Marantz PM66 KI or PM68? (Thaiman and Andrew please too!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm a marantz enthusiast and I'm not going to deny it, hence me choosing between these two amplifiers. The Pm66 Ki is already in my possession, though it's currently broken. On occassion, it will switch off. I've sent it to the bloke that sold it to me, and according to him there's a little break in the print. He can solder it, but it's going to take some time.

As it has already taken 4 weeks, I was getting rather impatient. Because of this, he offered me a full refund. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment, and the money I will get from him should be used for a new amplifier straight away. Like I said, I'm a Marantz fan and I spotted a nice used PM68 on a website.

I'm really torn though, I loved the sweet sound of the Pm66 KI, is the PM68 going to be an improvement or should I stick with what I have. Right now, I'm opting for the new PM68, because I don't know how reliable the PM66 KI wil be after I get it back from repairs.

Thaiman, please help me out here. I knew you especially should have some good words from me.
emotion-1.gif

That doesn't mean I'm only looking for replies from Thaiman though, anyone with some good suggestions is free to respond.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I would get a refund, may I ask how much? and if you could post the link of the website that you saw the PM68 would help me....to help you.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
I would get a refund, may I ask how much? and if you could post the link of the website that you saw the PM68 would help me....to help you.
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

I'd get a full refund, I figure it'll be approximately 175 euros, as I bought the amplifier and a CD5000 from him for a shared price. And I don't know how good your dutch is, but here is the PM68

Would the PM68 really be an improvement over the PM66 KI? I'm under the impression the PM68 is the same amplifier as the PM78, but without class A, is this true?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The PM68 is a replacement over the PM66 but it never took off here in UK like the PM 66 did (although it look very similar to PM6000!, Andrew...Clare?)
emotion-18.gif

The spec look to be better than the standard PM66 (although it would be hard to compare to KI version). This is a hard question for me as I never heard the PM68! If I am right in it is the same as PM6000 then yes, I would recomended to replace your PM66KI and the best thing is it's price very cheaply at 75 euro. All imho.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]although it look very similar to PM6000[/quote]

You mean the Marantz PM 6010, the PM 7000 or the latest PM 6001?
To my knowledge there never was a PM 6000 range.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]
The PM68 is a replacement over the PM66 but it never took off here in UK like the PM 66 did (although it look very similar to PM6000!, Andrew...Clare?)
emotion-18.gif

The spec look to be better than the standard PM66 (although it would be hard to compare to KI version). This is a hard question for me as I never heard the PM68! If I am right in it is the same as PM6000 then yes, I would recomended to replace your PM66KI and the best thing is it's price very cheaply at 75 euro. All imho.

[/quote]

I already sent an e-mail to the guy that's selling the PM68, he wants atleast 149 euro for it, as he claims it's in perfect condition.

Here's to hoping Andrew drops in, and can tell which would be the better amp. Thanks for your thoughts Thaiman, I really appreciate it.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tounra"]Marantz PM 6010[/quote]

That's the one! Many models from marantz.....many years ago, I know more about marantz CD player than Amp so I am sorry.
emotion-10.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd get your money back and look for another example of the amp tuned by he who one reader once referred to as 'that Mr Irishwater'.

The PM-66KI would be your best bet, and the company sold shedloads, so there should be a good few around unless the original buyers are clinging on to them - and who could blame them?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
I'd get your money back and look for another example of the amp tuned by he who one reader once referred to as 'that Mr Irishwater'.

The PM-66KI would be your best bet, and the company sold shedloads, so there should be a good few around unless the original buyers are clinging on to them - and who could blame them?

[/quote]

So sonically the PM66 KI would be a better bet? And are they prone to breaking down, or did I just have bad luck with my current one? I'm sorry for all these questions, but I'm short on money and want to get the best I can for my money.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]

So sonically the PM66 KI would be a better bet? And are they prone to breaking down, or did I just have bad luck with my current one? [/quote]

Yes it would be a better bet, and no, no more prone to problems than any other amp of this age...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts