Marantz PM6005 problem - hissing, turns off

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I bought a Marantz PM6005 new from Amazon in April. I've had no problems with it until recently.

When turning up the volume, the right speaker cone "sucks in" by about an inch (!!) and makes a god-awful hissing noise. If I turn up the volume knob slowly, it's quieter. If it do it quickly, the speaker makes an almighty pop and the amp shuts itself down, having to be turned off and on at the mains again before it will work. Clearly some kind of protection circuit tripping.

I'm worried I might be damaging my nice speakers. Is this something I might be able to fix myself? I've heard it can be to do with contamination of the contacts inside the volume knob? *unknw*

Cheers for any help anyone can offer,

Joseph. *smile*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't plug in any speakers to the amp. It has probably a failed power section component and is throwing out DC to the speakers (the cone sucking in on turn on is the symptom of this). It will most certanly damage your speakers, if it hasn't already.

If it's under warranty you know what to do. Contact the dealer that sold you the unit and send it for inspection/repairs. If this isn't an option, contact Marantz directly.

Good luck.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your help.

I'm going to take the amplifier to a parcel dropoff point tomorrow. Amazon no longer stock it so they're giving me a full refund.

Leaves me without my music system for over a week though *sad* . Don't know what I'm going to do with myself! *scratch_one-s_head*

I'm really worried about what you said about my speakers being damaged though *cray2* , going to be paranoid about it forever!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
99.99% chances are the speakers are fine. When you get a new amp just get your ear close to the tweeters to check if they work. Woofers rarely get damaged because they are more robust drivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts