Marantz, B&W & NAD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I want to thank this forum and all the people who partake in it. Im new to this arena and this forum has helped me immensely.

I bought a Marantz PM8003 Intergrated, Marantz CD6003 CD player and B&W 683 speakers. I was satisfied but not blown away and I felt the sound was a little on the bright side for my tastes. I decided to see if beafing it up would improve things for me. I demo'd the NAD C275, Rotel 1582 and the Plinius 9200 (which is going damn cheap here at the moment). They all had there pros and cons except maybe the Rotel which didnt sound great in my opinion and brightened things up even further!

I ended up with the NAD. For the money it is great. I upgraded to Chord CobraPlus interconnects also and Chord Carnival SilverScreen cables. Things sound great although Im not totally convinced on the speaker cables quite yet. I had some high end local branded cables which were a bit warmer. The Chord seemed to have opened things up a bit with (maybe) excessive bass (I love bass normally) and a hint of top end with a weakening of the midrange... quite interesting wiring each speaker individually and use the balance to hear the difference!

They may grow on me but Im not throwing the old cables!

Anyway thanks again :)

A

Anonymous

Meant to say too, I kept the Marantz PM8003 as the preamp as it sounded better then the NAD C165...

A

Anonymous

Sounds like you've got yourself a fairly beefy system there
smiley-cool.gif

As for speaker cable; I can highly recommend the Chord Odyssey 2; it's a brilliant cable and brings out more detail than the SilverScreen (IMO it's a good cable but for budget systems really although it does work well with more expensive systems; the Odyssey 2 just brings out the details that can be lacking at times with the Silverscreen cable)

Have you tried bi-wiring your speakers; I noticed that when I demo'd the 683's with my NAD pre/power; they were very detailed and punchy when bi-wired. However I've got my CM5's single wired with the Chord Signature speaker cable jumper cables and the soundstage is superb so may be worth trying either/or and seeing how you get on

A

Anonymous

I 2nd the Chord Odyssey 2 and bigging up this forum. its a brill cable for medium to budget systems.

when i had my old nad and marantz kit and upgraded to the Chord Odyssey 2 I noticed a big improvement in quality.

also, dont underestimate speaker placement and room acoustics-theres loads of old threads on this forum on both-very useful.

good luck and happy listening

A

Anonymous

I agree with the above

Also try single wiring the speakers but with some jumper bar replacement cables (i.e. the Chord Signature speaker cable jumper cables but you can get them on eBay made from Chord Odyssey or QED Silver Anniversary XT cable - I've got these currently in my 2nd system and they're brill for £10)!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts