Marantz PM-6005 or Marantz MCR-510? HELP!!

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have just ordered yesterday the amplifier Marantz PM-6005 for my speakers MO RX6. This morning when going through a website, I found another great Marantz amplifier (MCR-510) that has streaming capabilities (airplay, wifi...etc). The MCR-510 is less expensive than the PM-6005 and is more powerful on paper (2x60W Vs 2x45W for the PM-6005). I plan to use the amplifier to listen to FLAC, WAVE and MP3 files through airplay, so I'm wondering if I made the good choice to order the PM-6005 :quest: the only advantage that I see on the PM-6005 compared to the MCR-510 is that it has more inputs. I don't need all those because I'm not planning to have a cd-player, recorder...etc

I can still cancel my order today if I change my mind, so I would appreciate if someone can help me take a decision

Many thanks

matthewpiano

Either will drive the RX6s but I'm not sure they will control the RX6s. I'd be looking at a less featured amp that has a better power supply. Think Exposure 1010 or even seek out a used Arcam from higher up the range. Something like an A85 or an A32 would do the job nicely.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I think you have made the right choice. The RX6 are not that hard to drive (sensitivity is 90 db). I think the PM6005 will have no trouble with those speakers ;)

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
I think the RX6s are quite a big 'ask' for either amp.

Agreed, but I had a demo of this setup and I really liked the sound. The buyer told me that although the PM-6005 is not very powerful, but it can drive correctly the RX6

Now with the MCR-510 that has 2x60W, do you think it will be better?

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Cypher said:
I think you have made the right choice. The RX6 are not that hard to drive (sensitivity is 90 db). I think the PM6005 will have no trouble with those speakers ;)

So even if the MCR-510 is more powerful than the PM-6005, it will not drive better the RX6?

There must be a difference somewhere. why would Marantz release 2 amplifiers: one more powerful and has a lot of streaming options and the other one is less powerful but more expensive :roll: . I think that I miss something

matthewpiano

dakchi said:
Cypher said:

So even if the MCR-510 is more powerful than the PM-6005, it will not drive better the RX6?

There must be a difference somewhere. why would Marantz release 2 amplifiers: one more powerful and has a lot of streaming options and the other one is less powerful but more expensive :roll: . I think that I miss something

As I intimated in mr previous post, it isn't purely about power output but also about the quality of the mains transformer and how efficiently the amp uses current to provide that power, and also to support dynamic peaks whilst exerting as much control as possible over the loudspeaker cones. The PM6005 will do this better than the '510 and, as you liked the sound you heard using the 6005 this is the option you should choose out of these two. However, a better amplifier will get even more out of the RX6s.

thomas70

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello dakchi. I can't advise which is your better option in terms of amplification as I only have the M-CR510 with QA Concept 20's, so take note of the comments of others on that point. What I can say is the M-CR510 is a fantastic little unit in terms of it's built in features AirPlay, USB, Spotify, internet radio, ethernet, Wi-Fi etc. Very easy to get your digital music to it.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The M-CR510 is a more grown up micro system. The power rating is 60 watts @ 6 ohm.

The PM6005 has 45 watts @ 8 ohm. The PM6005 has only one thing to do ; amplifying.

But you liked the sound of the PM6005 / RX 6 combination.........that's the most important thing ;)

T

the record spot

I wouldn't bother with either of them. Save up and get a better amp, buy a better amp secondhand, there are plenty, but essentially, buy right, buy once.

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Great. Thank you all for your responses. I was worried about my order. Now I understand from you that I have made the right choice

dakchi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Didn't know the PM6005 had Airplay. Sounds like you made the right choice if that's all you need

That's OK, I will use my ATV3 for that
smiley-wink.gif

TRENDING THREADS