Marantz 6004 amp & Cd speaker advice

jeffro

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I recently purchased the Marantz PM6004 amp & CD6004 cd player with a pair of Grado SR80i headphones

I am very happy with the sound, i listen to mostly electronic DJ dance music

I was looking for some advice as to which speakers to buy to complete my set up

I was looking at a budget of around £400,so i suppose the KEF Q300 and the M/A BX2 are contenders

I did read that the KEF's are quite bright and may not suite my amp and cd player, would this be correct

I do have an old pair of Tannoy Mercury M1 speakers in the loft, would a new pair really give me a dramatic improvement

i would prefer stand mounted speakers

many thanks for any help

A

Anonymous

With your budget I'd definitly be looking at the B&W 685's, Monitor Audio RX1's (or RX2's if you can find a good deal) and the Kef Q300's

Heard the 6004 set-up with all the above bar the RX2's and all were superb (RX1's being my fave then the 685's). Kef's very good but top end was a little too forward for my tastes b ut other people like that ;)

I listen to a lot of electronica (Royksopp, Fischerspooner, Mount Kimbie, Layo & Bushwacka etc...); all the above speakers will sound superb with your amp and music 8)

jeffro

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
thanks hi fi lover for your help

yes i did hear the kef's were a bit on the bright side especially at the top end

i have found the M/A BX2 for £225 and the Q300 £450

i know the kef's won the award this year but are they worth the extra £225 or double the price

getting a bit confused now!!

btw i thought the RX 6 were floorstanders at £800

A

Anonymous

The RX6's are floorstanders so they're out of your price range...

The BX2's are superb speakers but the KEF Q300's have just that bit more about them (as you'd expect). The M/A RX1's would be a more of a fairer comparison and boy oh boy are they good speakers ;)

If you can have a demo of them along side the Q300's and 685's if you can... From there I'm sure you'd be able to make a decision!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Don't forget Dali speakers. They have great synergy with Marantz.

The Dali Zensor 1 may be cheap but don't let that fool you. Fantastic speakers.

A

Anonymous

I had the 6004 on home demo with some Q100 / Q300 / R100. And although the Q series where very good, I went went for the R series, (R100 @£500) which offered better control over the lower end, and more openness and better detail at the top end. In fact I'm just about to buy another 2 for rear surrounds and I hardly ever bother having my subwoofer on since purchasing these (and never when listening to 2 channel music).

Out of the Q's I sous say it depends on the size of your room, but my pick would be the Q300, the Marantz / Kef match is excellent IMO.

damodollard

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
MA bx2 £225,

speaker cables £50 -70

Stands £100

Dont forget to the extras. Would not pair the Pm6004 with the MA RX1, or 2 the seem to perfer more watts. But thats just my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts