marantz cr603 still amazing

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Just thought i.d post what living with my 603 is like a cple or so months down the line as i saw a post on here about an op who doesnt seem to be getting on with his. As you can imagine the system has settled in nicely now and although i.m still using my cheap 79 strand cable (and suggestions on a good quality single run upgrade and still need to sell my qed bi-wire) the system sounds absolutely fantastic. Wether from the radio sources cd or vinyl (havent done the straming yet as my pc is still upstairs) everything is just so listenable and sounds so right. Such a far cry from my previous audiolab mono blocs system where i had to turn stuff off after a while especially my hendrix cds which sounded so harsh, now my listening is all fuss free and the happiest with my system i.ve been in years

Sorry guys just thought i.d.ask as i.m not really up on this stuff, but is airplay free with this system and if so how do i activate/access it on the marantz...sorry probably a dumb question but i really dont know much about streaming . My pc will be brought down soon and i will probably use this function then.......thanks guys.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Really good to hear your enjoying your system!

My sister has just bought one with some Kef Speakers (not sure which model but they are the £400 stand mounts) I must agree it sounds pretty good and she got the package from Sevenoaks for £600 which is a bargain.

I was planning to get a unitiqute as a 2nd system for the kitchen/diner but after hearing the marantz I think I'm going to have trouble justifying the cost on unitiqute when the marantz sounds as good as it does.

I don't know about the AirPlay function - doesn't it now come as standard? My sister is streaming from a MacBook Pro to the marantz!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi steve well yeah i thought it came.as standard.i just dont know where to start ... ie is it inbuilt in the system itself etc ... its funny you bringing up the unitiqute cos now ive made the.jump to a one.box system im now curious about how the others sound especially the qute as it looks lush and from what ive read sounds it too although how much better than the 603 i dont know.Glad your sis is enjoying hers tbey are grest systems . I already had my cm1s which i love so bought the 603 for 380 but saw in this months whfi mag for around 250 which would make the naim seem even more expensive

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Start here...

https://airplay.marantz-upgrade.eu/en/

You'll need Product number, serial number, colour, dealer name and purchase date, MAC address and upgrade ID. (It gives clickable links on the 'Get prepared' page to instruct you how to find this info.)

It gives the option on the registration page to click on 'free of charge'.

Follow the instructions given.

Make sure - if it isn't already - that the Marantz is plugged in with ethernet directly to your wireless router for this.

malifact

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I am also a happy Marantz MCR603 owner. The sound quality really is good for the price, although I found choosing the right speakers was a lot more important than I first thought. I originally paired the Marantz with MA BX2s and found the sound a bit muffled. It sounds so much better with the RX1s I recently purchased. There are a couple of things that bug me about the Marantz:

- Slow boot up time, especially when using the iPod and Music Server functions.

- Music Server will "reset" quite often when I use the Marantz remote app on my iPhone.

- Lack of gapless playback when streaming or using the USB function. I didn't think this would bother me until I listened to Green Day's American Idiot the other day.

I'm in a similar position to the other posters in that I have recently been tempted by the Unitiqute. Apart from the sound quality reportedly being of a higher standard with more detail, it seems to address the issues with the Marantz that I listed above and play lossless files better. I still think the Marantz is the best system in its price range. But I have the money now and am thinking I would like a higher end system which is more future proof, as who knows when I will be able to buy hifi equipment again. Any thoughts?

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Its now only £319, not heard this system but that price seems a bargain going of all the positve reviews, It would need to stream spotify via a USB using its internal dac before I would be interested. I dont think it does this ?

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd snap one up from RS pretty quickly at this price, a dealer told me the other day that this model had been discontinued. Alternatively, wait a bit and see what Marantz have up their sleave as a successor. It would be nearer £500 though I would have thought. Airplay was already installed on my 603 from RS, I just fired up iTunes and the Marantz appeared in the Airplay dropdown, couldn't have been easier.

stevebrock said:
My sister has just bought one with some Kef Speakers (not sure which model but they are the £400 stand mounts) I must agree it sounds pretty good and she got the package from Sevenoaks for £600 which is a bargain

Can you find out what the Kef speakers are she has? I've been offered some Q100's by Sevenoaks, they sounded really good in the shop on an Arcam Solo.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
paddyb said:
I'd snap one up from RS pretty quickly at this price, a dealer told me the other day that this model had been discontinued. Alternatively, wait a bit and see what Marantz have up their sleave as a successor. It would be nearer £500 though I would have thought. Airplay was already installed on my 603 from RS, I just fired up iTunes and the Marantz appeared in the Airplay dropdown, couldn't have been easier.

stevebrock said:
My sister has just bought one with some Kef Speakers (not sure which model but they are the £400 stand mounts) I must agree it sounds pretty good and she got the package from Sevenoaks for £600 which is a bargain

Can you find out what the Kef speakers are she has? I've been offered some Q100's by Sevenoaks, they sounded really good in the shop on an Arcam Solo.

it will be in the bundles section on there site - the marantz is on silver though this was 2 weeks ago and they may of sold out as they are being discontinued - I imagine there will be a successor

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, found it eventually. They are indeed Q100's and a great deal at £589 with the Marantz, will see what price I can haggle them down to for the speakers on their own.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I imagine there will be a successor

If it is being dis-continued (there is no indication of this on Marantz's UK website) then it's 'successor' is already out there in the shape of the Denon CEOL RCD-N8. (Almost the same innards in a cheap plastic suit, but no DAB or 'bi-amping').

If Marantz do replace the M-CR603, then I hope they do a retro version with polished hardwood sides, Champagne anodised metal fascia, 'copperplate' font for all the lettering (like on old Marantz receivers) and backlit VU meters :)

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
thanks chebby ... yes mailifact the unitiqute is an interesting and probably higher end alternative and one id be intrested in at some point let me know how you get on

jdluke

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
There are indications that the new models Marantz M-CR610 and M-CR510 (both with WiFi) will be introduced soon. Possibly, technical details could be released during or after the "HIGH END" trade fair in Munich, Germany in about two weeks.

http://wi-fidev2.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA19057

http://wi-fidev2.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA19055

gasolin

Difference between the Marantz mcr503 & mcr603?

dab, the streaming feature and no dac? What's up with the power? 2x60watt rms or 4x30 watt 6ohm?

I think they should make a cheap one without a cdplayer for those of us who only use a computer for music, i mean why pay for a cd player if you don't use it, that's why i have a Denon DRA-F109 (the model without dab) and i don't mind using a cable from my pc to my reciver så personally i don't ned som dlna,wireless streaming, but i do like god sound and a powerfull amp

gasolin

:O (Denon & Marantz is the same company,owners,family)

So what's best the Denon CEOL Piccolo or Marantz mcr503? Ceol n8 or mcr603?

If i don't need the fancy extras Ceol piccolo and mcr503 have,wouldn't the Denon DRA-F109 (that i have) be the best,i mean isn't the amplifier the same as all the others denon's above the Denon M-D39DAB ? (and in mine theres a dac that i use which isn't in the mcr503)

Was thinking, if i where to upgrade in the near future, that i would get the Marantz MCR 603 that so many love, might just buy a dac instead.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:

If i don't need the fancy extras Ceol piccolo and mcr503 have,wouldn't the Denon DRA-F109 (that i have) be the best,i mean isn't the amplifier the same as all the others denon's above the Denon M-D39DAB ? (and in mine theres a dac that i use which isn't in the mcr503)

Was thinking, if i where to upgrade in the near future, that i would get the Marantz MCR 603 that so many love, might just buy a dac instead.

Ok. Sorry but I have no idea what's 'best'. There were no Denon CEOLs at the time I got my M-CR603. (I bought the Marantz because it had exactly the connectivity and functions/sources that I needed and nothing else did right then.)

The M-CR503 is moot point because Marantz stopped making them quite a while ago.

At the time of the first Denon CEOL review, WHF didn't think there was much in it (between that and the Marantz) but gave the M-CR603 the edge on sound quality and build/finish in a group test.

I already had my system sorted so the original Denon CEOL didn't interest me (nor the newer N8 version) so I have never needed to compare them.

I might get the CEOL N5 Piccolo (for a spare room system) where - like you - the only external source will be an iMac and I won't need CD on that one. (My wife still likes to play CDs on the M-CR603 in the living room so any replacement or upgrade there would need a built-in CD player too.)

On the other hand I might wait.

If the speculation on a new M-CR610 announcement is true, then I might get that (if it's an improvement* and if it scheduled to be in the shops this year) and put our M-CR603 in the spare room instead.

I'm in no hurry.

I've looked up your Denon DRA-F109 and would say stick with it. Looks like it does everything you need. (Missing a couple of things i'd need though.)

* If a new Marantz M-CR603 replacement is not as good as the original, then I will be hot-footing it to the nearest dealer (who still has an M-CR603) to buy it from him before they disappear!

pcookie

Dec 12, 2008
Visit site
I've been hankering after a cr-603 for a while as the cost kept on coming down, but I'll wait and see what Marantz replace it with. I'd really like to see a phono stage added and maybe 2 more digital inputs. I'm also suprised Marantz never brought out a KI sig version of the 603. Apart from that or a major change in the look of the thing, I'll be buying one of the last of the current breed.

cookie

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
pcookie said:
I'd really like to see a phono stage added

I really can't see that happening. I'm more inclined to believe there will be fewer analogue options (ie loss of analogue radio, if not both analogue and DAB) and a move towards it being a CD player with a built-in amp, internet radio and multiple digital inputs, plus improved support for formats like gapless FLAC, maybe ALAC and streaming services like Spotify. Surely WiFi will be standard too. Also expect the advertising blurb to speak of improved DAC circuitry and better amplification.

T

the record spot

gasolin said:

If you want a more powerful amp section, then Onkyo's excellent TX-8050 will deliver the goods. Don't expect bells and whistles even with 100wpc on tap though, the 8050 is a very refined performer for the money. Also comes with Spotify onboard, networked capability and handles FLAC as well (just downloaded the 96/24-bit Yes Album off HD Tracks last night on FLAC and it was very impressive). Also comes with an onboard DAC that allows you to connect up to five digital sources (2 optical, 2 coax and one USB mounted device on the fascia).

Pair the Onkyo with good speakers and cracking source material (currently listening to the amazing Dead Can Dance on CD for instance) and you're off - Superfi are doing it for £350 just now.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
gasolin said:

If you want a more powerful amp section, then Onkyo's excellent TX-8050 will deliver the goods. Don't expect bells and whistles even with 100wpc on tap though, the 8050 is a very refined performer for the money. Also comes with Spotify onboard, networked capability and handles FLAC as well (just downloaded the 96/24-bit Yes Album off HD Tracks last night on FLAC and it was very impressive). Also comes with an onboard DAC that allows you to connect up to five digital sources (2 optical, 2 coax and one USB mounted device on the fascia).

Pair the Onkyo with good speakers and cracking source material (currently listening to the amazing Dead Can Dance on CD for instance) and you're off - Superfi are doing it for £350 just now.

I listen to Spotify a lot, this would be right up my street....... :grin:

Most important though is the interface, how easy is it to sit on the sofa and browse Spotify, be nice to get the low down from a 'real' user.

T

the record spot

I find it pretty easy - there's a two line display on the Onkyo, so you select the "Net" option on the handset, then scroll down tot he Spotify link onscreen, it hooks up in a few seconds and then you go through the "What's New", "Search", "Playlists", etc, options provided by Spotify. Once you select playlists, you're in your own listings and you can either scroll down one at a time per artist, or scroll left or right to skip ahead further (maybe ten or so artists? Not sure, never counted but handy if you want to go from Abba to Pink Floyd fairly quickly). Pretty familiar with it now.

Sound quality's good, there's also internet radio as well thanks to VTuner and a few other bits and pieces too.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
I find it pretty easy - there's a two line display on the Onkyo, so you select the "Net" option on the handset, then scroll down tot he Spotify link onscreen, it hooks up in a few seconds and then you go through the "What's New", "Search", "Playlists", etc, options provided by Spotify. Once you select playlists, you're in your own listings and you can either scroll down one at a time per artist, or scroll left or right to skip ahead further (maybe ten or so artists? Not sure, never counted but handy if you want to go from Abba to Pink Floyd fairly quickly). Pretty familiar with it now.

Sound quality's good, there's also internet radio as well thanks to VTuner and a few other bits and pieces too.

I sit 12 - 15 ft from the system so I doubt the dispay would be visible. Any control apps that could be used on a Macbook or iThing?

At the time of writing I am sifting my way through Dylan recordings (on Spotify) looking for the definitive live version of "just like Tom Thumb's Blues".

Don't think I could do that on the Onkyo.

T

the record spot

No, it's not good for that, but you'd probably scout different titles out via your mobile or your computer (which is what I do) and then use that amp later. Best bet is to audition if you can and apps are available with Spotify integration too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts