Marantz amp and player do they go together

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought a Marantz 6004 amp and Tannoys Mercury V4 which have cd's played through a Sony cd player that is 15 years old. Went into a top hi fi store today to get the Marantz 6004 cd player and was advised that the amp and cd didn't go as well together as the cd could be a bit 'bright' with the amp and the salesman made no attempt to sell me the cd player despite just walking in and asking for one. He is setting one up for me to demo with the amp and speaker set that I have. I listen to Snow Patrol/Bon Jovi/ZZ Top type rock. Have any Marantz combo experts any thoughts on their set up. I must say I was impressed that he didn't take the money and run like a lot would do. If anyone has another CDP that they would recommend I listen to at the demo I would be grateful. The kids are getting the old system...I am not just buying for buying sake but they are not getting a new set up...they take everything else
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
They do go together. I've heard them together & they work brilliantly. The CD6004 is not "bright" in the least, but it does extract a whole bunch of information from a disc. I also tested it with a yamaha amp that showed up the brightness in a Cambridge CD650C compared to the Marantz. It's a funny one, it's very detailed, but almost warm sounding, like a good turntable.

As you might guess, I'm very happy with mine.

Believe me, the CD6004 is a lovely player.

What did they try to sell you instead.....?

A

Anonymous

Rob they didn't try to sell me any other, just the offer of a demo to hear the two together. Mind you he did mention a Cambridge for nearly twice the price of the Marantz. I am going in on Tuesday for a listen. Thanks for your thoughts.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Right, so it's Richer Sounds.

I've got no problem with them, that's where I bought mine (and indeed a load of other stuff). But initially they did try to push the (slightly more expensive) Cambridge over the the Marantz, but in the end even their salesman ended up preferring the Marantz over the Cambridge when I demo'd them. And the marantz was fresh out of the box whereas the Cambridge was obviously part of their regular demo set up (which would make a difference if you believe in component burn in). It was a slightly strange result as I recall, the Cambridge sounded bright yet at the same time very, very slightly muffled if you know what i mean. TBH, it was a great player in isolation, but the Marantz was clearly superior to my ears.

It's well worth trying out the stuff they suggest though, in my experience the Richer Sounds sales bods are fairly good & do try to match their customers expectations, but they will always recommend Cambridge kit in the first instance.

A

Anonymous

RS it is and interesting we got the same spiel. I will let you know my thoughts.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Funny, I got told the Cambridge Audio One+ was far superior to the Marantz MCR603 when I went in for a look on Saturday, and when I asked about the PM/CD6004 combo he then demo'd a Cambridge Audio set of seperates instead. I just smiled and kept my thoughts to myself whilst he babbled on

He also said the 603 was in no way powerful enough to run floorstanders (despite me seeing multiple threads on here to the contrary)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
Funny, I got told the Cambridge Audio One+ was far superior to the Marantz MCR603 when I went in for a look on Saturday...

...He also said the 603 was in no way powerful enough to run floorstanders (despite me seeing multiple threads on here to the contrary)

Go to another dealer. The CA One+ mini system is 25 watts per channel (into 8 ohms) and the Marantz 50 watts per channel. (I know what i'd rather be using to drive my floor-standers. Oh, that's right, I do :) )

Here are the reviews...

http://www.whathifi.com/review/one

http://www.whathifi.com/review/marantz-m-cr603 (and the 2011 award)

...of course reviews aren't everything, but I think you'll agree that is a pretty stark difference.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Gibs_MK said:
Funny, I got told the Cambridge Audio One+ was far superior to the Marantz MCR603 when I went in for a look on Saturday, and when I asked about the PM/CD6004 combo he then demo'd a Cambridge Audio set of seperates instead. I just smiled and kept my thoughts to myself whilst he babbled on

He also said the 603 was in no way powerful enough to run floorstanders (despite me seeing multiple threads on here to the contrary)

Perhaps he used to work for Currys - they don't know what they're talking about either.

A

Anonymous

Commission on Cambridge must be good then, maybe that's why they cost more. Marantz must not pay enough and all their money goes into the product. I will listen carefully tomorrow.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After hearing the Marantz CD6004 through a Marantz PM6004 and a Yamaha AS 500 (using the Dali Zentor 5 floorstanders), I can confirm that the Marantz pairing does work very well!!!

As mentioned, Cambridge must offer better commission on their products.... :shifty:

As you can see below, I went home with the Marantz amp....... :rofl:

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
You're making my decisions even harder now as I see you have a CD63 KI like I do and the PM6004 is top of my shortlist alongside the MCR603 or the Onkyo 8050 :oops:

A

Anonymous

:rofl: Whose a happy bunny then? The Marantz 6004 cd player and Marantz 6004 amp are indeed an excellent combo. The Tannoys are working hard as I type....good job we are detached! So thanks boys and girls for your thoughts over the last few days. Richer Sounds certainly took the time to get me what I wanted and didn't mind all the swapping of different speakers/amps/players till I got to what I wanted all whilst listening to mono tracks to get the speaker difference sorted and then all the various cd's I took in to sample. They certainly showed a top customer approach so I would certainly recommend them.Thanks again and happy listening to you all.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I have no idea whether to fix the noisy transport on my CD63KI, or if buying the CD6004 is a step down in quality. Or buy an MCR603 and play it with my Ruark Talisman II's, or the CD/PM6004 combo with some Tannoy V4's

So many damn options :rofl:

A

Anonymous

:grin: It's only money and you only live once... and as as I heard on the radio today...just because your breathing doesn't mean your alive...your move! :grin:

purwoadi

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Dear Bluesnappa, after 3 months of burn-in, how its sound your couple CD/PM 6004 and Tannoy Mercury V4 ?

Is the cymbal sound like a real cymbal or just a cring ? Regards,

purwoadi

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Dear Bluesnappa, after 3 months of burn-in, how its sound your couple CD/PM 6004 and Tannoy Mercury V4 ?

Is the cymbal sound like a real cymbal or just a cring ? Regards,

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hey bluesnappa, I genuinely thought that my Marantz 5004 cd sounded better with my brother's Marantz 5004 amp than with my Cambridge audio 340a amplifier. Marantz is also one of those brands known to have products that go well together. As for the salesman, bless him...there are not many people in the world who would do this, most of the remaining work for hi-fi it seems. Having said that, a demo can prove him right or wrong!

A

Anonymous

After three months all is well and I am really enjoying the set up. The cymbals sound fine and the walls are still standing with no sign of cracking despite cranking up the volume. Seriously though, listening to music has become a pleasure again and the Marantz amp drives the Tannoys in a way that really lets you sit, close your eyes and get right into the sound stage. The Marantz 6004cd is certainly well paired and I am glad I bought it all. I am not sure how much better a system twice the price or more would be and maybe one day I will give it a try should I have a few grand spare (ho ho) ...no chance! The Tannoys are a real steal as far as bass and sound quality are concerned and they are something that the rest of the family (the missus) has also commented on in a positive way. Just need a new house now with the biwires routed under floor to hide them. The concrete one in the lounge is fine for setting the spikes of the speakers into though. So all in all :rofl:

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I blind tested the pm6004 and the Roksan Kandy a few months ago.

Both were fed by a marantz cd6004 (which is my source) and were played through Kef q500's.

The marantz combo, to me was a lot better, I found the Roksan boring, which I was gobsmacked at due to the price difference.

So yes, they go together wonderfully

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Sizzers said:
Gibs_MK said:

Perhaps he used to work for Currys - they don't know what they're talking about either.

Hey, I won't have that said. (I like to think I'm better than most)

Although I did once venture into the HiFi section of a megastore incognito. They had some Kef iQ50s priced up at £999 a pair. I told them they usually go for about half that and that RS had them for £399.

His response was "and you're sure that's for the pair?"

Still, cohersed them into honouring the price match plus 10% difference and got a pair for £340. I'm not a fan but my dad was fixated on them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts