Marantz TT15S1 at reduced price!

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
I can't remember who it was, but a few weeks ago, someone asked where I bought my Marantz turntable from as I got it from Netherlands at a vastly reduced price compared to the UKs price.

well, yesterday I noticed that they were again reduced and available through eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-TT-15S1-Belt-Drive-Turntable-New-/111856042691?hash=item1a0b23c2c3:g:5CIAAOSwUdlWeT0Z

£949.00 instead of 1500.00

all you need is a plug adaptor and you are sorted

Well it wasn't me who asked, but what the hell, just pulled the trigger on one of these. Always admired your tt, bigfish, and I've been looking over the last week at Clearaudio, Michell, Analogue Works, Rega, Project, etc, etc, but this Marantz just seems like too good a deal to pass by. A £2K deck was just too much for my paltry vinyl collection but £1K is a different proposition, plus with the Marantz most of the Clearaudio parts will retrofit so I have an upgrade path at a later date, if I so wish. Just need to source a dustcover when it arrives.

I'll try it with the Clearaudio cart first, but I've got the MP300 and 2M Black waiting in the wings if OE doesn't work for me. Will be good to put the Marantz and Pioneer in a shootout... I'm guessing that the Marantz will take it but you never know.

You will love it.

The supplied cart is very good indeed, a word of caution, the cantilever is quite exposed so is vulnerable to damage. So take care.

I use mine with a nagaoka cart also and this works really well too. A warmer sound than the clearaudio.

It will probably come with an eu plug on, but currys sell the adaptor for it.

D

Deleted member 108165

Forgot to say thanks for the original link *good*

Based on reviews I see the biggest criticism is the location of the on/off switch. I was thinking of maybe inserting an in-line switch in the power cable. As for the EU plug, hell I may even re-wire it, (got loads of spare power (kettle) cables around the house).

Yeah, I've had some mishaps with cantilevers in the past, hopefully I have now learned from these - steep and expensive learning curve.

Dustcovers are incredibly expensive if bought direct from Clearaudio, what route did you take?

D

Deleted member 108165

bigfish786 said:
The supplied cart is very good indeed, a word of caution, the cantilever is quite exposed so is vulnerable to damage. So take care.

Bigfish, if you ever damage your stylus there's an interesting cheap fix on youtube, (if you have a steady hand), cannibalising an AT stylus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWNm5CswNI

Comments state that the AT95SA is the cart to go for.

I did a bit of research when I damaged mine, luckily, I was able to fix the bend myself with some tweezers!

The at95 cart stylus does fit, but it's not in the same league as the one fitted.

my own personal choice, if I ever need to replace it, will be to buy the cheapest clearaudio cart, and use the stylus from that in the virtuoso body.

Hopefully, it won't come to that.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I think the TT15S1 is a real gem and performs well above it's price.

Btw, I bought mine at a Dutch shop too, HC hifi.

And Cover Company makes acryl dustcovers that fit the TT perfectly. I think I have the "cover 3"

D

Deleted member 108165

kevinJ said:

And Cover Company makes acryl dustcovers that fit the TT perfectly. I think I have the "cover 3"

HC hifi is the same seller on eBay that I am purchasing my Marantz from. However, it's been 3 days since I placed my order and still haven't received any response from them.... should I be worried? Payment is safe as I used PayPal.

expat_mike said:

Looks good. However, this was back in 2008 when prices on the Marantz might have been cheaper. Current normal price is around £1400-1500, which brings it in line with a basic Gyrodec. Also, since then, Clearaudio have updated the entry-level table with the 'Concept'. These are now readily available at around £900. How the sound compares I couldn't say, but the Concept look a better proposition. Or if you had £1500 to blow the Gyro would be the top of my list.

D

Deleted member 108165

plastic penguin said:
Looks good. However, this was back in 2008 when prices on the Marantz might have been cheaper. Current normal price is around £1400-1500, which brings it in line with a basic Gyrodec. Also, since then, Clearaudio have updated the entry-level table with the 'Concept'. These are now readily available at around £900. How the sound compares I couldn't say, but the Concept look a better proposition. Or if you had £1500 to blow the Gyro would be the top of my list.

I did an awful lot of research before I pulled the trigger on the Marantz, there are some excellent reports on the net from actual owners of this tt. Yes, it has it's foibles, everything has. It's based on the CA Emotion, which at the time was their base unit; this entry level is now catered for by the Concept; the Emotion SE is now the next up in line with many attributes carried over from the Emotion. This all points to the Marantz being a decent tt, bulit by Clearaudio, Marantz badging. I wanted something different to the Rega-Project designs.

If I had £1.5-2.5K to spend this would bring a lot of very good tt's into the equation, including the Gyro. One thing you haven't factored in is that I believe the Gyro comes without a cartridge so you would need to add another £300 for a reasonable cartridge, (decent cart comes with the Marantz as standard).

Would I pay £1.5K for the Marantz - probably not, but then why should I when I got one for nearly the same price as the Concept...

What will be interesting is the comparison between my current Pioneer and the Marantz. Many slate the Pioneer but I think it's still a great tt.

DougK said:
plastic penguin said:

I did an awful lot of research before I pulled the trigger on the Marantz, there are some excellent reports on the net from actual owners of this tt. Yes, it has it's foibles, everything has. It's based on the CA Emotion, which at the time was their base unit; this entry level is now catered for by the Concept; the Emotion SE is now the next up in line with many attributes carried over from the Emotion. This all points to the Marantz being a decent tt, bulit by Clearaudio, Marantz badging. I wanted something different to the Rega-Project designs.

If I had £1.5-2.5K to spend this would bring a lot of very good tt's into the equation, including the Gyro. One thing you haven't factored in is that I believe the Gyro comes without a cartridge so you would need to add another £300 for a reasonable cartridge, (decent cart comes with the Marantz as standard).

Would I pay £1.5K for the Marantz - probably not, but then why should I when I got one for nearly the same price as the Concept...

What will be interesting is the comparison between my current Pioneer and the Marantz. Many slate the Pioneer but I think it's still a great tt.

Can't counter your reasoning. There's no-way I'd argue one way or another about the pros and cons of the Marantz or the Emotion. But based availability, or lack of, the Marantz wouldn't be top of my list.

Don't doubt for one minute about its SQ, ClearAudio Concept is a better solution for my needs - or the Emotion if one comes up after I've sold the CDP.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:

Have you heard the TT15 play? I think you would pay the 1.5k after hearing it and comparing it to other turntables in the same prince range.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
DougK said:
kevinJ said:

HC hifi is the same seller on eBay that I am purchasing my Marantz from. However, it's been 3 days since I placed my order and still haven't received any response from them.... should I be worried? Payment is safe as I used PayPal.

Just send him an email (use the company email) and ask him. I've never had problems with him and my TT15 and UD5007 were delivered a few days later. And I even bought that equipement just based on emails.

D

Deleted member 108165

kevinJ said:
Just send him an email (use the company email) and ask him. I've never had problems with him and my TT15 and UD5007 were delivered a few days later. And I even bought that equipement just based on emails.

Thanks Kevin. I just got a little worried when I hadn't heard from them for 4 days. But all's good, I received an email from them this morning stating they had now shipped my TT15.

D

Deleted member 108165

Not doubting your words for a minute, Kevin and bigfish, I can't wait for it to arrive. It was bigfish who initially piqued my interest with his report on this tt. We'll have to compare notes when it arrives *biggrin*

D

Deleted member 108165

It's arrived *yahoo* . Can't praise the seller "HC HiFi" enough, dispatched Thursday arrived today. Gonna take my time to set it up - daylight hours only, so this will probably have to wait until next weekend now. Hearing good reports of Nagaoka working well with Clearaudio so I'll install my MP300 on it first as it's only gathering dust at the moment, (2M Black currently fitted to the Pioneer).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts