MARANTZ CD-63 and SE model

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Around 1990-2, I think.....

There was an OSE model and then the infamous Marantz CD63 KI.......

I've owned three of these players (and still do.....CD63 at my parents house, and a mate is using my OSE), and the KI version is defo the one to get......around £150 off ebay!!!

matthewpiano

Marantz have rarely made a bad CD player. Of the later ones the CD6003 and the current CD6004 are both superb, as is the discontinued SA7001 and SA7001 KI Signature. The 7001 models have the advantage of offering SACD playback.

The CD63SE and the CD63 KI-Signature are both excellent players.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This was the original Marantz CD63...

cd-63%281%29.JPG

...a rebadged Philips CD100. It was the world's 2nd ever commercial CD player launched just after the Sony CDP-101 (in late 1982 I think).

camcroft

Thanks for that. At the moment I have the following system Sony TA-FE570 amp and Sony CDP-XE570 cd player and a pair of Mission 701 speakers.I think the Sony CDP is possibly the weak link and was thinking of replacing it with the Marantz and I am thinking about changing the speakers have you got any suggestions old or new.Thanks

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I still use the marantz cd63se. I also have the marantz 6000ose but overall I preferred the marantz cd63se. The marantz cd6000ose has extra refinement and top end detail and slightly cleaner sound. The marantz 63se has warmer more natural mids where most instruments and voices are. It also had more body to the instruments and a deeper soundstage and it just sounded more musical and tonally balanced - especially on more complex recordings (eg bands) on my system anyway.

I have compared the marantz to many newer budget cd players but preferred the marantz cd63se ( below $1000 AUS). When you get to the rega apollos and creek evo thats when you have the increase of performance. I havent heard the new marantz cd6004 though. The marantz cd63Ki adds a bit more smoothness and refinement to the 63se thats about all.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Steve.

camcroft

camcroft said:
Thanks for that. At the moment I have the following system Sony TA-FE570 amp and Sony CDP-XE570 cd player and a pair of Mission 701 speakers.I think the Sony CDP is possibly the weak link and was thinking of replacing it with the Marantz and I am thinking about changing the speakers have you got any suggestions old or new.Thanks
So the one in the picture is it the better model the one that costs a bit more.Thanks

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Have a look at the website hometheatrereview.com .I think the mkii Ki is just the Ki version of the 63 series (63, 63SE, 63IIKI etc). The 67 version was smoother (softer) than the 63 series however it lost some of the dynamic/drive and sparkle of the 63 series. Probably best to contact Marantz to make sure though. A mate of mine had the Ki - a nice machine and by the picture it looks fairly similar to the 63se except for the gold logo.

Cheers

Steve.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Prior to buying my CD6004 I seriously considered buying a CD63 KI Sig. They were always excellent performers back in the day & I'd often hankered after one. However the thought of replacing one 15 year old CDP, which had started to misbehave, with another 15 year old CDP, which could well start to misbehave, steered me towards the new kit.

Anyway having auditioned the CD6004 shortly after listening to a friends CD63 KI Sig I definately felt that the CD6004 was the better machine. I know, I know, our "aural memory" is vanishingly short & the two auditions were conducted using different amps & speakers etc but the CD6004 is really a superbly musical CDP that really stood out over the other machines I had listened to.

I also tested it in my system against my outgoing Sony CDP XE900E (a 5* winner back in its day) and the difference was night and day, the CD6004 was a much more accomplished player.

Remember also that these machines are getting a bit long in the tooth & whilst the components to service & upgrade them is reasonably easy to come by, can you really be bothered?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts