alex1/9

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
HI,

I have a marantz pm7200. It must be 20 odd years old and was bought second hand. I know that it's supposed to be a good amp but I think it needs a service. A service will cost over £150 though. My question is how much can a service improve the sound of an amp.? Or should I just cut my losses and buy a new amp.

Thanks for any advice

Alex

Welcome to the forum Alex,
I guess that's going to depend on what is wrong with the sound now.
Cleaning switches and possibly replacing the odd capacitor or two is unlikely to significantly improve the sound over and above what it was like originally.
Having said that you're going to have to spend a lot to get anywhere near the quality of that amp nowadays.
Still fetching over £300 on eBay.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 116933

HI,

I have a marantz pm7200. It must be 20 odd years old and was bought second hand. I know that it's supposed to be a good amp but I think it needs a service. A service will cost over £150 though. My question is how much can a service improve the sound of an amp.? Or should I just cut my losses and buy a new amp.

Thanks for any advice

Alex

I actually still have this amp bought it from new 15-20years ago, its real beauty is that I can be used in class A mode. The amp is fantastic and worth every penny to get it back up and running if there is anything wrong with it, Nothing today at its original 300-400 quid rrp will beat it.

Reactions: Al ears

alex1/9

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
My brother just got himself a new set up and it just sounded better, just thinking theres somethig I could do.

Seems worth getting it looked at so thank you for all your advice, much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 116933

My brother just got himself a new set up and it just sounded better, just thinking theres somethig I could do.

Seems worth getting it looked at so thank you for all your advice, much appreciated.

Many things can be affecting that

Speaker placement, room, bits and bobs in front of the speakers and so on. even the speakers themselves are they placed on stands heck you could be even sitting in the wrong place (sounds silly but true)

What do you class as "better" are the highs higher the lows lower or is it its just louder.

Do free things first before spending money.

I really doubt the Marantz needs a service you would hear it and/or visually see it inside. You could just take the top off and see if there is any obvious signs of corrosion, leaking bulging capacitors are quite obvious, if there is take it in for a clean.

OR take the amp round your brothers leaving everything else the same and just hook up your amp and see what happens if everything goes lifeless then you might have a problem.

Gray

....but it's still not clear that anything is actually wrong with yours.
Next week I am due to be 'servicing' an amp for somebody. It has intermittent crackly, distorted sound.
When I cure the problems, the owner will pay me £25. If, for any reason I don't, he will pay me nothing.
Before paying £150!! be very sure that there's some ACTUAL benefit to be had - and that you will be able to confirm whether the 'service' has achieved that benefit - otherwise you will be completely wasting £150.

alex1/9

Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
I took the top off, it looked proper ropey inside. Seems like there's something leaking. The man won't charge me if it's beyond repair. Reckon its worth getting checked over. Its seems like 6 and two threes. Might be not worth it but I wont get anything as good for £150.

I'm very grateful for you thoughts. It has definitely helped.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I took the top off, it looked proper ropey inside. Seems like there's something leaking. The man won't charge me if it's beyond repair. Reckon its worth getting checked over. Its seems like 6 and two threes. Might be not worth it but I wont get anything as good for £150.

I'm very grateful for you thoughts. It has definitely helped.
I'm happy to hear you'll be getting something for your money.
Hope it's a good investment for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts