Marantz nr1200 vs pm6005/6/7 sound

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I would expect the pm6005/6/7 range of amplifiers to sound better simply because they are the same price with a lot less features. Does anyone have first hand experience of these to compare? If so what is your opinion?

Thanks

manicm

I agree, but the NR1200 may just sound great with B&W 606s to counter its smooth sound. Just remember it doesn’t have the latest HDMI standards - it handles standard HDR, so I would use a 4K disc player with two HDMI outputs, especially if you’re using Dolby Vision.

matthewpiano

It really depends what your primary use will be, and on the rest of your system. I can certainly vouch for the PM6007. It's an astonishingly capable amplifier, and isn't even ashamed by speakers the level of the KEF LS50 Meta and Wharfedale Linton 85. If music is your primary interest, I'd warmly recommend it.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks
I'm familiar with the pm series. I have a pm6006 and had a pm6005. I'm trying to setup a system in another room. It's always been a struggle to get good sound there ( hard to fill room) so I'm going to get a set of q Acoustics floorstanders. Trying to figure if the streaming amp is as good as it does so much

Delrtm

Jan 24, 2021
Visit site
I've just bought a NR1200 and a pair of Fyne Audio F302s, arrive on Mon. Can't demo so hoping they are a good match. I listen to a lot of music including vinyl so slightly concerned about the phono stage but didn't want to give up the movie watching via the amp (upgrading from an old Sony SDR) Seemed to tick all the boxes otherwise.

manicm

I've just bought a NR1200 and a pair of Fyne Audio F302s, arrive on Mon. Can't demo so hoping they are a good match. I listen to a lot of music including vinyl so slightly concerned about the phono stage but didn't want to give up the movie watching via the amp (upgrading from an old Sony SDR) Seemed to tick all the boxes otherwise.

Get another phono amp.

matthewpiano

From all the reviews I’ve read and watched it’s merely serviceable, maybe the 6007 has a better one. Remember this device is trying to do many things at once, at around the same price or slightly more.

The 6007 stage is definitely more than serviceable. It's better than my external NAD PP3 stage and as enjoyable as those I've had in Rega amplifiers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts