marantz cr603 still amazing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
No, it's not good for that, but you'd probably scout different titles out via your mobile or your computer (which is what I do) and then use that amp later. Best bet is to audition if you can and apps are available with Spotify integration too.

Shame, I am quite spoilt at the moment in terms of a user interface, Spotify app on Macbook/iPad streaming to an AEX.

Ideally I would like this degree of funtionality with a 'better' fully wired system, streaming music data over wifi worries me somewhat so I am thinking that a Sonos Connect (wired) is the obvious choice. Before I commit I was wondering if there is a 'hifi' alternative that compares in terms of the interface.

jdluke

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I found this video of the M-CR610 and M-CR510 displayed at the High-End trade fair in Munich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Kqtg0YX7A

pcookie

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
Looks like the offspring of the CR-603 and the Denon Ceol. Think I'll be getting the 603 and save myself a load of dosh.

cookie

jdluke

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
According to the website of this dealer in Germany, the new major features of the M-CR610 seem to be

- wireless lan (WiFi)

- second USB port on the back

- gapless playback

Fuzzy Bear

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I would prefer that when it defualts to the itunes volume setting rather than it's own it was less than half rather than more than half. Quite a loud instant change in volume is very unpleasent. Is it bad for speakers too?

Of course I should try to remeber everytime but I'm not always the only user.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Fuzzy Bear said:
I would prefer that when it defualts to the itunes volume setting rather than it's own it was less than half rather than more than half. Quite a loud instant change in volume is very unpleasent. Is it bad for speakers too?

Of course I should try to remeber everytime but I'm not always the only user.

AirPlay always comes on at the last volume used on the device selected.

Assuming you don't play it louder than you want, then it will never come on louder than you want.

It only only took me one moment - on the day I first got AirPlay set up - to realise that AirPlay volume can be controlled from both Marantz remote and AirPlay device. (Change volume on Marantz and volume slider on AirPlay device automatically corresponds and vice versa.)

AirPlay always remembers the last volume used on the particular app being used. So next time I use iPlayer Radio, AirPlay will remember the volume last used on that particular app and if I switch to TuneIn Radio Pro then AirPlay will switch to the last used used volume level on that instead.

I don't get any nasty suprises because I tend to play at moderate volume levels whatever I'm using.

I'm not sure any of this can be laid at Marantz's door anyway. Isn't it an AirPlay 'thing' rather than something Marantz have to fix?

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Although I think the MCR603 is pretty amazing, there are a couple of things that I hope Marantz "fix" with the new MCR610. Firstly, the slow startup time especially when using the Music Server and iPod functions. Secondly, I don't know if this is a problem with the app, but I experience frequent dropouts when using the Music Server function (even songs abruptly stopping when browsing folders). It's annoying as navigating without the app is a pain. Apart from that Spotify integration and gapless playback are being included, which were on my wishlist.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
malifact said:
Although I think the MCR603 is pretty amazing, there are a couple of things that I hope Marantz "fix" with the new MCR610. Firstly, the slow startup time especially when using the Music Server and iPod functions.

Have you got 'Network Standby' enabled on your M-CR603?

If not....

'Menu' - then use up/down arrow buttons to get 'Network' (enter/memo to select) then 'Other Network' (enter/memo to select) then 'Network Standby' (enter/memo to select) then 'On' (enter/memo to select) then left arrow button a few times to come back out.

This means your M-CR603 will always remain connected to the network (even when in standby).

Startup time (with Marantz in standby) from pressing AirPlay symbol on iPhone or computer is about 3 - 4 seconds.

I have never used the iPod/USB input before (pointless with AirPlay available) but I just tried it and it also took just a few seconds (from selecting iPod/USB) to start playing from my iPhone.

I have known some CD players (especially Rega Apollos) to take longer than that to start playing after a disk is loaded and 'play' pressed.

salparadise

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I recently bought one of these Marantz CR-603 units as my first foray into a dedicated music setup. At present it is only driving some old Q Acoustics 2010 speakers I had lying around but will eventually upgrade to some better performing speakers as finances free up. I dont really have anything other than my old Onkyo 608 as a comparison but since owning the Marantz I am listening to much more music and sticking on Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused To Swing' I was literally stuck to my seat, it sounded fab. With the latest Queens Of The Stone Age album getting a lot of play I am enjoying my music a lot more through this system than the crappy speakers on my iMac or the Onkyo.

matthewpiano

salparadise said:
I recently bought one of these Marantz CR-603 units as my first foray into a dedicated music setup. At present it is only driving some old Q Acoustics 2010 speakers I had lying around but will eventually upgrade to some better performing speakers as finances free up. I dont really have anything other than my old Onkyo 608 as a comparison but since owning the Marantz I am listening to much more music and sticking on Steven Wilson's 'The Raven That Refused To Swing' I was literally stuck to my seat, it sounded fab. With the latest Queens Of The Stone Age album getting a lot of play I am enjoying my music a lot more through this system than the crappy speakers on my iMac or the Onkyo.

Just be aware that a lot of 'better' speakers aren't always as listenable and enjoyable as the Qs. There is something special about them in that regard. You might find that a move up to the 2020i or, if you fancy floorstanders, the 2050i, could give you an extra sense of scale without losing the fun factor.

salparadise

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Just be aware that a lot of 'better' speakers aren't always as listenable and enjoyable as the Qs. There is something special about them in that regard. You might find that a move up to the 2020i or, if you fancy floorstanders, the 2050i, could give you an extra sense of scale without losing the fun factor.

I am a huge fan of Q Acoustics, no plans to upgrade for a while and I regret selling my old 2020s now.

TRENDING THREADS