Marantz MCR610 is being discontinued, what replacement ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if you know but it looks like the Marantz MCR610 is currently being discontinued, just wondered if any body knew if they were going to bring out a more expensive all in one perhaps ?

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I might be wrong, but this is the link and I also rang them up and they said it was being discontinued (Unless they just mean this package), again I may be wrong as it does seem strange that they would discontinue it as it is under 2 years old, and got 5 stars from "WHAT Hi-Fi" !

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-13171-discontinued-marantz-mcr610-melody-media-player-mini-system-with-tannoy-mercury-v1-bookshelf-speakers.aspx

I have just sent them an email to see if the Marantz MCR610 unit without speakers is shortly to be discontinued, so that we can be sure of the situation

Fozzie55

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I was thinking of getting one if these. Can anyone recommend something similar please, save waiting for its replacement. I have Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's currently using an old Sony Amp TA-F220.

matthewpiano

That Superfi system will have been discontinued because the Tannoy V1 were replaced by the V1i model some time ago. The individual MCR610 listing, and the other system combinations offered don't show as discontinued so nothing concrete on the Marantz there.

Having said that it probably is about the time, though I wonder what they'll do. Something with more of the build quality of the MCR603 would be a good idea but whatever they do I think it should turn out to be a fine compact system.

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I think the next replacment of the marantz 610, should run android. With a nice colour display, plus HDMI output. So by doing this, you be able to choose any music streaming service. To keep the pirce about the same, they would have to drop the cd funtion.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
The M-CR610 can be had new for under £300 these days which for what they offer is excellent value.

Having recently dabbled with the idea of going back to a One-Box system ( I used to have a M-CR603 years ago ) I tried out the smart looking Sony MAP S1 one box system. Took it back after 3 days as I knew it wasn't for me, and at £699 a pop was £400 more expensive than the M-CR610. The only thing it had over the Marantz was Bluetooth, but to be honest that wasn't great and playing Spotify from my Nexus 7 or phone via Bluetooth was a bit hit and miss.

I couldn't wait to hook up my Squeezebox Touch again for the easy, speedy, and simple interrnet radio use.

All thoughts of a one box system have now been consigned to the bin.

matthewpiano

I don't know why they continue to make 2 systems really - the '510 without CD and the '610 with. I think they should develop a replacement for the '510 and also a seperate matching CD transport (no DAC) for those who wish to add disc playback. Perhaps they should also come up with a version of the '510 replacement which is effectively source + pre-amp stage but no power amp. That would make a great front-end for an active system IMO.

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes the Marantz MCR610 is being discontinued here is my email reply from Superfi :-

Dear Gary,
Many thanks for your email. I can confirm that the MCR610 is due to be replaced shortly but that is the reason why it is at the price that it is. The replacement is due in the summer but will be at its entry price point which is estimated to be in the region of £500 but unfortunately we do not have its spec or availability available at this time,
I hope this is of help,
Kind regards,
Rich @ Superfi

www.superfi.co.uk

Eddy's (Nottingham) Ltd (Incorporated 1944)
Registered in England & Wales, no: 392101

Snooker

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
As the same company owns Marantz and Denon and after reading the reply from Superfi, think it would be good to keep the two Denon all in one systems, but then bring out the two Marantz all in one systems with a good noticeably better sound than at present at say double the price at round the £800-£1000 mark, surely they would sell more units in total overall and cater for different customer needs, just an idea *smile*

paulselwood

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The HDMI option I suggested, would be for browseing your Songs on TV. Like you do on a ipad or phone. That is the way to go, then user would get a better and bigger display.

Also some people do not like using touch screen.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site

matthewpiano

I'd be glad to see the obsession with gloss black surfaces come to an end, both on the Marantz all-in-ones and on Rega's front panels. It unfailingly looks rubbish and it always annoys me when people refer to it as 'piano black'. The black polyester finish on any decent piano takes so much more care and is of a completely different order to what gets stuck on hi-fi, TVs and car dashboards.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I'd be glad to see the obsession with gloss black surfaces come to an end, both on the Marantz all-in-ones and on Rega's front panels. It unfailingly looks rubbish and it always annoys me when people refer to it as 'piano black'. The black polyester finish on any decent piano takes so much more care and is of a completely different order to what gets stuck on hi-fi, TVs and car dashboards.

I rather like the 'piano' black look of my MCR510.....it goes rather nicely with my 'polar bear' white gloss furniture...I wonder what extras will be added to the new model - more power would be a nice start

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts