Marantz DAB Radio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently forked out £270 for a Marantz ST7001 DAB tuner. I was all very happy with it until I recently plugged my digital tv into my Marantz PM6002 amplifier and found I got immeasurably better radio off the telly compared with the highly rated (and highly expensive) DAB tuner. The difference is astonishing.

I'm beginning to think the whole idea of a seperate DAB tuner and CD player is a waste of time. It seems to me to make more sense to just invest in a decent DVD player for both films and CDs and a decent digital TV for both telly and radio. The amplifier remains immensely impressive. But if anyone's interested in a brand spanking new Marantz ST7001 and (award winning) CD6002, I'm going to put both of them up on ebay!

I would also be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences and opinions' on this kind of issue?!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Depends on what you listen to, but in general DAB bitrates and therefore sound quality are lower than those on Freeview radio, all other things being equal.

So no reflection on the Marantz tuner - blame it on the broadcasts.

A

Anonymous

Yes, DAB radio - the format - sounds incredibly bad. It's not the tuner's fault. I love some of the DAB-only radio stations but just can't stand the sound quality enough to listen to them. As for the cd player, it will sound better than most combi players unless you're spending a sizeable whack. I'd sooner have a separate DVD player and keep the CD6002...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes its more a question of stations available than anything else. DAB can sound decent but its certainly no improvement over (quality) fm or any digital tv broadcasts. It can sit happily besides the two though.

A

Anonymous

No I've been trying to post it in the DAB radio forum to see what DAB enthusiasts have to say about this issue. Apologies if I've been mistakenly posting it back into the Hi-Fi forum.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="garageland"]No I've been trying to post it in the DAB radio forum to see what DAB enthusiasts have to say about this issue. Apologies if I've been mistakenly posting it back into the Hi-Fi forum.[/quote]

Now moved to digital radio forum section

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="garageland"]
I recently forked out £270 for a Marantz ST7001 DAB tuner. I was all very happy with it until I recently plugged my digital tv into my Marantz PM6002 amplifier and found I got immeasurably better radio off the telly compared with the highly rated (and highly expensive) DAB tuner. The difference is astonishing.

I'm beginning to think the whole idea of a seperate DAB tuner and CD player is a waste of time. It seems to me to make more sense to just invest in a decent DVD player for both films and CDs and a decent digital TV for both telly and radio. The amplifier remains immensely impressive. But if anyone's interested in a brand spanking new Marantz ST7001 and (award winning) CD6002, I'm going to put both of them up on ebay!

I would also be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences and opinions' on this kind of issue?!
[/quote]

I have had this tuner for about 1yr now and its a fantastic piece of kit, excellent on fm and as good as it can be on dab given the poor quailty signals. Nothing wrong with the tuner at all.

TRENDING THREADS