Marantz + Kef q300

Choucas

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
hi,

I have a Marantz pm 6003 and CD 6003 set up .

Would the KEFs fit in with this system? I have approximately £500 to spend on new speakers.

Thanks,

Graham

Choucas said:
hi,

I have a Marantz pm 6003 and CD 6003 set up .

Would the KEFs fit in with this system? I have approximately £500 to spend on new speakers.

Thanks,

Graham

Hi Graham

What do generally listen to?

Will anyone else use the system? If so, what do they listen to?

Your existing speakers?

Did you listen to the Marantz components before you bought them? If so, what speakers were used?

Room size?

Room positioning of the speakers?

Listening distance?

Is the room heavily or lightly furnished?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Have you also considered any other speakers?

If the speakers are to be bookshelf designs then will these be stand, shelf or wall mounted?

General listening level?

What attracted you to these Marantz components?

Cabling?

Is there a particular kind of presentation would you like the system to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Choucas

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Rick,

Living in Guernsey, I'm pretty limited to what systems I can try out! I went for the Marantz because a) they were very well recommended by What HiFi and b) we have a local dealer.

The system resides in a lounge which has usual soft furnishings in a room roughly 7m x 4m. Current speakerswhich are housed on wall brackets, are Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones. I have Black Rhodium speaker cables which have to run through the ceiling, so can be up to 10 m lengths.

I listen to mainly rock and blues, although the system is used by my other half to listen to her music which is mainly female vocalists such as Katie Melua, Norah Jones etc

I have heard the KEFs with a Marantz system demo'ed at my local store and they seemed fine , but I can't have a home demo! I am looking for speakers which will be an upgrade on what I have and be compatible with my system. Because of space constraints, I am looking to use the wall brackets again, which are spaced about 5m apart. Other speakers I would probably have to order from the UK without hearing them, so advice is keenly sought!

Many thanks, Graham

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Graham KEF used the 6003 pairing at the dealer launch of the Q Series to demonstrate the Q00's and Q300's. They've also used this combination at many hi-fi shows since, and we've done many demos in store of the same and similar combinations too. With the Marantz warmed up properly, the system works extremely well together, possessing a synergy very few budget components are able to compete with.

Beware of rear ported speakers if you're going to use them on wall brackets.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Hi Graham KEF used the 6003 pairing at the dealer launch of the Q Series to demonstrate the Q00's and Q300's. They've also used this combination at many hi-fi shows since, and we've done many demos in store of the same and similar combinations too. With the Marantz warmed up properly, the system works extremely well together, possessing a synergy very few budget components are able to compete with.

Beware of rear ported speakers if you're going to use them on wall brackets.

David

In your opinion if I was looking at smallish floor standing speakers for my Marantz PM8003, would you expect the same synergy with the Kef Q500 or iQ50 speakers? In fact if not Kef, what other similarly priced floor standers might be a good option?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It was either the Marantz 7003 or 8003 that KEF used for their Q500 and Q700's, so yes, I would say that it seems the whole range works well together. You could also look at the XQ30 too, which have certain benefits over the Q Series. Some come up at good prices every now and again.

KEF's main competition is the MA RX6, but I wouldn't say these have the same synergy with the Marantz equipment, but will take more punishment, so if you're into D&B, or something else demanding, it might be worth checking them out. You could also try the Tannoy Revolution DC6T's too - I can't see why they wouldn't work well with the Marantz.

Choucas said:
Hi, Rick,

Living in Guernsey, I'm pretty limited to what systems I can try out! I went for the Marantz because a) they were very well recommended by What HiFi and b) we have a local dealer.

The system resides in a lounge which has usual soft furnishings in a room roughly 7m x 4m. Current speakerswhich are housed on wall brackets, are Acoustic Energy Aegis Ones. I have Black Rhodium speaker cables which have to run through the ceiling, so can be up to 10 m lengths.

I listen to mainly rock and blues, although the system is used by my other half to listen to her music which is mainly female vocalists such as Katie Melua, Norah Jones etc

I have heard the KEFs with a Marantz system demo'ed at my local store and they seemed fine , but I can't have a home demo! I am looking for speakers which will be an upgrade on what I have and be compatible with my system. Because of space constraints, I am looking to use the wall brackets again, which are spaced about 5m apart. Other speakers I would probably have to order from the UK without hearing them, so advice is keenly sought!

Many thanks, Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply.

I hope you will not mind but just a couple of more questions.

How did the sound of the KEF's/Marantz compare to your system at home?

Have you any issues with your existing AE speakers being wall mounted?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Choucas

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Rick,

I thought the KEFs sounded fine, with good bass and detailed mid and top ranges. The amp was a Marantz 8003, so I wasn't quite comparing like with like. ( The dealer then connected up a set of Spendors, which were something else!)

I currently have no issues with the AEs, but was looking for a significant upgrade to the system and was wondering whether the KEFs would give me that?

Graham

Choucas said:
Hi, Rick,

I thought the KEFs sounded fine, with good bass and detailed mid and top ranges. The amp was a Marantz 8003, so I wasn't quite comparing like with like. ( The dealer then connected up a set of Spendors, which were something else!)

I currently have no issues with the AEs, but was looking for a significant upgrade to the system and was wondering whether the KEFs would give me that?

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for your reply.

The PM8003 is quite a bit better then the PM6003. Anyway at least you've now got a fair idea of how a Marantz amp will sound like with the KEF Q300's.

The Q300's are better speakers your already impressive Acoustic Energy speakers and in combination with the PM6003 should give you quite an improvement over your existing combination.

Another set of speakers also worth a look are Dynaudio's DM 2/6's as these also pair well with the PM6003/CD6003 combination.

Btw, which Spendor speakers did your dealer use?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Choucas

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Rick,

Thanks for your comments - they have helped me considerably!
smiley-smile.gif

Graham

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
It was either the Marantz 7003 or 8003 that KEF used for their Q500 and Q700's, so yes, I would say that it seems the whole range works well together. You could also look at the XQ30 too, which have certain benefits over the Q Series. Some come up at good prices every now and again. KEF's main competition is the MA RX6, but I wouldn't say these have the same synergy with the Marantz equipment, but will take more punishment, so if you're into D&B, or something else demanding, it might be worth checking them out. You could also try the Tannoy Revolution DC6T's too - I can't see why they wouldn't work well with the Marantz.

Thanks for that David.

I was actually thinking about those Tannoys. The Espresso finish looks particularly nice. These speakers don't seem to get mentioned much on this forum yet they have plenty of good reviews.

One question though. What is the difference sonically if any, between the Revolution and Revolution Signature, both DC4t and DC6T? Seem to be the same price.

Also, any experience of the Mordaunt Short Mezzo range? The reason I ask is that I recently bought an old pair (10 yrs +) of small MS25i floorstanders for less than £50 as a temporary measure (house party duties, then sell on when all done) and the quality of the performance is fabulous pound for pound, so I've got a good feeling for the newer MS range.

Choucas

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Rick,

I think the Spendors were the SA1s. Very good - but expensive!

I only know of one dealer who stocks KEFs and Spendors, although others can obtain most makes from the UK. This does make auditioning them virtually impossible before you buy!

I am leaning towards the KEFs because I liked them at audition, but do wonder if I would really see a significant improvement over the Aegis Ones?

Cheers,

Graham

Choucas said:
Hi, Rick,

I think the Spendors were the SA1s. Very good - but expensive!

I only know of one dealer who stocks KEFs and Spendors, although others can obtain most makes from the UK. This does make auditioning them virtually impossible before you buy!

I am leaning towards the KEFs because I liked them at audition, but do wonder if I would really see a significant improvement over the Aegis Ones?

Cheers,

Graham

Hi Graham

If you are not comfortable purchasing a new pair of speakers without being able to audition alternatives at home and as you're already happy with your existing speakers than i will simply advise you not to rock the boat. Revisit this if the opportunity arises for a home demo and in the mean time enjoy the performance of your existing system :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
What about yamaha as500 paired with q300? Seems from the reviews that the amp got better sound and more juice then marantz pm6003 and where I live even cheaper? even though the marantz looks better id would put the other things first if its true.

Zax89swe said:
What about yamaha as500 paired with q300? Seems from the reviews that the amp got better sound and more juice then marantz pm6003 and where I live even cheaper? even though the marantz looks better id would put the other things first if its true.

Hi Zax89swe

Have you already got a pair of Q300's? If yes, what attracted you to them? If not, what speakers are you using?

What amplifier and source component/s do you use?

What do you generally listen to?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences?

Room size?

Room positioning of the speakers (in relation to walls, anything in between or either side of the speakers such as windows, chimney breast, television etc)?

Listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Floorstanding speakers?

If the speakers are to be bookshelf designs then will these be stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Floor (concrete, carpeted, wooden etc.)?

Are tone controls such as on the A-S500 and PM6003 something which you would use?

Have you also looked at other amps and speakers?

What speaker cables will you use?

What kind of presentation would you like the systen to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Zax89swe said:

Having tried both combinations here, I wasn't overly struck on the AS500/Q300 pairing, and felt the PM6003/Q300 possesses a better synergy. You could always look at the PM7003 if you want a little more oomph.

Zax89swe

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi Rick!, and Frank harvey.

No I have no speakers or amplifier right now. As "cd player" I have a computer soundcard with Cirrius Logic CS4832 Dac with changed opamp.

Im listen much to aggresive movie soundtracks but also sometimes artists like Enya and acoustic music.

I will mainly listen to it alone and for now in a smaller room (wooden like) 2-3m behind a desk with a small monitor there the listening position will be. I will have the speakers on the desk at start until I got stativs.

I would like to get big detailed and some dynamic sound, some thrilling, neutral and that handles vocals well, I want the bass to be punchy with some weight. Got two systempicks in mind, the first is more in line with my budget and second one is more expensive, will the first system be good choice as well?

Monitor Audio BX2 - Yamaha a-s500

Kef q300 - Marantz pm6003

Thanks for helping me, Jesper.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jesper

I think from those two combinations, my choice would be the PM6003/Q300. I'll qualify that choice, as I know many will be saying that it was a predictable one because of my fondness of the KEF sound.

The BX2's would have a slight advantage in a larger room, but as you have a small one, that advantage is irrelevant. Both are fairly neutral and dynamic for their price point. The BX2's will have a slight advantage for bass quantity, but the Q300's will be more detailed and a little tighter.

Those points aside, KEF's UniQ driver will be more accurate at imaging due to being coincident, which will also help if listening at close range.

While there might be a power difference on paper between the two amplifiers, it's not a huge gaping chasm of a difference. The Yamaha has an advantage in it's 'variable loudness control', if that's a feature that's needed, and visually, I prefer it. But, the Yamaha just doesn't have the synergy with the KEF's that the Marantz has.

To be fair to the BX2's, the RX1's would be a far more fair comparison, which I think you'll find a much harder choice when comparing them to the Q300's. With e RX1's, I'd be recommending the Rotel RA04se amplifier to make the most of them.

I think you'll be happy with either of these systems though, and I hope you get to try them out. Don't be afraid of mixing components up to see if a different combination suits you.

Zax89swe said:
Hi Rick!, and Frank harvey.

No I have no speakers or amplifier right now. As "cd player" I have a computer soundcard with Cirrius Logic CS4832 Dac with changed opamp.

Im listen much to aggresive movie soundtracks but also sometimes artists like Enya and acoustic music.

I will mainly listen to it alone and for now in a smaller room (wooden like) 2-3m behind a desk with a small monitor there the listening position will be. I will have the speakers on the desk at start until I got stativs.

I would like to get big detailed and some dynamic sound, some thrilling, neutral and that handles vocals well, I want the bass to be punchy with some weight. Got two systempicks in mind, the first is more in line with my budget and second one is more expensive, will the first system be good choice as well?

Monitor Audio BX2 - Yamaha a-s500

Kef q300 - Marantz pm6003

Thanks for helping me, Jesper.

Hi Jesper

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the A-S500 and BX2 is a combinaton which works well. In addition to the A-S500 the NAD C326BEE is also worth a look. The fuller balance of the C326BEE/BX2 combination is something which you might also find appealing.

If you are happy to consider speakers around £500 then i'll suggest that you should also look at Dynaudio's superb DM 2/6's. The DM 2/6's superbly judged balance enables their qualities to tonally match amplifers such as the PM6003, A-S500 and C326BEE. I feel the DM 2/6's are worth ever penny of their asking price and fully deserve the praise which they receive :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts