Marantz CD6004

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering buying the CD6004, but wondered if I could use it as a stand-alone item? As I don't have room for speakers I will be using headphones, so is it necessary to buy the matching amp as well? I've been using an old (1980's) Technics SL-PJ26A CDP and a more recent Sony CMT-SPZ90DB, but can't hear much difference between them. Would I really find a big difference with the Marantz?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
No, you don't need a seperate amp to run headphones, just plug them straight in to the headphone jack

I have the previous model the CD6003 which has quite a good headphone jack for low impedance phones (e.g. Grado's), but it really does struggle with higher imperdance ones. One of the areas which Marantz did pay particular attention to on it's replacement the 6004 was upgrading the headphone performance, but having not heard it I can't comment on how it performs in comparision.

Have you actually got a particular set of headphones that you wish to use? It's a simple job in that case just to take them along to a dealer for a demo. If not, this could get a little tricky as headphones are nigh on impossible to audition. Hope this helps.

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Sizzers. Yes, I've got a pair of Grado SR60i 'phones which have already made a huge difference to my listening pleasure. They even work well with my unamplified HTC Hero music player. The Technics CDP I'm using is connected to a Technics SU-X101 "Stereo Integrated Amplifier" with RCA leads.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Wardio said:
Thanks Sizzers. Yes, I've got a pair of Grado SR60i 'phones which have already made a huge difference to my listening pleasure. They even work well with my unamplified HTC Hero music player. The Technics CDP I'm using is connected to a Technics SU-X101 "Stereo Integrated Amplifier" with RCA leads.

Well the 6003 is an excellent CDP and the 6004 by all accounts is even better.

Not my taste anymore but I used to run SR80i's in to my 03 so I would take your 60's along for a listen.

matthewpiano

Although the SPZ90DB was one of the better Sony micro systems of its time, I'm sure the 6004 would be a big step up. As Sizzers says, take you Grados along and see how you find it. I use my Sennhesier HD595s directly into the headphone output on my 6003 and it sounds excellent.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Wardio said:
Thanks MP. I'll probably take a CD of my choice too!

DEFINITELY take the music you listen to, I have auditoined a lot of equipment lately and have taken the music that I have been listening to over the last few days prior to the auditions.

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks W. I'll have to be sure it's a good one. Getting a half-decent pair of 'phones has allowed me to discover the dross I've been gaily listening to of late!

Wardio

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Well folks, I had a "go" of this cdp at a Newcastle hifi shop and it didn't convince me to spend £249 odd on it. To begin with, their listening room was out of action so I had to hunker down in the shop and contend with passing traffic (their doors were open to the street) and visiting customers, so I suppose it was at a disadvantage. I gave it a variety of music including Telemann Suite for Flute and Strings in A Minor (Omega 191006)/ Anne Murray "Croonin'"/ Counting Crows "Films About Ghosts"/ R.E.M. Singles Collected, but I just could not find anything which detracted from the quality of my old Technics SL-PJ26A. Perhaps I was expecting too much, hoping to be "blown away" by the Marantz. The only other difference is that I have the Technics connected to an amplifier whereas the Marantz was a stand-alone listen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts