Marantz PM6003 - is there a better 2nd hand alternative?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Blackdawn:It's quite a lot to spend on an amp with no warranty. What if it breaks down the first time you use it? I know you get a better amp for your money second hand but what about ex-demo instead, you should get some warranty and after sales help if it goes wrong.

Hence why I always recommend you go and purchase and ex dem or s/hand unit from a well known dealer. Satisfaction assured.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I know what you're saying guys - All very sensible stuff.

I might have secured one of the Rotel's from a reputable second hand source so I'm slightly more comfortable than being totally blind.

As a fall back - I've been offered a Musical Fidelity A3.2 Dual Mono Integrated Amplifier at a price of £450 (I think it's a bit high). Is this a good deal or way off?

How would it compare quality wise to the Rotel 1062?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Ive had the rotel 1062 few yrs back and it was great. if you can get a nad c370 2nd hand on ebay go for it. it really is a powerhouse amp and if i hadnt blown mine up ( my fault) Id still have it. plus i used it with so many diff speakers without fault, Rodgers LS7,MA GR60, MA 8i, B&W 602 s3 and 601 s2-separatly and together ( p.s Rik from musicraft really knows his onions-Ive found his advise priceless.)

kit - audiolab 8200cdq ( in 2 days time ), audiolabs 8000m monos, chord odyssey 2. monitor audio GR60 and RSW12 sub

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I'm watching a 370 at the moment on the bay.

any idea about the comparison to the Musical Fidelity a3.2, and how much these should be going for 2nd hand?

T

the record spot

The A3.2 would be the pick of the ones you've mentioned. Comfortably ahead of the rest - bear in mind a lot of the Arcams are overpriced IMO good though they were. The Alpha 9 is often pitched at £250 and that's questionable given it could be had for about £170 BIN a couple of years ago. Likewise the 10 - £350 is a tad steep. Build is a poor second in both cases compared to the likes of Audio Analogue's Puccini SE (also £900 a decade ago) or the aforementioned Musical Fidelity amp.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that.

I'm just trying to gain some back up incase I dont find / get a Rotel RA1062.

The Musical Fidelity A3.2 is very tempting - should be able to get one for approx £400

I did see and Audio Anologue Crescendo for around £400 too - whats that amp like? I'd never heard of it to be honest so trying to guage where it fits compared to the Mf A3.2 and the Rotel 1062

A

Anonymous

tommyb:
Thanks for that.

I'm just trying to gain some back up incase I dont find / get a Rotel RA1062.

The Musical Fidelity A3.2 is very tempting - should be able to get one for approx £400

I did see and Audio Anologue Crescendo for around £400 too - whats that amp like? I'd never heard of it to be honest so trying to guage where it fits compared to the Mf A3.2 and the Rotel 1062

have you considered one of these?

£600 and you can get one on a months free trial, if you don't like it you just pay for the return postage to sweden.

they are said to compete with amps that cost three times as much..

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
those do look very appealing, but, way out of my budget right now! may have to be a consideration for upgrade in the future or something

My max is £400 but that leaves me no options for interconnects and speaker cables :(

Any ideas on the Rotel v's Musical fidelity v's Audio Analogue?

tommyb:
HI Rick

what do you think about my comparisons between the Rotel and the Musical Fidelity and Audio Analogue?

Hi tommyb

I've not directly compared the three amplifiers to each other.

All i'll say is that the RA-1062 has a zest to its presentation (without tipping over the edge) which when combined with its overall quality and stability of power will energise your Quad speakers
emotion-2.gif

Btw, just to be clear i don't deal with any used components.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rick

thanks for that - much appreciated. well, I'll let you know how I get on and probably be pestering you for more advice at some point :)

tommyb:
Hi Rick

thanks for that - much appreciated. well, I'll let you know how I get on and probably be pestering you for more advice at some point :)

Hi tommyb

Your welcome.

Btw, please forward me your details so that i can invoice you
emotion-4.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
I've just won a black Rotel RA1062 from the bay at £299
emotion-1.gif
purchased from StuffUsell.

Hope it's all good.

It's an American Model So i'll need to get a transformer (step down) but that should cause no problems - well, I hope not anyway lol

Eagerly awaiting your invoice
emotion-4.gif

Hi tommyb

I hate to say this but ime transformers don't help amplifiers to performance at their optimum. A RA-1062 which has been designed for your region is much more preferable. Is there any possibility of withdrawing from this transaction?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Really??? Oh no :(

I'll contact the sellers and see what they say - if it's not going to work properly then I don't want it.

Looks like I might have to opt for one of my back-ups instead, after hours and hours of searching, that was the only RA1062 on sale in the last 8 months or so, apart from one which had just sold 1 day before I started this link - fate eh?!

Mind you, the misucal fidelity and Audio Anologue do seem like good fall backs I think - oh lord this is so frustrating.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts