Marantz PM7200

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently quite happy with my stereo setup but have been wanting to try the Marantz PM7200 to replace my Technics amp. I have just got a PM7200 through ebay which should hopefully be with me tomorrow.

I have read on a few site today that the 7200 gets quite hot under normal usage. I am not likely to use it in class A and will stick with the class AB mode. Can anyone help shed some light into how hot it is likely to get if it was left on for 4 - 6 hours with the volume dial at around the 9 o'clock mark? I have had the NAD 326BEE which I found got quite hot after a few hours, is the marantz the same as this?

Thanks for any advice.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Paul, I had a feeling you would reply as I believe I read you once had a PM7200?

Marie Antoinette

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think mine got overly hot.........?

Playing in Class A was a bit different, and did get warmer, which reminds me, switching to Class A is a bit more fiddly than just simply switching over, if I recall correctly, the amp has to be turned off first, then switched to class A, and then on again, but it was more than worth it!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Marie Antoinette, it has been delivered but im stuck at work until at least 8pm. I will have to try it over the weekend and see if it runs warm or worryingly hot

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
These things get quite warm to the touch when just sitting there really. I left mine on overnight at about 1 o clock by accident (source was turned off though) and the next morning it felt like i had left the radiators on! Love these amps though

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Ben, I think I worry about amps getting hot as the 2 I currently use are the technics which has a fan to blow the warm air out and my denon receiver which suprisingly runs quite cool unless I leave it on for 10 - 15 hours.

The amp is going into a unit which has a height of 240mm and seeing that the amp is 160mm tall that leaves just over 3 inches of clearance, I hope thats enough....

A

Anonymous

Ok I wasnt planning on listening to the amp yesterday but when I got home I couldnt resisit. I tried it in class A and class AB and found the that in class A the top end is a little smoother. Maybe a longer listen would reveal more of a difference.

I left it switched off for a while and tried it in class AB and I think it sounds brilliant. It controls the bass on my BX2's so well and although it may not have as much low end bass pressence as the NAD C326bee I found the mid bass better on the PM7200. Only problem was within an hour of listening to it in normal operation with the volume at 9 o'clock mark the amp was already running pretty hot mostly towards the top rear of the unit. I will give it a longer listen tonight and see how much hotter the casing gets.

Also I have noticed when I turn the power on there is an instant relay click and then it there is a delay of about 5 seconds before the sound comes on, is this normal for this amp? My other amps are similar but dont take quite as long as this one for the sound to turn on.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Mohsin said:
Also I have noticed when I turn the power on there is an instant relay click and then it there is a delay of about 5 seconds before the sound comes on, is this normal for this amp? My other amps are similar but dont take quite as long as this one for the sound to turn on.

My PM7001 is exactly the same, so presumably it's quite normal.

avalon

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
DIB said:
Mohsin said:

My PM7001 is exactly the same, so presumably it's quite normal.

Yep, mine too.

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Mohsin

Weren't you looking at Rotel's RCD-965BX?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick im surprised you remembered :clap: Yes I was looking to get a Rotel RCD-965BX but I missed out on a few ebay auctions of units which were in excellent condition. And as the Marantz CD63 ki is a pretty decent player I have decided to abondon my search for the rotel (for a few months).

A

Anonymous

DIB and Avalon thanks for the replies. Does the 7001 also run quite hot?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Mohsin said:
DIB and Avalon thanks for the replies. Does the 7001 also run quite hot?

Nope, barely any heat at all. I've had Radio Paradise on the SBT playing whilst I've been in the hallway decorating most of the day and its barely warm.

avalon

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I have the PM7200, not the 7001. Haven't had it hooked up for a while, but seem to remember it running quite warm in class A mode, less so in A/B mode.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the clicking is normal, take a peek at the internals and you'll see 2 baked bean can (almost) sized capacitors which im told need a few seconds to charge. And dont worry bout the heat either, those 2 meaty heatsinks can take care of themselves. The amp will "click" off and go in to protection mode should it get too hot. Mines done it a few time due to over zealous house party volumes running 4 speakers. :dance:

Anyway, enjoy your amp - its a cracker - even the ki pearl lite couldnt convince me to part with mine. :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Ben and for the info regarding the protection circuit. I have now had this amp for about a week and a half and absolutely love it :) .

I have read some people describe the sound of this amp as warm but I think this partnered with the Monitor Audio BX2's gives a lovely balanced sound.

Regarding the heat it generates, this has got better now that the weather has cooled down a little and I would say its about an hour of use before the top of the casing begins getting warm. I did however accidently leave it on over night once and it was like putting my hand on a radiator! But within 15 minutes of switching it off it had already cooled down.

All I need now is a Squeezebox Touch and thats my stereo setup completed..... well at atleast until I get the itch to try something else.

Mohsin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Mohsin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick im surprised you remembered :clap: Yes I was looking to get a Rotel RCD-965BX but I missed out on a few ebay auctions of units which were in excellent condition. And as the Marantz CD63 ki is a pretty decent player I have decided to abondon my search for the rotel (for a few months).

Hi Mohsin

Thanks for your reply.

Fair enough although i'll only forgive for a few months
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Anyway, what are you still doing up at this time?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
Mohsin said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Mohsin

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Mohsin

Thanks for your reply.

Fair enough although i'll only forgive for a few months
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Anyway, what are you still doing up at this time?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Rick thanks for the extension on the 965BX :rofl:

I am enjoying a night shift at work and as you can probably tell I am working really hard :roll:

While on the subject of the Rotel 965, do you know if it could play CDR's. I have the odd CDR that I play from time to time.

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS