Marantz M - CR 610 speaker choice?

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi all'

At present i am considering buying the Marantz M-CR610 all in one system for Christmas.

I also need to give some serious thought to speakers.

Would i be better keep on using my 20 year old Mission 760is, which still work perfectly, or would i get a better or worthwhile difference in sound quality by buying a new set of speakers, such as the Q Acoustics 2020i, or 2010i, or similar? I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks...Callum.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I used to have similar speakers to yours. When I purchased my MCR 603 I used Monitor Audio RX1s and found a considerable difference to the sound. Modern speakers give a lot more bass and are more forward, but you may not like the sound as it will show up any poor recordings you have.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It's a good system so speaker choice will be wide

Be handy to know your budget and whether it's just standmount speakers you're after or floor standers also?!

I had the CR603 and loved every minute of it.

The 610 is very good also and I've heard speakers from the Dali Zensor 1's through to Q Acoustic 2020i' & 2050i's to KEF R100's and LS50's to Neat a Motive 2SE'S and PMC 22's with it and it handled them all very well indeed (KEF R100's, Neats and the Q Acoustics would have been my choice for the different levels of budget)!

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My budget for speakers will be probably £200 max. I have a small room with limited space, so will be using them on the walls on small shelves.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Dali Lektor 1's or 2's 2nd hand via eBay would work very well indeed

The Zensor 1's are great; rear ported though but you can use bungs to tone the bass boom down! Same with Q Acoustics; rear ported but can be bunged :)

Something like this: Lektor 1's - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dali-Lektor-1-hi-fi-standmount-speakers-/231101457360?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35ceb863d0

These would work very well also: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BR2-Main-Stereo-Speakers-excellent-condition-/321264706456?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item4accde6398

T

the record spot

If you like the Mission sound, then you might find a pair of Q Acoustics speakers are your thing, some ex-Mission people were involved in setting Q Acoustics up I hear. If you have a small room though, and you could find the budget for them, Richer Sounds are doing Tannoy DC4s for £299 and they'd be my pick, especially if you like the Mission sound.

I used to have some 751s years ago and the DC4 has many of the same sort of characteristics, but work wonderfully well in small rooms. Deeply musical, lovely balanced sound that's neither too bright, or too bassy, but with everything nicely placed. Thanks to the dual concentric arrangement, it throws out a wide soundstage.

Depends what you're after though and the Q speakers are definitely worth looking out. I'd also throw in the Castle Knight 1 too, for similar reasons to the Tannoys.

brandmartyr

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought the Marantz 510 from Richer Sounds who were doing a VIP deal with free Cambridge Audio S30 speakers.

Have to say, cracking little speakers for the money if you can find a pair.

cheers

m

Callum J

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks folks for all the helpful suggestions...gives me something to think about. May try the Missions first and see how it goes.

mistermusic

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
i posted a similar topic and i had no answers

i have focal 706 but i don't like the sounds with bad basses

i want a better sound: more live, more bass, more beauty of the sound

klipsh?

bx2 monitor audio?

or active speakers?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Callum J said:
Thanks folks for all the helpful suggestions...gives me something to think about. May try the Missions first and see how it goes.

Thats what I would do, I have the 780SEs, think you need to spend more £200 for an upgrade, maybe some Dali Zensor 3s (£300) if you want more bass.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mistermusic said:
i posted a similar topic and i had no answers

klipsh?

bx2 monitor audio?

or active speakers?

No pre-amp out so regular active speakers will not work without a lot of faffing about.

Theae on the other hand will run of the line outs. No uk dealers at this time so your have to take a bit of a punt. Around £500 shipped from Germany.

Nubert_NuPro_Aufmacher_v2.jpg

http://www.nubert.de/nupro-serie-neu/420/

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
mistermusic said:

I also had a pair of Focal 706V's and made a decision to sell them over my Rega RS1's and really wish I hadn't.

True, they don't have exactly tub thumping bass but it was more than adequate for my preferences but what I really miss about them is their sense of scale. In addition I found them beautifully detailed but they could also be pretty ruthless wth poor recordings. The decision to sell them instead of the Rega's really came to their rather overbearing size for my room but we all make mistakes.

BigH said:
Thats what I would do, I have the 780SEs, think you need to spend more £200 for an upgrade, maybe some Dali Zensor 3s (£300) if you want more bass.

I had a lovely pair of mint 780SE's thrown in with a Pioneer A400 for £35 around 3 years ago and another pair I wish I'd never sold!

At the time I found the bass a bit too forward but sure missed it afterwards *sigh*

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
No uk dealers at this time

Nubert doesn't have dealers anywhere in the world.

They own two stores in Germany (both in Baden-Württemberg) and sell everything direct (through their website and aforementioned stores).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
davedotco said:
No uk dealers at this time

Nubert doesn't have dealers anywhere in the world.

They own two stores in Germany (both in Baden-Württemberg) and sell everything direct (through their website and aforementioned stores).

Thank you for the clarification.

Should make for good value for money.

mistermusic

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
focal 706 are speakers of the year 2013 'diapason d'or " but the basses seems not precises although music, bass drumsn ,guitar and voices are good

i must add "bass boost" and be far enough from the speakers to have big bass

nobody tried bx2? klipsh? b and w? monitor audio?

i have a desk and i can pu tall speakers

i prefer music with my harman soundsticks III because i have a live sound and not a calm sound

i don't know if the marantz can give a good sound like 2 elements (amplifier/cd)

or if speakers must be changed

for a bass player, it's really difficult to hear good bass with cd

focal: 55hz for low and others speakers have 35-40 too..... :(

pinballwizard

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, my first post here!

I've been considering Marantz M-CR610 for my small bedroom (which is about 13 x 10 feet in size). But I wonder if there's any talk of its possible upgrade in the nearest future - with more advanced features and parameters. Suppose I buy this one and next thing I know, an upgrade comes out - that would be a major bummer.

This is always a problem with hifi, do I buy now or wait? Well there is always an ungrade around the corner, in most cases.

I have not heard of anything specific about the CR 610 but you can bet that after approximately a year there will be a new version. You have to decide if you want to wait (and spend more money) or, if it currently has everything you require, go and buy it now.

Just go and buy it now...
regular_smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts