Marantz PM6005 or Yamaha A-S500 for use with Monitor Audio BX2s

Edward Kelly

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Just looking for some input around a suitable amp for the BX2s. I like the power output of the Yamaha, but understand in can sound quite clinical. The Marantz seems to get great reviews, but i see the power is alot less.

I am looking for a "warm" detailed sound, espcially for Blues / Rock music, any comments / experiences greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

Ed

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Personally I never gelled with the Yamaha; too forward and bright sounding; even with the likes of Q Acoustic speakers.. It's very much on a par with Cambridge Audio gear IMO

For the the BX2's need a good, solid but smoother sounding amp behind them and the Marantz will do very well indeed :)

The BX2's are easy enough to drive so the PM6005 wont stuggle at all...

Avoid bright speaker cables such as the QED Silver Anniversary; aim for the likes of Chord Carnival Silverscreen or Odyssey 2 if you can

craig84

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I Actually found the AS500 to be a horrible sounding amplifier to my ears. I had one for a while and returned it for a cambridge audio SR10 which was a much better match for my tannoys and i loved it to bits for the year or so that i had it. I would definitely go for the Marantz if it were my decision

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Edward Kelly said:
Legend! Thank you

I am also leaning towards the Marantz, like the idea of the DAC, as i want to connect it to my pc via coaxial cable.

Have this cable - was gonna set up in Bi Wire

http://www.whathifi.com/review/audioquest-flx-slip-144/user-reviews

:rockout:

Cool; glad to have helped 8)

With regards to bi-wire; I'd stick to single wire but connect 1HF and 1 LF on the opposite sides at an angle (lower LF / upper HF) but keep the connector bars in place or even better; replace them with a small piece of your speaker cable :)

D

Deleted member 108165

Edward Kelly said:
Would Bi-Wiring make much difference, i was planning on going down this route.

Not on these speakers, I had them with a PM6004 and tried both single and bi-wire; single wire sounded better, (only my opinion). With the same amp I moved-on to BX5 - bi-wired, and now RX2 bi-wired.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Purchased Yam AS 500 and after 2 days changed with Mara 6004...

It seems better and more bodied / smooth / liquid sounding.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Edward Kelly said:
Purchased the MarantzPM6005, Will set up and test tonight!! :cheers:

Spot on !!!

Had PM6004 before and it's a lovely amp, warm and detailed where it needs to be and plenty of power too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts