Mains cable upgrade - Yes or No?

Trahern

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
This maybe a contentious issue, but I want to know the experience of others as to whether this is worthwhile or not? I was looking at gradually replace the standard cables with Clearer Audio silver mains cables, however at £150 each it has to make a noticeable improvement. What are your thoughts?

Andrew

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Buy a good mains block first and see if you feel you can tell the difference and then look to upgrade each of your cables in turn - i personally thought big difference when i bouight the block more subtle difference when i upgraded each individual mains cables.

A

Anonymous

I would always make them up myself buy of the reel and never buy ready made ones, I'd look at cables from Acoustic Revive or Oyaide and all plugs would be Oyaides.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...And I thought Hughes123 would have said "Only if you can find some late 1970s mains cables - they really knew how to make them in those days", etc., etc.

A

Anonymous

Trahern:
This maybe a contentious issue, but I want to know the experience of others as to whether this is worthwhile or not? I was looking at gradually replace the standard cables with Clearer Audio silver mains cables, however at £150 each it has to make a noticeable improvement. What are your thoughts?

Andrew

Since you did ask the question - then i'd say it's worth a trial at the very least. Use their 3 month trial period and if you think it's foo then return it. Simple :_)I think they're worth it , but not at the expense of upgrading interconnects/ speaker wire or food!

A

Anonymous

JAXON5:Trahern:

Andrew

Since you did ask the question - then i'd say it's worth a trial at the very least. Use their 3 month trial period and if you think it's foo then return it. Simple :_)I think they're worth it , but not at the expense of upgrading interconnects/ speaker wire or food!

Upgraded food, now there's a thought - along with upgraded beer!

Trahern

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
OK so the general view appears to be that it is probably worth upgrading the mains cables but a mains block should be first on the shopping list. I have 2 x Tacima blocks because of all the gear that needs to be plugged in, but I suspect that it would probably be worthwhile investing in something better. So any suggestions?

A

Anonymous

My advice would be to save your money. Exotic mains leads are a marketing gimmick designed with the sole intention of relieving the gullible of their cash and make no difference at all to the performance of a system. The Tacimas are fine, stick with them.

Art.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I suggest you try one, but only if you can blind test it. If you cannot tell the difference 9 times out of 10 in a blind test, then ditch it, and spend that not inconsiderable amount of money on your next real upgrade.

Also maybe have a look at this interesting blog... (which in no way is meant to suggest that any mains cable you buy is in any way similar)

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1197/virtual-dynamics-power-3-2000-profit-margin

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Personally I'm happy with my Merlins and RA mains cables and Tacima block, I definitely think that for the shielding alone it's worth it, and I feel that if it gives a 2% cleaner sound per component then by the laws of physics, that 2% bacomes 4%, then 8% etc, ok the maths isn't right but you get my drift...

Trahern

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
OK so it's as contentious as I thought it might be. I think the best thing to do is buy one cable and blind test it and if I can't tell the difference get my money back. Thanks for your thoughts and help.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Am doing the same at the moment. Initial tests suggest, musically, the Silverline is making the soundstage a little more open. Visually, I really can't see the difference on my TV so far, but I have only been able to do very limited testing due to other issues going on in my life (unfortunate timing considering the 60 day return policy!). At the moment, I'm thinking, the small difference it's making means it's not worth the £200 I paid for it. The Tacima's on the other hand were definitely worth the money (both visually and aurally).
However, I will endeavor to do much more vigorous testing soon (sorry fr0g, live on my own and none of my friends would be remotely interested in testing power cables so can't do blind testing!). I'll reply in my own PS3 Mains Cable Upgrade thread. I also have a Russ Williams Powermax cable and a Merlin Black Widow to test as well (so have cables from the £30 to the £200 range).

A

Anonymous

I recently bought tacima cs929 and QED Quonec mains cables for my Roksan KandyMkIII amp and Kandy III CD player. Though I couldn't tell whether all improved the sound, the difference is very noticable. The detail at high, low and mid ranges has greatly improved and the sound has really opened up. This has definetly been a great buy, and at £100 for the two cables and conditioner made it a cheap upgrade!

I say go for it!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts