Marantz PM6005 or Onkyo A9010 for Dali Zensor Pico

Hi All,

A newbie here (both on this forum and to the Hi-Fi world) just trying to make my first purchase and need a hand in deciding between 2 integrated amplifiers for my little Pico speakers (2 channel only, no sub).

I was leaning towards the PM6005 for the brand name but after reading reviews a lot of people have complained of it failing within a year or two of having it. The A9010 is at the same price point and featured what I needed (2x digital inputs 1x optical and 1x coaxial).

I called Richer sounds and they said the Onkyo would suit my speakers better as the Marantz is better suited for bigger speakers but going instore I was told the Marantz was better as it provided more detail and power to the Pico's.

Which one do you think would suit my Pico speakers best?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
The Picos at 84db aren't easy to drive, need power, and both the Marantz and Onkyo are marginal. I'd look at the more powerful Yamaha amps. The AS 501 will drive those speakers well, you want 75 watts as a minimum.

With such tiny speakers, presumably a necessity for you, there is a limit to what they can do. Modest speakers and a modest amp such as you are considering will go fine together. Beware volume changes on any demo switchover - louder usually sounds better!

if you can manage with bigger speakers then do so. Otherwise, the ultimate output and bass reproduction will be limited - it's just physics! Doesn't mean you can't enjoy them immensely played within their limitations.

matthewpiano

Can you stretch to the Dali Zensor 1 instead of the Pico? This with the Marantz PM6005 would make a good combination with more all-round ability.

When you demo the Yamaha make sure you check out the volume control. It has a funny jump in it somewhere around the 8 o'clock position and if you listen at low to medium volumes you may find this annoying.

matthewpiano said:
Can you stretch to the Dali Zensor 1 instead of the Pico? This with the Marantz PM6005 would make a good combination with more all-round ability.

When you demo the Yamaha make sure you check out the volume control. It has a funny jump in it somewhere around the 8 o'clock position and if you listen at low to medium volumes you may find this annoying.

The Dali Zensor 1's were actually what I wanted in the first place, but the wife has chimed in and said they are too big to sit next to the TV on the unit we have at present. My heart was set on the Zensor 1 but it made sense to go with the Pico's purely because of unit space.

I am going to Richer sounds now to demo the PM6005 and AS501 with the Picos and see what comes of it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Rob

Hi All,

So i went to Richer Sounds and demo'd the Marantz PM6005 paired with the Dali Zensor Pico's. Wow could it deliver loud sound, but it sounded very high pitched almost as if there was too much treble and not enough bass. I assumed it was because it was the Pico's and Zensor 1's could produce that punch I am looking for but not the Pico's. The purpose of my purchase is for TV shows/movies and Music. so not sure if the Pico's can do the job as said by nopiano. I am not sure if the reviews I am reading are true that the PM6005 is too 'bright'

I unfortunately did not have enough time to demo the Yamaha AS-501 with the Zensor 1s but the guy at Richer Sounds believes the PM6005 is that bit better than the AS-501 even with the lower wattage. and the Zensor 1s paired with PM6005 could produce that punch that I am after.

This puts me back a step... I will need to spend a day in Richer sounds lol. any other recommended amp/speaker at a budget of £400 total?

Thanks guys!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I bought the Cambridge audio xs50 recently as I needed its specs. It is quite small with good bass, probably not s small as the Pico's, but small enough, might be worth a look

The Marantz with the Dali Zensor 1 is £399! For a bit of money spare - towards a CD player? - how about the Onkyo, with Wharfedales highly rated by music lover and piano expert matthewpiano?

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah013086

matthewpiano

The Diamond 220 are indeed superb, particularly at their price, though they may be a little large for the OP.

I'm using my Dyns instead at present because they do have a step more depth for big orchestral, choral, and operatic works, but I still rate the Wharfedales very highly.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
You could always buy some second hand Dai Lektor 1 or 2 models and wall mount these. They should still sound better than the cheaper Dali's and you wouldn't have an issue fitting them on a small stand by the TV.

gasolin

Blackdawn said:
You could always buy some second hand Dai Lektor 1 or 2 models and wall mount these. They should still sound better than the cheaper Dali's and you wouldn't have an issue fitting them on a small stand by the TV.

The 2's have much better bass then the 1's

matthewpiano said:
The Diamond 220 are indeed superb, particularly at their price, though they may be a little large for the OP.

I'm using my Dyns instead at present because they do have a step more depth for big orchestral, choral, and operatic works, but I still rate the Wharfedales very highly.

so my wife and I spent an hour in the demo room of Richer Sounds in Watford. With a budget of £400 for an amp and a pair of speakers. I finally decided to go with the PM6005 and Dali Zensor 1 for £399

I also tried the Dali Zensor Pico (initial purchase) but they were way too weak and lacked the depth required but are great for their size if you're limited in space. The Wharfedale Diamond 220 although had plenty of depth and bass with its larger cabinet was lacking in clarity, it almost sounded muffled. The monitor bronze 3 were a great alternative to the Zensor 1 but were outside my price range and were a tad heavy on the bass.

The final choice of Zensor 1 were just the right balance of clarity and depth with the Wife approval factor of high gloss and good looks it was an easy win, as i used our wedding song to make the sale to her!

All in all I would recommend the above pairing if like me you're looking for your first purchase, have a budget of £400 for your AV and have to consider the "decor" of the living room

Thanks for everyone's help.

Rob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts