mains filtration - deals to be had

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
serious note good deals to be had - cheap enough for all to try - buy and report back

6way
http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-qonduit-mdh6-mains-distribution-hub-6-way-p-709.html

4way
http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-qonduit-mdh4-mains-distribution-hub-4-way-p-708.html

2way
http://www.futureshop.co.uk/qed-qonduit-mdh2-mains-distribution-hub-2-way-p-710.html

A

Anonymous

Already have the QED Qonduit 4-way. Bought it from HiFiCables.co.uk for about the same price.

To my ears, it's no better or worse than my £49 Tacima unit that I needed to expand from (I needed to plug in my Wii!) However, for £96 the QED is a slicker unit with better mains cabling supplied and dedicated sockets for high-draw and low-draw units. It's in a nice silver and sturdy-looking housing with a cool blue light. If you believe in the advantages of mains conditioning, as I do for audio and television, why not get one?

A

Anonymous

or you could save yourself even more money and buy a BT mains filtering unit from ebay for around 15 or 20 quid. they work a treat - trust me, i own three of them!

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:or you could save yourself even more money and buy a BT mains filtering unit from ebay for around 15 or 20 quid. they work a treat - trust me, i own three of them!

Where? I've been looking for a few months now (on and off, usually when it gets a mention here) and stumbled across only one a few days ago and that was £50 + £12 P&P. And that seems to have gone now... maybe I'm plugging in the wrong search terms?

A

Anonymous

just ulucky i guess - i just had a quick look and couldnt see any at the mo. remember to search all categories when you look because they are normally listed as industrial items (because that is what they are made for).

just ignore people like tarquinh - they dont know what they are talking about.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
well i ordered one to swap out my merlin tarantula 8 way which will be going on ebay next week - thought would tr as a change - i also have all merlin cables for each ind unit so thought the two would battle different things

A

Anonymous

Re: mains conditioner.
Good morning, there are various types of main conditioning, many regard Russ Andrews as being the leading man in the UK on this work.
www.russandrews.com
The cheapest start to it is buying a Tacima 6 plug extension (£24) which many of us use.
I also use Kimberkord Classic mains cables on all my system. (bought over the years)
Then recently (as I have posted on here) I discovered a bargain off EBay - BT Mains Conditioning Units.
They make a few models housing 125VA to 500VA transformers along with Mains capacitors for smoothing. They have from 1 to 3 13Amp sockets.
They can be picked up for around £45ish when there is one about.
They make an substantial difference even on top of what I have already done.
Unfortunately BT no longer make them, it's telephone engineers replacing systems that come across them and sell them on EBay I find.
They sound to me to be as good as the £2000+ ones (and I have in the past had a Russ Andrews one running a pair of Limited addition Marantz MA6 monoblocks).

Off one 20A spur/ring main, I would buy a extension and onto this the Mains conditioning units (I have 2), and TV plug.
Also buy a Multi-plug (Maplins/EBay) it fits up to 4 low current items into it, Star Earthed so it cuts out ground loops.

If you go down this route you can quite cheaply make a major improvement to both the sound and picture on your AV system as well as on HI-FI.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, and especially trevor for the detailed low-down. I already have a couple of Tacima's, and they are certainly one of those upgrades you can hear (and see) the difference without having to do any ABX comparisons to convince yourself!

I've seen the posts previously on the BT conditioners and they certainly intrigue me... I remember years and years ago seeing some pictures of some guy in Japan modifying his equipment and running it off hundreds of batteries connected together in attempt to elimate any influence from the mains supply. A bit extreme... I'll keep plugging away on ebay...

Oh, and for the non-believers, I very much respect your opinions (and even agree with some of the technical arguments against), but please don't turn this into "one of those argument threads" on the back of this post ;-) Demand & supply of these BT conditioners is such that one can at least try, and re-sell with minimal loss if I'm not convinced.

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts