MARANTZ NA7004 / NA-7004 - BEST SET UP OPTION?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Right - I'm looking at purchasing the Marantz NA7004 and adding it to my hifi instead of getting a new CD player. I’m unsure of how to set this up with storage devices.

My main question is what options do I have for storage devices that I can connect to the Marantz NA7004 other than a PC or Mac? This may sound unusual, but I don't want my PC connected to it for two reasons:

(a) They're in two different locations
(b) I don't want to have to leave my PC on just to listen to music (btw, I’m not interested in buying another PC just for this either).

Therefore, I was thinking of buying a small NAS or portable hard drive that could sit next to/with the HiFi.

Questions!

Q1. Can I just plug a NAS or portable hard drive straight into the Marantz NA7004? (i.e. without involving a PC or router)

Q2. Is there anything else that is small and that I can have sat next to my HiFi/with my HiFi that can store my music and that can just plug straight in the Marantz NA7004?

Q3. Quality wise, what would be the best output for quality from any storage device to plug into the Marantz NA7004? Coaxial, Optical, USB or Ethernet?

Q4. If you plug an iPod or USB device into the Marantz NA7004, does it make the iPod/USB device’s DAC redundant and is the Marantz’s utilised? (which is obviously far superior)?

Q5. I’m presuming the USB on the Marantz NA7004 is not Asynchronous USB as I can find no mention of this in reviews or the online manual. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I appreciate all replies in advance and please, if you only have an answer for one of the questions, I’d like to hear it!

Thanks

Miggyboys

manicm

Q1: No, cannot connect the NAS directly to the Marantz. The NAS must be connected to your router/switch. You may then use powerlines to get cordless ethernet, or get a wireless bridge and connect to your Marantz.

Q2: Yes, a USB drive - it may have to be self-powered though i.e. check your Marantz manual.

Q3: The only storage device you'll connect directly to the Marantz is via USB, or an iPod (see Q4).

Q4: I do believe the Marantz's DAC will be used, bypassing the iPod's built-in one when connected, so an iPod will be your quickest, simplest solution to get mass storage playback from your Marantz, but you do realise the NA7004 is a streamer first and foremost right? And a 600 quid audiophile one at that as well, so get your hands dirty, or pay someone else to get your home wired! YOU DID NOT PAY 600 TO PLAY IPOD :) But if you did, completely ignore everyone else and fill your iPod with WAV or AIFF rips.

Q5: It does not matter on your NA7004, because as far as I know you cannot connect a PC directly to it, and the iPod is not that sophisticated :)

Enjoy, I'm envious, until I hook my CA 751BD or Marantz UD7006 ;)

Re 3, I think the preferred, and sometimes only, option is the ethernet cable. Most streamer manufacturers emphasise direct connection is best.

Obviously if you have a CD player/transport, you might want to try both optical and coax cables.

Best to read the whole story in the manual, which is here:-

http://www.marantz.eu/attachments/products/284/dfuna7004n.pdf

A

Anonymous

nopiano, thanks for that.

Okay, all this information has led me a query. Would there be any difference in sound quality or performance issues between using a NAS via ethernet or using a portable hard drive via USB?

I mean looking at the cost, I could get a 1TB portable USB drive for £60 and have my Flac / 96kHz/24bit files on there as opposed to paying for a NAS.

The only issue I know of is that the ethernet connection can handle 192kHz/24bit but then, I haven't got any music files of that size and I'm not sure they're even available.

Thanks!

You are getting a bit beyond my knowledge now, but Studio Master downloads from the likes of Linn and Gimell definitely go to 24 bit.

I think HD tracks is a US-based outfit that has many too, so perhaps check if you might be interested in those offerings.

I hope that helps.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
miggyboys said:
..there is no way I'm buying this for iPod music - the very opposite, I can't stand MP3 / low file quality music.

I'm after high file quality music that surpasses CD's.

miggyboys said:
The only issue I know of is that the ethernet connection can handle 192kHz/24bit but then, I haven't got any music files of that size and I'm not sure they're even available.

You only want high quality music files that surpass CD quality, but you haven't got any (and don't really know where to get them).

Can't help you there. I buy music based on whether I like it rather than it's bit density and sampling rate.

Part of the point of buying the NA7004 is for it's internet radio (best quality 320K AAC but typically more like 64K - 128K) and AirPlay for streaming from iTunes and iPhones/iPads, iPod Touch etc. Also DAB, DAB+ and FM. However none of these services (even FM) come anywhere near the 24 bit/192 khz resolution files you will be using exclusively.

I think you will be better off buying something without all the extraneous (lower quality) services/features that you are not going to need or use. If you spend the whole £600 (that the Marantz costs) on a good DAC instead, then you are going to get better quality from your 24/192 music files.

A

Anonymous

manicm, thanks for the reply. I pondered the UD7006 but found out that it does not play Flac files but still, it's a great product and amazing BD player.

Well I suppose my only option is to run an ethernet cable which I really didn't want to do but there you go.

Re Q4, don't worry, there is no way I'm buying this for iPod music - the very opposite, I can't stand MP3 / low file quality music.

I'm after high file quality music that surpasses CD's.

My key question is Q3 - how does an ethernet connection compare to an optical / coaxial connection or is it irrelvant as the information is all digital i.e. 1s and 0's?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Nopiano, thanks for the replies. HDTracks and Linn I was aware of. I'm not convinced that a NAS is any better an option than a portable hard drive via USB. After all, all a NAS is, is a plastic box full of hard drives. The only thing that differentiates this from the portable hard drive is the connection.

My other query is that the files stored on either device are digital - as is their transfer to the music streamer. This is the bit I'm interested in and how that transfer via ethernet or usb differs - I don't think it does.

Chebby

My comment was about 24/36bit 192kHz files and if they exist. I know of the sites that sell 24bit/96kHz files. I obviously buy music because I like it but I also want to buy quality music files (which have been CD up to now, I didn't go down the SACD route) and now I'm looking at the bigger files sizes for a better quality sound. I like Madonna but you wouldn't catch me buying a 128kbps file from HMV because it sounds awful compared to CD quality.

And I don't agree with you about why someone is buying the NA7004. It's primarily a good music streamer for high quality music files which is why I'm interested in it. I'm not that interested in the internet radio or Airplay/iPod/iPhone/iPad.

But then I have a Denon 2310 AV Receiver and I don't use 70% of the functionality on that either. My primary use on it is TV and Blu Ray and it does that job superbly. I don't use the tuner on it, I don't play CDs through it or a video recorder or a turntable. I'm pretty sure that most people out there don't use 100% of the functionality of their various devices.

I don't think you've read / understand what I'm trying to acheive:

(a) I want a device that I can rip all my CDs to
(b) Allows me to play any of the 200 albums I'll have on there (without having to get up and change a media)
(c) Can play back higher than CD quality files.
(d) Is on par or better sounding than a Marantz CD6004 CD player. (In effect, it will be a replacement for a CD6004 so it has to sound as good).

Thus your suggestion of a separate DAC is pointless. That wouldn't give me a, b or c.

My searches have brought me to the Marantz NA-7004. If you know of a better device that gives me a, b, c, d for under £600-£700, tell me.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone

I have some interesting technical info re ethernet or USB connection.

USB - is bidirectional but when the streamer requests the data, the PC just whacks down all the data along the connection and leaves it piled up at the music streamer to sort out which creates more jitter.

Ethernet - is also bidirectional but more active - the streamer actually sends a signal to the NAS or PC asking it to send files but just the ones it requires at that moment in time. They are then buffered and when the buffering is almost done, it then requests more files; this process helps keep jitter to a minimum.

Another advantage is that via ethernet, there is no resampling of the files done on a PC which can happen if you haven't got your settings correct. Ethernet ensures that the file is sent down 'as it is' and thus it doesn't attempt any resampling.

Think I'm definitely going down the NAS route now.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I use the Marantz NA7004 tuner/network audio player. :dance:A

A1 You can if you are clever with computer wiring and setting up. To use a hard drive it needs to be formatted FAT16 or FAT32. To connect it direct to a NAS without switch and router is possible, but will be interesting in setting this up and will need a crossover lead. NB not all NAS will do this correctly so should be avoided unless you really know about hardware and firmware.

A2 Any small hard drive or memory card plugged into an adaptor then into the Marantz. Use a camera card adaptor to USB. Silly I know but it is technically possible to plug a massive 1Tbyte hard disk or greater using a special formatter for FAT format either 16 or 32. The disk size is limited by the format max size limit. :O

A3 Your question scope is so full of varables as to cause GINGO (garbage in garbage out). Please remember the transmitting device (and it's settings) has its own set of limits as well the connecting method to the Marantz. :?

A4 I do not have an Ipod so cannot answer. :silenced:

A5 I do not have a clue. :silenced:D

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi Miggy,

I have an NA7004 and am very happy with it. But I am not so sure it is the right product for you, since you do not intend to stream from your computer or listen to internet radio, Napster, airplay etc.... and the million other things it can do. Of course you do not need to use all its features as you have already pointed out.

However, I think the sound quality is a little bright and brittle as the WHSV review has noted and I think you can get better sound for your money since you do not need the swiss army variety of functions the NA7004 offers.

The Olive 03HD might be worth considering given your requirements. It is close to your budget and does everything you require. I have never heard one though. It also appears to have a much nicer user interface than the NA7004 as well.

A

Anonymous

Hello ,

I am also interested to buy a NA7004 especially now when I found it a a very good price . My question is if I can plug it directly to my laptop in order to listen Flac music , how can I do it ? Via USB I'll have a quality sound ? Is it difficult to make the set up ?

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I got my NA7004 on Tuesday, and set it up yesterday. It has identified my pc and laptop under the Music Server input option, but both are flagged "Not Authorized". Does anyone know how I can authorize them?

jdp1962

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
jdp1962 said:
I got my NA7004 on Tuesday, and set it up yesterday. It has identified my pc and laptop under the Music Server input option, but both are flagged "Not Authorized". Does anyone know how I can authorize them?

All sorted now. I fixed it in the Network settings of my pc's control panel

A

Anonymous

Hi ,

do you mind asking you , where you bought from :quest: Can I use it with Flac files from my laptop ?:rockout:

Thanks

A

Anonymous

G4IJL and Aslan, thanks for your comments and input! (Just seen your posts, haven't logged on for ages...)

A

Anonymous

If I use a quality USB to stream from my laptop from Spotify to NA 7004 + AV amp it's ok ? What player shoul I use ? Or should I use another connection? What about jitter?

A

Anonymous

Someone can confirm if the NA7004 can stream flac files @192KHz via ethernet?

The manual reports only flac @ 96KHz, but maybe it works also @ 192KHz?

A

Anonymous

RE: MARANTZ NA7004 / NA-7004 - BEST SET UP OPTION?
Someone can confirm if the NA7004 can stream flac files @192KHz via ethernet?

The manual reports only flac @ 96KHz, but maybe it works also @ 192KHz?

BUMP: Has anyone confirmed this? can you play flac over ethernet? upto what resolution? 192 khz or 96 khz

A

Anonymous

OK I have found the answer to part of this question. From what I can tell 192 khz audio is only available via digital input S/PDIF. USB is maximum 96 khz.

The question still remains what is the maximum via ethernet?

A

Anonymous

Im really thinking in buying a marantz NA7004 to use as a music streamer from a NAS (via ethernet). My main concern is about usuability. Someone can answer me if theres a easy way to find the music u want to hear inside a big library of flacs? I think that you cannot do this very easy with the remote control. What about apps for iOS/Android? There are goods apps that can see all your FLAC files stored on my NAS and make the NA7004 play it?

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I tend to only use the remote control on the NA7004 and rarely use the Marantz iPad app. I use Asset as my server and it arranges all the music stored as flac on my PC alphabetically so that you can search by album, artist, genre and composer etc. It is fast and easy to use but not so good for browsing for something to listen to. I previously used Eyeconnect as the server on my Mac but everthing was a mess and not arranged alphabetically (maybe I wasn't using it right).

The previous versions of the Marantz iPad app were completely unusable. It has had a recent update and it is now pretty good and I would even consider it usable. The UI is not very pretty but you can select your music by selecting album covers.

I have downloaded one or two 3rd party remote apps but none have worked as well as the new Marantz iPad app.

I personally prefer selecting music using the remote control because of its speed. It also controls my Marantz amp which is a bonus.

My wife doens't have a clue how to control the NA7004 using the remote control. She only uses Airplay on the iPad which has a much prettier and very easy to use UI.

Aslan

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I tend to only use the remote control on the NA7004 and rarely use the Marantz iPad app. I use Asset as my server and it arranges all the music stored as flac on my PC alphabetically so that you can search by album, artist, genre and composer etc. It is fast and easy to use but not so good for browsing for something to listen to. I previously used Eyeconnect as the server on my Mac but everthing was a mess and not arranged alphabetically (maybe I wasn't using it right).

The previous versions of the Marantz iPad app were completely unusable. It has had a recent update and it is now pretty good and I would even consider it usable. The UI is not very pretty but you can select your music by selecting album covers.

I have downloaded one or two 3rd party remote apps but none have worked as well as the new Marantz iPad app.

I personally prefer selecting music using the remote control because of its speed. It also controls my Marantz amp which is a bonus.

My wife doens't have a clue how to control the NA7004 using the remote control. She only uses Airplay on the iPad which has a much prettier and very easy to use UI.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts