Marantz pm6005 question

jgfaclon22

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Currently I have a denon dab38 mini hifi. I found the sound quality to be very good value for money. As time went on I thought the stock speakers were not the best quality and went out and bought some Wharfdale 9.1 based on some reviews here and elsewhere.

I was dissatisfied with the 9.1's , returned them and bought MA Bx2's. I am very happy with them and now have become intertested in upgrading my mini hifi. I have not that much money to spend, 300. I was looking at the Marantz pm6005. I was going to use the denon dab38 as a tuner and cd player instead of an amp.

My question is would i be better off saving my money to buy a better mini hifi system for the unit would have better sound quality with all the devices i.e cd player, tuner, amp under one roof or would it be ideal , at the moment and worth the money to connect the marantz pm 6005 to the denon dab38.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome. I cannot say I have compared these two sources, though I've heard both on separate occasions. You certainly should be able to do as you suggest, assuming the Denon has line level outputs.

I think for me it would depend on how much you value the convenience of an all in one. As you like Marantz, maybe the MCR610 would be worth considering?

Peter Kudelstaart

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
If I were you I would eventually get a seperate amp and cd player. If not for looks a matching pair of seperates should sound better than getting an amp and keeping your Denon M-series.

If you really just want an amplifier you can save some money by getting a PM6004. The dac in the PM6005 and the PM6005 being the current model makes it a lot more expensive than the PM6004. Also the new PM5005 is now available which is quite a step up from the previous PM5004. As you now have a Denon all in one you could also look into the Denon PMA520ae or PMA720ae which are cheaper than their Marantz counterparts.

matthewpiano

You may find that the MCR610 is a good solution. It is a very good sounding unit (much more capable than the DM39DAB), and its flexibility is superb. Certainly worth a try, and it will work well with your MA speakers.

If you decide to go down the seperates route, I'd suggest auditioning a few amps within your budget and also exploring the options for saving a little longer. My money within budget would go to either the PM6005 or the Rotel RA10, but it would be worth you auditioning a Rega Brio-R and an Exposure 1010 to decide whether to wait a little longer. The latter two amps are a substantial step up from the the already capable PM6005 and RA10, and both can fight quite comfortably with pretty much anything below £1k.

jgfaclon22

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I am considering some suggestions like saving up for a better amp such as the exposure amp, etc. It might be worth saving up if I can jusitfy the addidtional costs. THanks again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts