Marantz pm 6004 or 7004; which is better for MA RX 6?

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Today I've listen Mara pm 6004 with B&W 684 in shop; very good, at low volume too, in source direct and

with the spkr in the middle of the room: plenty of bass and highs not arsh at all; only 45 W, but good quality!

now I have the 6004 at home with my old ( 20 yrs) B&w and is ok... 8)

nads

peterpan said:
Which Maratnz amp would be better? cdp is Marantz cd 6004. Can find nothing about the pm 7004. Not popular?
for what you want change the speakers.

TBH it seems like you never listened to your set up before spending the money.

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Were can I find a picture of Marantz pm 6004 interior ( transformer, cooler, ecc) ?

And a good technical review?

T in advance!

peterpan said:
Which Maratnz amp would be better? cdp is Marantz cd 6004. Can find nothing about the pm 7004. Not popular?

I've always found budget Marantz and RS6s to be slightly disjointed. First bought the RS6s back in 2007 and I've tested most of the popular brands, and here's my recommendations:

Avoid: Marantz budget, Cambridge budget stuff, Rotel, Naim, Musical Fidelity*, Primare and Cyrus.

Try: Arcam, Creek, Roksan, Audio Analogue, Midrange Marantz, Leema**

*Only heard MF A300 and sounded pretty nondescript: warm, woolly bass and not very open. However, this may not be a truely representitive of MF amps overall.

**Sounds great with the right source and room acoustics.

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi peterpan,

Still searching..?

Please make a choice and enjoy your music, If you want to do good at least try the Exposure 2010s2 ans Naim 5i. If you want better and have more budget, try the Naim XS.

If you want a streaming solution, try the Naim Uniti. Chord cables and you are ready to enjoy your music and maybe grow your system with some Audiovector speaker, Audiovector -Naim is fantastic!

SolarGlider

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
It happens to be I've heard this combination quite a few times (PM7004 on RX6) and I would not recommend it. It is a brighter, harsher sounding combination that doesn't lack detail but refinement, like plasticpenguin said I would recommend to take a different amp on the RX6 which is capable of so much more when partnered right. If you really want to go Japanese I can recommend Denon, not that they are better then Marantz but I like MA a lot more on Denon. Listen to multiple amps on the RX6, you'll hear a lot of difference.

BTW: I think my budget Musical Fidelity V-dac II is performing admirably for it's price and does Naim really have budget stuff? :?

T

the record spot

I remember John Duncan rating the PM7001-KI amp, which was in the £500 or bracket I think. Maybe £600 (as per the CDP). The PM8003 can head for reasonable money now I think, but they tend towards a leaner bass. Articulate, not overblown and possibly a good match for your MAs. My money'd be on a warmer sounding amp given the brightness exhibited by the speaker as some people have claimed. Depends how you like your sounds to sound really; partnered well, I'm sure the RX6 is capable of some impressive stuff, but it's like anything else with separates - put the wrong stuff together and it'll sound way below what it's capable of.

EDIT: And if it was my money, I'd probably seek out a Unison Research Primo which you'll likely land for about £500 secondhand.
small-logo.png

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't like the sound of NAD. My amp is the 355, but i don't like the sound of NAD. I find it too clinical and too much bass. I know, many people find with my music, older rock, metal and pop, NAD good but i like a warmer sound. There is something missing by NAD. I think it is the midrange.

Yeah; the unison primo must be a very good amp. But expensive. It cost more than a Marantz pm 15s2 le. I need a black one.

Here in Holland i can buy a new Marantz PM Lite for 850 Euro. A new Marantz pm 15s2 in black for 1500 Euro and the unsison primo for 1600 euro.

matthewpiano

peterpan said:
I don't like the sound of NAD. My amp is the 355, but i don't like the sound of NAD. I find it too clinical and too much bass. I know, many people find with my music, older rock, metal and pop, NAD good but i like a warmer sound. There is something missing by NAD. I think it is the midrange.

Remind me what sources you are using again, and also what cables? I'm very surprised by what you say about the 355. Mid-range expressiveness is a NAD strength and they are about the least clinical affordable amps out there. Suggests something else in the system might be amiss.....

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I find the sound of the NAd amp aslo too sterile. The source is a Marantz cd 6004 :)

Speakercable: Van damme 4 mm. Interconnect standard cable.

matthewpiano

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with any of your components. I would have expected the whole set-up to sound pretty good!

I'd suggest auditioning an Arcam A18. I don't think you are going to get what you are looking for with Marantz, superb though they are. The Arcam is picky about speakers and can sound a bit slow and gutless through the wrong ones, but there seems to be a certain magic between Arcam and MA, and I've heard the A18 sounding very impressive through RX1s.

Dunno - the 8003 sounded pretty smooth with RS6s, comparatively speaking. I always thought budget Marantzes to be nice and smooth but the top-end was a little brittle... with RS6s. From my experience, the further you go up the Marantz scale they tend to smooth out slightly.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Alsi i'm thinking the Marantz pm ki lite or the 15s2. Last one is expensive ans i think overkill for my system. The pm lite are on the warm side told a dealer to me. The 15s2 sounds brighter. I know; many says this is better, but i like a warmer darker sound.

A

Anonymous

Im also interested in this. I never heard one comparing pm6004 with rave reviews to the more silent pm7004.

I too find NAD as tough on the ears with its upfront and cold midrange performance, having compared it to a pm7004 at home i prefer the smooth and easy Marantz. NAD gives u more power however.

matthewpiano

I've been giving this some thought today as the idea of NAD being cold/clinical is a real mystery to me. I decided to try something when I got in tonight - changing my Marantz CD6003 for my NAD C521BEE CD player. Instantly more atmospheric sound, with real depth and a more cohesive presentation. The slight clinical edge in my system disappeared immediately.

I'm not saying the C521BEE is a better player than the CD6003, but I do think it is every bit as good in a different way and it does show that all this is really about is synergy. To my mind you have a couple of options, either of which would solve your problem:

1 - Change the amp to one of the Marantz models or something like the Arcam A18.

2 - Change the CD player to a NAD C545BEE. (EDIT - Maybe the new NAD C546BEE as it becomes available)

I would strongly advise auditioning both routes with your speakers, just to make sure you have explored all the options.

A

Anonymous

damodollard said:
Upgraded from the Marantz PM6003 to the Pm7004 and was thrilled with upgrade, running a pair of MA RX1.

Very interesting!

What kind of improvement did u experience?

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
The K2 is a very good amp too, I don't know if it is a good match with RX6, you should try it. I find the Rx6 a difficult speaker to like. It needs a well furnitured house and lots of space around to sound good.

I think the RX6 is not very hard to sell on the 2nd hand market and I would try new speakers because I don't think your problem is the NAD amp.

Maybe you could give answer on some basic questions:

-how big is your room?

-what is your distance from ear to speaker?

-what is your distance from walls to speaker?

-do you have lots of soft furniture or not?

cheers

poldo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts