Marantz CD 10 @ £375 versus modern £400 CD Playeer???

pete9012s

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Theres a refurbished Marantz CD 10 for sale on ebay for about £375 at present.

How much did the CD10 cost when new? And how would it fare against a modern £400 CD player??

(I seem to remember Andrew Everard had one of these on long term test and it used to get stuck because he left it constantly switched on,promting Marantz to come up with a fix for heavy users such as the What HIFI team??)

Regards

Pete

A

Anonymous

Back in the 90's this was the flagship of Marantz. Superb cast metal cdm 4 drive and a real heavyweight with more than 16 kg. It sounds good. Deep bass with a nice soundstage. I also used it as a drive with a PS audio dac. And there it did even a greater job. I am not such a big fan of the DAC7 ( bitstream ) , but it should outperform the modern players, because of the attention to detail of the design.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Used disc players can be a minefield. Worn mechanisms and failing lasers being the most common problems. If you can still get spares easily and cheaply, pick up a couple of the aforementioned bits if buying the Marantz (just in case).

At the price, you might be better off getting a used flagship model universal disc player.

A

Anonymous

A check up would be needed, to determine its condition. If the cdm 4 drives still is in good shape, I would use it as a drive.

pete9012s

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Ocean37 said:
Back in the 90's this was the flagship of Marantz. Superb cast metal cdm 4 drive and a real heavyweight with more than 16 kg. It sounds good. Deep bass with a nice soundstage. I also used it as a drive with a PS audio dac. And there it did even a greater job. I am not such a big fan of the DAC7 ( bitstream ) , but it should outperform the modern players, because of the attention to detail of the design.

Thanks for that informative answer.

ps enjoyed looking around your web site,especially the section on your best speakers!

Can recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet checked it out.

Regards

pps.would love to seeWHAT HIFI conduct the occasional review of new kit versus old,maybe blind testing with readers invited etc,to analize how hifi has moved on (or not) over the last maybe 10 years or so!

Pete

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The problem with the CD-10 transport wasn't anything to do with it always being on, but IIRC was explained to me as the swing-arm carrying the optical assembly getting stuck on the end-stop against which it 'parks' when it's at rest – ie when no disc is being played.

Seems – and again I'm trying to remember at a distance of some time – that the material of the stop got a bit sticky, and when that happened the 'drive' on the swing-arm didn't have quite enough 'oomph' to free it from the stop. I gather it was a fairly simple modification to put it right.

A

Anonymous

pete9012s said:
Ocean37 said:

Thanks for that informative answer.

ps enjoyed looking around your web site,especially the section on your best speakers!

Can rec

ommend it to anyone who hasn't yet checked it out.

Regards

pps.would love to seeWHAT HIFI conduct the occasional review of new kit versus old,maybe blind testing with readers invited etc,to analize how hifi has moved on (or not) over the last maybe 10 years or so!

Pete

Thanks a lot Pete, I just started this website and I am happy I got some positive feedback! Old vs new would be really interesting article, probably there will be some shocking outcomes! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts