my collection as they are really very very tight to the point where they won't fit on the spindle.

I was getting a little belt slip (sqeek) on startup, so I washed and dried the belt, which helped.

Also, check the nylon screws in the motor drive wheel, to make sure they are tight.

... I'm glad you like it, and happy to help.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Decided to upgrade my turntable and had been thinking the Marantz was the way to go. Been talking to HCHifi about one this week and he had one on eBay for a good price so bit the bullet and bought it. Can't wait for it to arrive now. It was between the Marantz and the Rega RP6 but on price alone it was a no brainer. £100 more for the Marantz and it comes with cartridge. Is anybody running the supplied cartridge? How do you rate it?

I believe it comes fitted with the Virtuoso ebony which is a Clearaudio cartridge. Not a bad one at all and better than the many basic cartridges as normally all these pre fitted cartridges tend to be.

NB: sometimes fitted with the Symphony which is just as good.

D

Deleted member 108165

Troy62 said:
Decided to upgrade my turntable and had been thinking the Marantz was the way to go. Been talking to HCHifi about one this week and he had one on eBay for a good price so bit the bullet and bought it. Can't wait for it to arrive now. It was between the Marantz and the Rega RP6 but on price alone it was a no brainer. £100 more for the Marantz and it comes with cartridge. Is anybody running the supplied cartridge? How do you rate it?

Nice one *good* I never fitted the bundled cartridge; decided to go with an MP300 that I had laying around gathering dust. I'm sure bigfish used the OE Clearaudio/Marantz cartridge when he got his tt. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

When it arrives please come back with your views/any questions on the deck. It's a bit quirky, but beautifully manufactured and is a doddle to set up.

Troy62

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers chaps. Should be here in next couple of days so I'll report back when I've had a play. I've still got the Grado and like it a lot that's why I was asking. I'll fit them both and see which one I prefer. I know a few on here are in to the Nagaoka's. Many years ago I had an MP11 Boron on my AR EB101 and enjoyed that so might try another Nagaoka at some point.

I hav been using both the clearaudio cart, and a nagaoka ts12 Stilton cart. The clearaudio is on at the moment, sounds fantastic. The nagaoka has a warmer sound and has it's own charactor. Both go very well with the turntable. Both are very enjoyable.

I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on different carts. The next one I'm going to try Is a denon mc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts