Marantz NR 1604 a hit in my house.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I have just bought a Marantz NR1604 and it's terrific - as with my new TV (Samsung UE46F8000 - see other topics), I am just starting to find my way around it but it is a definite step up from my previous Marantz NR1501. I really cannot understand why all AVR manufacterers do not offer at least one 'Slimline' AVR in their range as there must be a market - personally, I find the traditional 'big' AVR (.ie. those at 15cm and taller) to be very unattractive, not to mention far too demanding of available space, particularly if you take the 'breathing room' specified by most makers into account. All in all, I cannot recommend the Marantz highly enough if your space is restricted - indeed, even if you had plenty of room, I would still give it a definite thumbs up.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Fully agree! I have a set up with NR1604 and Wharfedale DX-1 HCP. It makes the speakers sing and the HT effects are seamless. I can easily fill up the room with such a great sound for movies as well as music (though in multi channel music mode). It is very good for background music filling as well as it is ready to party when the situation demands. I never thought I would love this small AVR but there is a lot more energy in this slimline, even when compared to the full sized Marantz Receiver (SR6008) in the same setup.

So what's the catch? Yes, there is a catch. It can not do two channel stereo at low volumes and there is no 3D imaging in stereo music. It could be the speaker set up.

This AVR is fully recommended for real people who just want a simple, functional AVR for movies and enough power to step up to occasional small house parties.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Wish tree - the Marantz does have pre outputs for the front speakers, so to improve 2 channel stereo you could add a stereo amp (like I have in my set up using the Marantz PM6004).

Have you compared it to a marantz sr receiver? I'm also looking at the nr1604 to replace my Denon for running my centre and rear speakers. Love to hear your thoughts.....

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 said:
Wish tree - the Marantz does have pre outputs for the front speakers, so to improve 2 channel stereo you could add a stereo amp (like I have in my set up using the Marantz PM6004).

Have you compared it to a marantz sr receiver? I'm also looking at the nr1604 to replace my Denon for running my centre and rear speakers. Love to hear your thoughts.....

Hi Pete1 - I used to be in the game with multiple boxes to get the best possible SQ but now a days, I am keen to put together a simple, one-box but good SQ system that can be used by other family members. Especially the set up that I mentioned is at our other home where we spend some good amount of time.

I did compare the NR1604 to SR6008 and SR is a bit smoother, cleaner possibly has enough power to run floorstanders but seem to miss the kind of integration NR1604 & Wharfedale DX-1. There is a lot more energy in the combination that I have set up and honestly every body is more than happy the way NR1604 performed and fitted in small space and having enough ventillation. Also SR was running alot more hotter than NR and did not want to risk putting that in tighter space.

As I was saying earlier, it is all about the targets one would like to achieve. In our case, the task was simple. Good to great SQ system, fit & forget, no need for any future expansion, smaller profile, easier to operate, room filling sound when needed, no critical listening to music - those were the needs. NR performed more than what was asked. It gave such a great sound with dance music at about 60 volume reading and the movies sound was exceptional for such small speakers. So all boxes were happily ticked.

I used to have Denon 2310 long time back and it was really really good. From memory, I have a feeling, that there would not be nothing much to achieve by swapping 2310 to NR1604 unless you have issues with 2310 (be it space or heat or some newer functionality). We use Spotify and AirPlay alot which comes to NR direclty and the SQ still is very good. I believe 2310 is no network AVR. If you need network AVR, then NR fits nicely since you already have an integrated amp to drive the front speakers. Again, I am not familiar with Q series speakers but my guess would be SR will fit better with Q series from KEF. Generally Wharfedales are a tad warmer and the energy of NR goes really well with them. Only gripe, if the sub of the DX-1package can be changed to something more solid but we would change nothing in that set up!

manicm

ayjaycee, how do do you find the 1604 with stereo?

To the other posters here - remember if you use the 1604 in 5.1, or stereo mode, the front speakers can be bi-amped with the Marantz itself (no additional amp needed - read the manual), which should improve stereo music considerably.

This amp may be my next stop.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Manicm,

Not sure what you mean by 'how do you find the 1604 with stereo?' but if you mean with music, the answer is good. Nowadays I play most of my music via an iPod Classic and Pure i20 dock using a Chord optical cable and it certainly sounds alright to me - as I understand it, using optical means that the 1604 takes care of the DAC duties. Friends have also commented on how good it sounds. I will however qualify that by saying that from my point of view, I'm not sure that I'm as critical as I used to be which is perhaps due to my hearing not being quite what it once was due to a lot of years firing guns and not always with protection which is pretty stupid but sometimes unavoidable.

I must read up more on the bi-amping thing as my speakers have that capability. The only real issue is that at the moment, my cables are all nicely hidden under the carpet and I would be reluctant to take it up to run more cables but if the benefits were that great, it might be worth a go.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes and to me it sounds the same (which I guess it should really). I use the dock because I think it looks better with the iPod mounted on it than with it lying somewhere on the AV Rack with a cable running to the AVR - I am a bit OCD about visible cables or at least that's what my wife reckons (and I probably agree with her). I did have photos of my previous system posted on the site but they have disappeared, I think, due to Flickr reorganising itself. I will get around to posting some of the new kit idc.

purgie

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hello, i want to buy the NR1604, but i want to use it only as a stereo amplifier on my old (but still liked) big JBL LX-1000 speakers. I come from an old Onkyo TX-SV525R. Is this a good choice ? Or is this amplifier to weak for these kind of speakers ?

Thank you very much for your help..

Frank

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
All I can say is I would not hestitate to recommend the NR1604 as an AV Receiver but really don't know how it would perform with your current speakers. As you can see from the sig, I use mine with 4 x Mordaunt Short 902s (the old, larger, style) and don't have any complaints.in either stereo or surround use.

That said, others on the site are more qualified to comment than I, but I would suggest that if you only want the NR1604 for stereo, you might be better off going for a dedicated stereo amp as £ for £, it will probably be a better performer.

However, as a very happy NR1604 user, I would also say that I think it's a steal at the sort of price being asked now - just over £300.

Hope this helps.

Riksta73

May 27, 2014
Visit site
I have a 1504 which is connected to Pioneer A50, my set up is stereo, but just to let you guys know, the free Ethernet to wifi adapter you can get from sky if you are a customer works with this amp. I told them mine was faulty they sent me another free one.

ayjaycee

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Riksta 73 said "I have a 1504 which is connected to Pioneer A50, my set up is stereo". Perhaps I am missing something significant here (which wouldn't be the first time), but the question I have to ask is - why?

Riksta73

May 27, 2014
Visit site
ayjaycee said:
Riksta 73 said "I have a 1504 which is connected to Pioneer A50, my set up is stereo". Perhaps I am missing something significant here (which wouldn't be the first time), but the question I have to ask is - why?

the A50 is a very good match for my speakers roskan kandy K2, the sound is more detailed. I am using the 1504 as a reciver. Sound quality on 1504 even for music in stereo is very good for a budget AV amp but not as good as a mid range stereo amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts