Marantz PM7003, good ?

matthewpiano

I haven't heard the PM7003, but the direct replacement for the PM7001 KI is actually the PM8003. The 7003 is replacement for the standard 7001.

I would imagine they are well worth an audition, although if you can pick up a cheap 7001 KI I would. Its a superb amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Having heard them all three, I would personally rate them in this order(from'worst' to best: PM7001, PM7003, PM8003 and PM7001KI.

There's not much between the 7001KI and 8003, but the first only edges it, it sounds just a bit more detailed and the bass extension sounded slightly better.

I couldn't tell much difference between the 7001 and 7003 to be honest, so if you can find one for a bargain price I'd go for that, if you can find a 7001KI for a bargain price I'd wholeheartedly recommend that one.

matthewpiano

vinod_david:It's hard to find a used PM7001 KI, no one wants to sell it mind you. As of now a new 7001KI, i saw it somewhere was around £440 new. Is that a bargain?

IMO its an awful lot of amplifier for the money.

A

Anonymous

Q: How would the 8003 or 7000KI compare to my 840A (v1)?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:vinod_david:It's hard to find a used PM7001 KI, no one wants to sell it mind you. As of now a new 7001KI, i saw it somewhere was around £440 new. Is that a bargain?

It has a somewhat loose, etheral quality to it which may or may not appeal. Very relaxing to listen to but imo it slightly lacks structure and solidity to the music compared to say your Denon. A tad bright but very open and fluid sounding. Perhaps I should mention that is has been quite a while since I heard one.

Not wanting to hijack the thread just a question to you MP, is there any particular reason you are trying M&S902i's with your denon?

matthewpiano

drummerman:
matthewpiano:vinod_david:It's hard to find a used PM7001 KI, no one wants to sell it mind you. As of now a new 7001KI, i saw it somewhere was around £440 new. Is that a bargain?

It has a somewhat loose, etheral quality to it which may or may not appeal. Very relaxing to listen to but imo it slightly lacks structure and solidity to the music compared to say your Denon. A tad bright but very open and fluid sounding. Perhaps I should mention that is has been quite a while since I heard one.

Not wanting to hijack the thread just a question to you MP, is there any particular reason you are trying M&S902i's with your denon?

I'm finding the BR2s a bit too thick and syrupy sounding - lacking in 'air'. I've had the 902is for ages from a previous system so I'm just trying them as an intermediate measure until I've saved up some pennies for something better like the KEFs you recommended or the Epos M12is. I never really liked the 902is much before but they seem to avoid the tendency to sound too bright with my Denon.

I agree with you about the amps. I prefer the Denon to the Marantz which is why I bought it.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:drummerman:

I'm finding the BR2s a bit too thick and syrupy sounding - lacking in 'air'. I've had the 902is for ages from a previous system so I'm just trying them as an intermediate measure until I've saved up some pennies for something better like the KEFs you recommended or the Epos M12is. I never really liked the 902is much before but they seem to avoid the tendency to sound too bright with my Denon.

I agree with you about the amps. I prefer the Denon to the Marantz which is why I bought it.

Fair play. Perhaps also consider getting one or two good small subs such BK Minotaur to partner any future speakers. It has the effect of tightening/extending bass plus some other, less immediate, benefits. They're only around a hundred quid and good future investment. I've not used one of the many systems that go through this house without it, even large floor standers. Be interesting to hear of your system progress.

matthewpiano

Cheers. I'll keep you posted on where I end up going with it. Its gonna take a while to save up for good enough speakers for the Denon.

BTW I just checked out the Minotaur on the BK website. Seems its discontinued now so I'll have to think about a second hand one. Sounds worth a try though.

TRENDING THREADS