Marantz CD63 KI

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a Marantz CD63 KI as an upgrade to my Rotel RCD970 bx CD player .I was wondering if this woould be a side step or should I save for something a bit more modern. I have an Audiolab 8000p and Rotel RC970 pre amp and these are bi wired to a pair of Monitor Audio BR5 speakers which are bi wired using QED aniversary XT cable. I listen to all kinds of music from rock to classical.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
All I can say that in its day it was the best £500 CDP on the market, so much so I had one, very detailed and smooth sounding. I think you should pay about £150 for a good condition one.

Wether it's an upgrade or side step I don't know, but for the money you won't beat it.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
There is no doubt that CD63 in particular the MKII SI Signature version is a very good CDP. But don't make it wrong it is only a GOOD CDP when compared with other CDPs of around £500 price tag. It cannot be said to be a high ended CDP.

Having said that IF you know some DIY then that will be a different story. When your CD63 after suitable modding it can be transformed into an excellent CDP which is well beyond your expectation.

From my own personal experience I have just completed modding a CD63 MKII SI and TBH it is as good as my Leema Antila II CDP which costs me £3000 when new. Actually the modded CD63 is even warmer than Antila II and with deeper and tighter base.

You may see some of my work here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86876386@N05/

TRENDING THREADS