Make me a speaker short list!

Jonesiani

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm going to begin demoing some speakers soon. I'd like some help at arriving at 5-6 models to demo with.

Budget is up to £800

I have Marantz CD6004 and PM6004,with Chord crimson plus interconnect, and a Copperline alpha mains cable for each of them.

Speakers will be in a living room, with carpet, standard living room size of 12x 14 feet.

The only speakers I've heard with ,y system have been the kef q500, and whilst great, I found them lacking in bass. I am, however, not a huge bass head, and I enjoy a detailed sound. I listen mainly to prog rock (porcupine tree, Opeth, MESHUGGAH, mars Volta) and anything up to limp bizkit and chill out music, and 80s pop.

I will consider both floorstanding and stand mounts.

What hifi say good things about the q300s and Tannoy floorstanders, what do you think?

I look forward to reading your ideas.

matthewpiano

I would suggest auditioning the excellent Dali Zensor 5 floorstanders. Very musical speakers, like most Dali designs. Also try some bigger Focal standmounters - the Chorus 806v are superb. Both Dali and Focal work well with Marantz.

matthewpiano

Then you might also wish to try the Dali Lektor 2s which are front ported and work very well close to a rear wall. The Zensor 1s are actually every bit as good, but they do prefer a little more space than the Lektors.

Jonesiani said:
Thank you, I should also point out that the speakers may have to be close to a wall, as space is premium.

That won't be a problem for Focals, they are front ported. Also consider ProAc Tablettes, AE, and although rear ported, Ruark Sabre III (retail usually around £900-£1,000 mark, but because they are a little long in the tooth there may be a deal going) which are superb and perhaps the newer Epos marks.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Not much help with your speaker problem I know but if you are into your prog rock you should listen to Big Elf Coheed & Cambra and Uriah Heep not much help I know good luck in your searching:rockout:

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Not much help with your speaker problem I know but if you are into your prog rock you should listen to Big Elf Coheed & Cambra and Uriah Heep not much help I know good luck in your searching:rockout:

gangus

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have the Marantz PM6003 and have been auditioning theCD6004 with:

MA BX2, MA RX1, MA RX2, B&W685, KEF Q300

My first choice is the MA RX1 which I will be purchasing soon.

The MA RX6's might also be worth a listen. I didn't audition them as they were out of my budget.

good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts