Marantz M-CR603 with Aviano 1XR - Missing a little bit of Bass?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I am hoping someone can advise me of a good combination to try...

I have purchased a Marantz M-CR603 and am looking for it's perfect partner in the speaker world! I was advised towards the Aviano 1XR, which I listened to and agreed for detail are an exceptional speaker, but when listening to a bass-heavy track felt it lacked a little punchy-ness I was expecting.

We also listened to some Wharfdale 10.1's which were very nice and had lovely bass, but compared to the Aviano's the mids sounded a little muddy and just not as accurate.

This leaves me with a few questions....

1. Would Bi-Amping (which the Marantz can do) improve the bass much?

2. Would the sound mature as the speakers got 'burned in' as the man in the shop claimed?

3.What alternatives are there that can at least come close to the accuracy of the Aviano's, but with more punch in the bass?

Any one have a good setup with this system that can advise from experience? Any one have these speakers and care to comment on the bass situation?

Many Thanks,

Joe Blackler.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I'd wait until you had at least 30 hrs on the speakers before making a decision.

I doubt that biwiring would make much of a difference (you need another amp/power amp for bi amping).

The speakers look kind of small Maybe you want something with a bigger cabinet and or bass driver that can move more air and give you more bass and slam. The size of those speakers and the bass driver they use will inherently limit the amount of bass you can get.

A

Anonymous

The Marantz unit has two sets of speaker ourputs and can Bi-Amp by itself I am told by the manual! I only just understand what this means really hence I am on here asking the question but it is a feature it can do apparently!

The only place I can hear these speakers currently is in the shop so I cannot listen for much more, but after the rave reviews I have heard I am wondering if the ones I heard were simply 'cold' or not burnt in, or even a little faulty perhaps?

I understand your comment about going to a floor-stander for more bass, but I am not going for mega booming bass, the wharfdale's they demo'd for us had fantastic bass that was more than enough for us, just wish the Aviano's had a little more in this way.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Although I've not heard the M-CR603 and I have no idea of your budget, my suggestion would be to see if you can find a demo of the Focal 706V's somewhere as they seem to tick all of your boxes.

They major on clarity and detail (acoustics, highs, and vocals are totally sublime) with a really excellent, tight punchy bass (don't want it really heavy myself). They are pretty large for standmounts but don't let that put you off; okay, they're rather dominant in my bedroom but they're in no way compromised (just need a stand with a larger top plate such as the Atacama SL series). Great combo with my own Marantz set-up so that was the reason for my thought.

EDIT - Can be had for £340-£390 if that's not to over budget.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Joeb1980:
Hello,

I am hoping someone can advise me of a good combination to try...

I have purchased a Marantz M-CR603 and am looking for it's perfect partner in the speaker world! I was advised towards the Aviano 1XR, which I listened to and agreed for detail are an exceptional speaker, but when listening to a bass-heavy track felt it lacked a little punchy-ness I was expecting.

We also listened to some Wharfdale 10.1's which were very nice and had lovely bass, but compared to the Aviano's the mids sounded a little muddy and just not as accurate.

This leaves me with a few questions....

1. Would Bi-Amping (which the Marantz can do) improve the bass much?

2. Would the sound mature as the speakers got 'burned in' as the man in the shop claimed?

3.What alternatives are there that can at least come close to the accuracy of the Aviano's, but with more punch in the bass?

Any one have a good setup with this system that can advise from experience? Any one have these speakers and care to comment on the bass situation?

Many Thanks,

Joe Blackler.

OK. I'm not advertising but WHF did a group test not so long ago and the Wharfedales and the Avianos lost out to our own DM1's and the Monitor Audio BX2's. Both the DM1 and the BX2 will provide you with the extra 'punch' that you are looking for. Your choice.

A

Anonymous

Hi

I would go for a pair of monitor audio BX2's with that system they sound fantastic with it! clarity is good because of the metal dome tweeters and the bass is fantastic for such small speakers there sound is bigger than the box!

Just dont BI-Wire the BX2 as the bass dont keep time they will sound out of phase just link up the back plate with a short run of cable of the same lengh instead of the link plates.

I use the Soundsyle Z2 stand and QED original cable sounds great!

They take about 2-3 days run in out the box there abit harsh but mellow out and the bass gets better I agree with what hifi I am well impressed...

And if thats not enough bass the cr603 has a sub pre out so you could add the BXW10 sub later.

A

Anonymous

Thanks mate, great to hear from someone with that setup!

I have a shop calling me when they have some BX2's in stock so will definately give them a try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts