Mains cables - just saved myself £110

Fenton Beasley

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
I was tempted in to buying a mains cable, just see if my hi-fi could sound even better. So I looked around for a Chord Company SuperScreen. Needless to say, hi-fi shops in Perth, Australia don't stock them. In one shop I was shown a Gecko BG-10 instead and was told that for $200, it was mine. I was obviously reluctant to shell out that kind money and such a little thing so I asked and was granted a loan of it in exchange for a credit card swipe.

The bloke in the shop told me to give it three or four days to burn in and after that I should hear a clearer midrange and deeper bass. I tried it on my CD player and then on my Amp it it sounded pretty good. I've just put the old mains cable back on again and it sounds identically good. Seriously, I can't hear any difference.

I have therefore just saved myself £110 ($200 AU) and I feel pretty smug about that
emotion-4.gif

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Same here, i tried many cables without any or only marginal difference. Only A WireWorld mains conditioning cable made a very positive inpact in my system. I'm not considering auditioning other mains cables again, certainly now that i have as good as noise free power from my mains with isolation transformers.

A

Anonymous

I have read many posts on several forums where people say the mains cable does make a difference

I have not tried any but have will change my amp's power cable as it's old and my amp will be going in for a service, .... so I may well well do a good job ...

many people also claim not to hear differerences in speaker cables ... I do

so will hope that I do hear a difference ... I will be buying without hearing as my amp does not have the 'kettle type attachment' ... its connected inside the amp so will let the service guy do a proper job ... so hoping that it works, as have budgeted £100 on a power cable (will post and seek advice when I am ready to buy)

for those who cannot hear changes in different speaker cables, (I do) ... you are lucky, as those who do, always want to better and we spend loads of cash on cables, .....

but then again, I heard no difference with the Tacima and many do

A

Anonymous

Powerchord connected to rega apollo with onkyo 905 as the amp = BIG difference in sound

Powerchord connected to rega apollo with nait xs as the amp = still a very positive difference in sound, not as much with the onk.

Powerchord connected to the nait xs and standard lead on the rega = couldnt hear much difference.

In my very limited experience, mains cables work very well on CD players, of that i am 1000% sure on. Im sure they also help improve the amps too but not so noticeably.

A

Anonymous

Gander:

Powerchord connected to rega apollo with onkyo 905 as the amp = BIG difference in sound

Powerchord connected to rega apollo with nait xs as the amp = still a very positive difference in sound, not as much with the onk.

Powerchord connected to the nait xs and standard lead on the rega = couldnt hear much difference.

In my very limited experience, mains cables work very well on CD players, of that i am 1000% sure on. Im sure they also help improve the amps too but not so noticeably.

have read that the powerchord has the most difference on a cdp ... also read the with the Tacima, the cdp should be plugged into the plug closest to extension cable ... so suppose the cdp gets affected more? (tested with the tacima and never heard a difference to my cdp (but still keep it plugged in) ...

perhaps my area has clean power

Tonestar1

I also have the tacima. Bought it because I needed an extension cable and it wasn't that much dearer than a standard one so I thought I'd give it a go. Wasn't expecting much and didn't notice much difference in sound quality tbh but my tv picture has definitely cleared up a lot on SD. Maybe I should try plugging it in closer to the cable :)

I've not bought any mains cables yet but would certainly be willing to give them a try. I live in a flat and I'm less than 100m from small sub-station so not sure if there would really be much benefit.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
dim_span: the cdp should be plugged into the plug closest to extension cable

This is so that the cdp gets the juice straight from the cable before it goes through a bunch of jumpers and stuff.

A

Anonymous

andrewknight:

This is so that the cdp gets the juice straight from the cable before it goes through a bunch of jumpers and stuff.

yes I know, but they said cdp 1st .... then the amp in the 2nd plug, thats why I said that perhaps the cdp benefits more than the amp?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
andrewknight:

I have a dedicated 6mm radial socket for my HIFI only, this made a massive difference to the noise floor, dynamics and staging cost £125

Upgraded from Rega powerlead to a Chord Powerchord on my CDP immense difference. Cost £70

Tried the power chord on the Naim amp, negligable difference.

Fitted a Tacima to the system last week and an increase in detail levels. Cost £23

Have my Amp plugged straight into the wall and a Tacima plugged into the other socket. The Tacima feeds the CDP ( with Chord powerchord), and my tuner, it will also soon be feeding my turntable and phono amp.

Was intregued by the "plug it closer to the lead" suggestion so I have just moved it from the furthest away to the socket closest to the lead, not sure if it has made any difference but it has not made it sound worse so will leave it there.

Also have tacima and chord powerchord on my AV (except reciever) SD PQ increased with Tacima, HD picture and TV sound better with addition of Chord powerchord.

a91gti

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I have only a cdp and amp in my stereo so I bought a plug that takes more than one lead at time getting rid of extension blocks altogether, my best tweak yet and only a fiver.

A

Anonymous

My clearer audio cables should be with me this week / early next week for the rest of my kit.
emotion-2.gif

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Mains cables? - just saved myself £660 buy not purchasing six of them
emotion-14.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist . . . . (I'll get my coat)

EDIT NOTE: Release cat among pigeons . . . .

TRENDING THREADS