Marantz CR 603 + Bookshelf speakers on bookshelves

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having decided that the only reasonable solution for my rather cluttered living room is to invest in a decent all-rounder such as the new Marantz CR603 micro system, I am faced with the choice of speakers. The overwhelming opinion on the forums is that MA BX2 and B&W 685 are both good matches across the ranges and a comfortable fit in terms of power. Also, white Q Acoustics 2020i appeal aesthetically and would significantly decrease the OH's grumbling levels, which is an oft overlooked factor in audio setups.
smile.gif

However...

Given the current living space we have, my only option is to place the speakers on actual bookshelves, some 30cm deep. While I know that this is generally frowned upon, and that it may play havoc with rear-firing bass, I have no other solution for now, and am looking for a decent model that will not suffer too much from this positioning. I would imagine that leaving some 5-7cm of space behind, which is possible with some smaller depth speakers, would improve the matter to an extent, but not sure. Ideas/suggestions most appreciated!

A

Anonymous

I wrote a blog earlier this month and I'm going for the Marantz you mentioned, the ones I have at the mo are the Dali zensors 1 (People mention they go well with this micro including WHFM, then again theres always the 9.1 or the 10.1 Wharfdales or go for the smaller 2010 (they come with foam bungs should they be too close to the wall to reduce too much base reflection). I use to the 2010 in cinema room and with DVD music vids in 5.1 thy were quite good. The BX i've heard and were amazing but with a different hifi (marantz 6004 set up) but these were a bit pricey. Hope thi helps

A

Anonymous

Both the B&W 685 and MA BX2's are front ported so should not be too much of problem.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I wasn't really looking into 2010's, since I assumed they were superseded by the i-series, but may consider them. What about the rest of the Dali range, has anyone tried pairing the Lektors 1, 2, or 3 with Marantz?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I replaced my Marantz CD6003/PM6003 with the 603 yesterday and I've very happily used Lektor 1's in this system for the past couple of years. Marantz and Lektor's do go well together, although most people seem to prefer the 2's my personal preference is for the !'s.They are very open, detailed speakers with a good balance to my ears (more so than the 2's IMO from memory) and well worthy of consideration. I have mine wall-mounted which is a very simple procedure using a screw/rawlplug fixing - the 2's and Zensor's are mounted the same way - and to me they sound far better this way than stand mounted. If you ever did go down the Lektor route, or at least with the 1's, I would strongly recommend that you also fix them to the wall rather than leaving them on a shelf.I have no idea what your budget is, but bear in mind that when Mr E reviewed the 603 for Gramophone he did so with a pair of speakers in the 1.5K bracket here http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance so you can certainly set your sights a lot higher if funds allow
I replaced my Marantz CD6003/PM6003 with the 603 yesterday and I've very happily used Lektor 1's in this system for the past couple of years. Marantz and Lektor's do go well together, although most people seem to prefer the 2's my personal preference is for the !'s.

They are very open, detailed speakers with a good balance to my ears (more so than the 2's IMO from memory) and well worthy of consideration. I have mine wall-mounted which is a very simple procedure using a screw/rawlplug fixing - the 2's and Zensor's are mounted the same way - and to me they sound far better this way than stand mounted. If you ever did go down the Lektor route, or at least with the 1's, I would strongly recommend that you also fix them to the wall rather than leaving them on a shelf.

I have no idea what your budget is, but bear in mind that when Mr E reviewed the 603 for Gramophone he did so with a pair of speakers in the 1.5K bracket here http://www.gramophone.co.uk/editorial/marantz-m-cr603-a-compact-solution-packed-with-performance so you can certainly set your sights a lot higher if funds allow

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
My first impression was....WOW!!!I'd been wanting to downsize for a while, and having very recently bought my first ever PC I had been considering the DAC route but in the end I love my CD's too much. I had been considering the Arcam Solo Mini for this reason (long time since I've heard it, though) but it's future proofing is zero and I couldn't justify the £600 outlay for this reason (was a close thing mind). I've read, re-read, and researched the 603 to death, and for what it's worth your opinions of it considering the Naim gear you swapped it for were, amongst others, a tipping point (yes, I bought it blind too!) So, I finally made the decision Tuesday evening to "go for it" and picked it up yesterday afternoon.Initial impressions are that CD replay is just superb. It seems pretty much on a par with my 6003 set-up but it is far too early to make a definitive judgement but I am well, well impressed with the 5-hours of listening I've had already. I have an awful Stones re-master of "Some Girls" and the 603 does a far better job so things are looking good. The DAB radio is very good too, on a par with the Pure Evoke 1-S I had hooked up previously. Okay, everyone knocks DAB, but for my background and non-critical listening it does the job just fine. Next step is to start ripping CD's and see where that takes me, although I will be going the ethernet route rather than streaming. So yes Chebby, first impressions are excellent, and all for £400!!!
My first impression was....WOW!!!

I'd been wanting to downsize for a while, and having very recently bought my first ever PC I had been considering the DAC route but in the end I love my CD's too much. I had been considering the Arcam Solo Mini for this reason (long time since I've heard it, though) but it's future proofing is zero and I couldn't justify the £600 outlay for this reason (was a close thing mind). I've read, re-read, and researched the 603 to death, and for what it's worth your opinions of it considering the Naim gear you swapped it for were, amongst others, a tipping point (yes, I bought it blind too!) So, I finally made the decision Tuesday evening to "go for it" and picked it up yesterday afternoon.

Initial impressions are that CD replay is just superb. I would like to say it's pretty much on a par with my 6003 set-up but it is far too early to make a definitive judgement but I am well, well impressed with the 5-hours of listening I've had already. I have an awful Stones re-master of "Some Girls" and the 603 does a much better job so things are looking good. The DAB radio is very good too, on a par with the Pure Evoke 1-S I had hooked up previously. Okay, everyone knocks DAB, but for my background and non-critical listening it does the job just fine. Next step is to start ripping CD's and see where that takes me, although I will be going the ethernet route rather than streaming. So yes Chebby, first impressions are excellent, and all for £400!!!

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Thats interesting about the 603 ive read on some of the forums that the 603 is not far off the uniti for sq certainly not 2k worth of difference i might have to check one out with some small floor standers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
audioaddict said:
Thats interesting about the 603 ive read on some of the forums that the 603 is not far off the uniti for sq certainly not 2k worth of difference i might have to check one out with some small floor standers

Try it with your RS1s first (you are familar with their sound after all).

Don't stint on quality with new speakers.

My own Rega R3s (small floor standers) sound excellent with the M-CR603. Maybe the current versions (RS3s) would be worth trying.

If you like the Monitor Audio sound, maybe some RX1s (or even RX2s) would suit.

A

Anonymous

I've had the CR 603 with Dali Zensor 1s for past 4 months as a second system in the bedroom and really like the sound and flexibility. I've just upgraded the main system to a Marantz PM and CD 6004. With the MA BX2s. I was initially disappointed with the BX2s. The room they are in is not perfect sonically and the BX2s are up against a wall. Initially this was a bit overwhelming particularly bass wise. I have resorted to sticking in the port bungs that come with the BX2s and this has made things a lot better. The other issue with the BX2s is that they look a tad cheap - they have a fairly naff rubber / plastic edging at the top and bottom of the speaker with the MA logo in it. They are also vinyl rather than wood veneer (this wasn't obvious in a dark dem room ;-( ). The wife (an architect) doesn't like the look of them so have got in a bit of bother for that. The Dali's whilst being cheaper look better.

I have yet to swap them round to see if there is a significant difference when partnered with different kit but will do when I have a spare half hour.

I would go for the Zensor 1s with the CR 603.

Andy

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Do you find the 6004 combo significantly better than the 603? I'm potentially looking to buy either and real world comparisons are greatly appreciated. Also, any limitations sonically with the Dali's?

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I do like the styling of Dalis from what I have seen. Also, I have now found a decent dealer where I can try out the Zensors. However, he does not have the Lektors in stock, so may need to go further afield for those.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
andrew_thornley said:
I've had the CR 603 with Dali Zensor 1s for past 4 months as a second system in the bedroom and really like the sound and flexibility. I've just upgraded the main system to a Marantz PM and CD 6004. With the MA BX2s. I was initially disappointed with the BX2s. The room they are in is not perfect sonically and the BX2s are up against a wall. Initially this was a bit overwhelming particularly bass wise. I have resorted to sticking in the port bungs that come with the BX2s and this has made things a lot better. The other issue with the BX2s is that they look a tad cheap - they have a fairly naff rubber / plastic edging at the top and bottom of the speaker with the MA logo in it. They are also vinyl rather than wood veneer (this wasn't obvious in a dark dem room ;-( ). The wife (an architect) doesn't like the look of them so have got in a bit of bother for that. The Dali's whilst being cheaper look better.

I have yet to swap them round to see if there is a significant difference when partnered with different kit but will do when I have a spare half hour.

I would go for the Zensor 1s with the CR 603.

Andy

Andrew, I am surprised at your thoughts on the BX2's. I have had no issues what sound quality what so ever. In fact I would say they are excellent.It sounds to me as if it's a room acoustics problem and nothing to do with the speakers.As for their build quality, it's hard to find speakers that are wood veneer at £200. The rubber edging isn't brilliant, I agree, but I don't know how you didn't notice at a proper audition. It's good to get hands on with a product before you buy it.

you have one system In a bedroom with lots of soft furnishings ? what furnishings do you have in the main room?

A

Anonymous

To be honest I am fairly sure the room furnishings have a big impact. Much more soft furnishings in bedroom versus hard wood floor with the main system. I do think the 6004 system is better than the 603 but not massively so. Part of the reason I didn't notice the edging was that I auditioned black speakers - where the edging is more subtle - in a dark dem room - but went for the oak finish (to match the hard wood floor) where the plastic edging looks crap. Categorically the Dali's look better for 50 quid less ;-) - particularly important where aesthetics and the other half come in.

The BX2s were definitely bass heavy with their backs to a wall without the port bungs in (and without a bit more running in). But now sound good.

Limitations of the Dali's - smaller - not as much bass presence as the BX2s.... I think the Zensors may well work better on a shelf than the BX2s.

Andy

Andy

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I'm after soundstaging and presence for things like Radiohead's OK Computer or some Pink Floyd, so if the 6004 paints a bigger picture I'd pay the extra for that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts