Marantz pm6005 shuts down

hoggie3245

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
no laptop is fine but now i connected the mp3 player switched on the mp3 player and it went out again, so i switched on the mp3 player then connected it and it works fine:?

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
When you play to loud or with to much bass the amp will protect itself and automatic lower the volyme and mute for a few seconds.

hoggie3245

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
the volume levels bass and treble were all normal levels as soon as i switched on the lap top the amp went out the same with the mp3 player i have them connected throught the cd port to the headphone jack the mp3 player is playing now and I can adjust the volume no problem but when I switch on the mp3 connected it outs the amp switch on the mp3 thern connect and its fine the lap top is the same exept adjust the volume and it goes out

oliver2014

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I also have the same problem of the Marantz PM6005 shutting down. I have repeatedly turned it on and off for like 25 times and each time any sound at all, no matter how low level briefly comes through, it spontaneously shuts down. It is EXTREMELY frustrating. It does not matter whether you start the volume at minimal level and gradually increase it (you can get sound for about 10 seconds at a whisper level through your speakers if you keep the volume extremely low).

I also have a Marantz NA7004 and a Marantz CD6005. Neither of these sources makes a difference to the shut down problem.

I shall be taking my amplifier back to the shop as it is just NOT acceptable. An amplifiers sole purpose in life is to amplify sound and play it through thre speakers. I'd be better off with a £50 amp at this rate; at least I'd get some sound. I've only owned it for less than a month and I am very disappointed. What a fricking hastle.

matthewpiano

Double check your speaker connections at amp and speaker end to make sure there are no stray strands of cable that might be causing a short circuit, as this will put your amp into protection mode. If this doesn't work it may also be worth trying some alternative speaker cable as if the speaker cable is damaged anywhere it could have a similar effect.

matthewpiano

hoggie3245 said:
the volume levels bass and treble were all normal levels as soon as i switched on the lap top the amp went out the same with the mp3 player i have them connected throught the cd port to the headphone jack the mp3 player is playing now and I can adjust the volume no problem but when I switch on the mp3 connected it outs the amp switch on the mp3 thern connect and its fine the lap top is the same exept adjust the volume and it goes out

The amp could be sensing an incoming signal which is too high and reacting by going into protection mode. Quite possibly the MP3 player is causing a surge when it is switched on and this surge takes it beyond the permitted signal level for the amp's inputs.

With the laptop does the amp cut out when you turn the volume up using the laptop or using the amp's own volume control?

vinsona85

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Try turning off standby mode - hold down SOURCE DIRECT for more than 5 secs (power indicator flashes once) - it maybe the amp thinks it has lost a signal even though its still playing music as you haven't played with the mp3 player. Worth a try so you know its might be something more serious...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts