Many Questions , receiver upgrade ?

mgillespie05

Jul 1, 2008
Visit site
Now , I am contemplateing upgradeing my onkyo 906 , a great piece of av it has been for the last four years, i have it connected to the intrnet but dont realy use this much, So a new receiver would not have to be a online great , THX is a must as i am buying Crystal acoustics 7.2THX system in the comming months. But have the newer onkyos improved enough for me to spend 2000 plus , i would like more power yes but wifi , you can buy adapters , i am a gammer ps3, ps4 ordered, so is there a big enough leap in sound and overall quality or should i wait a year or two.

Q2 is it me or is there a lack of THX blue ray discs , any recommendations.

Why has THX no filtered into gamming.

I await your taughts and ideas . :cheers:

my present system is , Pioneer 600a Kuro, Onkyo 906 , E A agios 7.1 speakers, Sky HD , PS3 plus Dat player , Sony cd recorder and turntable.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
The current Onkyo TX-NR5010 is a beast. I owned an Onkyo 906 and a 5007 for about 6 months a piece and there has been substantial gains with video processing and audio performance in the new model/s since the 906. Currently the Onkyo TX-NR5010 is the best integrated AV amplifier I have heard however I will be testing the new Arcam in the coming days so my opinion may change depending upon how it performs.

Loving the inclusion of the DAT player in your system by the way...... :bounce:

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Hello the movie rooms

Could I ask...going to the other end of the scale, is the Onkyo 616 still a good buy I can get one for £260 and for what you get it seems a no brainer, I realise that there have been issues but I am happy to give it a go, for £399 I can get the 717 but I think this will be a little over kill for my needs..small room, mid terraced and all that, I appreciate this is a bargain but do not want to buy it just because it is cheap, and to be honest there is not night and day difference between the 2, Or it will be the pioneer VSX-1120 £269 but I am just not 100% I would say the 616 is worth a try, but would like your thoughts if you would be so kind.

Many thanks.. 8)

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
pioneer7 said:
Hello the movie rooms

Could I ask...going to the other end of the scale, is the Onkyo 616 still a good buy I can get one for £260 and for what you get it seems a no brainer, I realise that there have been issues but I am happy to give it a go, for £399 I can get the 717 but I think this will be a little over kill for my needs..small room, mid terraced and all that, I appreciate this is a bargain but do not want to buy it just because it is cheap, and to be honest there is not night and day difference between the 2, Or it will be the pioneer VSX-1120 £269 but I am just not 100% I would say the 616 is worth a try, but would like your thoughts if you would be so kind.

Many thanks.. 8)

Hi pioneer7,

If the Onkyo is new with a warranty at that price it is a pretty good deal, if not I might be tempted to shave a little more off the price if you can. The Onkyo amplifiers at this level are much more reliable than they used to be, so you should have no worries on that score. If I read your "sig" right your running Mordaunt Short In-Walls? If that is the case then the Onkyo should be a good bet as it is quite a dynamic sound and will help with the nature/behaviour of the In-Wall's. I don’t think you would notice a massive step up to the Onkyo 717 and suspect that the Pioneer might be a bit brash with the Mordaunt Shorts IMO.

A Yamaha might be a good call to look at as well but you would be safe with the Onkyo at that price.

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Movie room

The price quoted is from richer sounds and that is to VIP Memebers, so I am not sure if I could it cheaper, it is a shame you are so far away, the good thing is if there is a problem I can just take it back rather than mess about with couriers, in your opinion what would be a fair price to pay.

Thanks 8)

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
mgillespie05 said:
Now , I am contemplateing upgradeing my onkyo 906 , a great piece of av it has been for the last four years, i have it connected to the intrnet but dont realy use this much, So a new receiver would not have to be a online great , THX is a must as i am buying Crystal acoustics 7.2THX system in the comming months. But have the newer onkyos improved enough for me to spend 2000 plus , i would like more power yes but wifi , you can buy adapters , i am a gammer ps3, ps4 ordered, so is there a big enough leap in sound and overall quality or should i wait a year or two.

Q2 is it me or is there a lack of THX blue ray discs , any recommendations.

Why has THX no filtered into gamming.

I await your taughts and ideas . :cheers:

my present system is , Pioneer 600a Kuro, Onkyo 906 , E A agios 7.1 speakers, Sky HD , PS3 plus Dat player , Sony cd recorder and turntable.

Any further thoughts on this Martin?

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
mgillespie05 said:
I await the out come , picked up a grundig minidisk player/recorder the other day for 15 euros, got pack of disks at Maplin . sound is most inpressive.

:rockout:I still have my Sony MD player in the loft. I fully intend to break it back out again when I move house later in the year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts