second hand amp?

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
For some reason i'm unable to reply to my thread I started the other day about the cambridge audio Topaz SR10 but here goes...

i (think) im now looking for a decentish second amp to power my Eltax Silverstone 200w floorstanders that ill be setting up in my kitchen as my second system (the first being a vintage yamaha amp and b&w speakers). Due to it being in the kitchen im going to be restricted in terms of where i can place things etc. so i don't see there being much point in breaking the bank - hence why im looking at second hand. I had looked at brand new e.g. the Topaz or Yamaha AS500 but £250-300 is a little bit steep for me, given my needs and it going in the kitchen. The only real requirement i have for the second amp is something that will be suitable to drive the speakers, with the occasional need for loud volumes should i move it to the garden. In the past on here i've been recommended the Arcam Alpha range or NAD C350 (i can't find the original post) but these seem to be fetching quite high prices (well in excess of £100) and more importantly, there's nothing local to me and most sellers don't seem to advertise postage. If that's the sort of money i need to spend then so be it but if something decentish can be had for less then im inclined to go for that.

Can anyone suggest any suitable alternatives? alternatively, am i worth spending more and going brand new? how would something like the yamaha or Topaz compare to one of the Arcam or NAD? finally, are there any other places apart from ebay that i should be looking?

thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
As no else has responded I would go for used, try Arcam, NAD, Audiolab or Creek. Arcam 9 are about £200, Audiolab 8000A should find for under £300. Probably best to browse on ebay for whats available.

Burnz0

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the response! I've found an Arcam Alpha 9 Integrated Amp with remote for £125 on gumtree within reasonable driving distance to me. Unforunately there are no pics (although im not sure if they really add any value) but its described as "in perfect working order". I'd hope i may be able to knock £20 off the price as well. Do you think it could be a good shout? Assuming i went to look at it would it be reasonable to assume that if i hear it working then it's probably okay or are there more thorough tests to carry out when buying second hand?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Thats a very good price, I would go and check it out. Try and check all the selectors(phono, cd, tuner etc) work as that a common fault on the Arcam 9.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
seems pretty good money considering what they go for on ebay which seems to be £180+. if you can it for around £100 then give yourself a pat on the back :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts