Question Making an old hifi wireless - aptX HD?

daveoz

Oct 31, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
I've got a hifi system which is years old now - old (probably 70s vintage) Technics turntable, NAD amp and some bi-wired TDL speakers.

I would love to listen to my vinyl again, but problem is I never do because we don't have room for the speakers nor a route to run cables if I bought smaller speakers.

Is there a good way of transmitting from the amp to, say, a small set of bookcase speakers wirelessly?
(And/or a set of wireless headphones?)
Ideally I'd like to do this in a way that doesn't *completely* negate the audio advantage of vinyl and still have some reason to listen to the vinyl as opposed to just streaming stuff from Spotify instead..

Would a bluetooth transmitter and speakers supporting aptX HD do this, or is that just going to sound naff?
For instance, I've seen a Avantree Oasis Plus Certified aptX HD Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter.
Is it easy to find speakers that support apx HD? Anyone do this?

Don't really want to spend very much on this - a couple of hundred maybe.. it's just a last wheeze before admitting to myself I should just get rid of the lot!

jjbomber

Yes it can be done, as long as you let us know exactly what amp it is. At a guess it will have a tape out or a headphone socket and you'll have to use that. The Avantree needs a digital optical input, which you probably don't have.

We need more details before you buy anything.

daveoz

Oct 31, 2020
Visit site
Thanks - yes it's a NAD 302 which doesn't have any optical out...
There's a headphone jack, and 2x tape out phono rca sockets.
7086-nad_302b.JPG

7085-nad_302.JPG

danny-79

Oct 3, 2020
Visit site
A bluetooth transmitter/receiver should do the trick. You can then transmit the sound from your amp to bluetooth speakers or earphones.
With a transmitter/receiver you can also stream sound from a smartphone, tablet or computer to the amp.
I suppose you could always try one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YW8Q...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Would this work for headphones?
I’ve got a set of Bose quiet comfort and I’m looking for something like this (plug it into headphones socket on amp and connect to headphones)
Idea if it does. Good price too!

What is the sound quality like say compared to a lead ?

iMark

Yes it would. It depends a bit on the Bluetooth codec you can use. Some codecs are rather compressed, some are much better.
I would give it a go. The convenience of wireless earphones is phenomenal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts