Made me Laugh

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dunno why, it just did!

wtf640.jpg

Image resized for the very last time - any more pix more than 400 pixels wide will be deleted - Mods

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:Im trying to get my head around to what it is on the left ?

ditto - though that assumes that i am right in thinking the one on the right is a quad...?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:floyd droid:Im trying to get my head around to what it is on the left ?

ditto - though that assumes that i am right in thinking the one on the right is a quad...? Didnt know laurence llewelyn bowen was into hi fi !!

A

Anonymous

Tut, tut, tut you hi-fi buffs! That speaker on the left is one of the greatest speakers ever to grace our planet, the B&W DM70! Huge woofer mated to an electrostatic tweeter/midrange in 1970 made one hell of a speaker! The one on the right is of course, a QUAD 57 with some quality 90s-ish wallpaper!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, just stopped rolling on the floor clutching my sides in sheer agony from laughing so much to point out that speaker on the left is a vintage B&W DM70, from 1970.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Sorry, just stopped rolling on the floor clutching my sides in sheer agony from laughing so much to point out that speaker on the left is a vintage B&W DM70, from 1970.

He he he!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Sorry, just stopped rolling on the floor clutching my sides in sheer agony from laughing so much to point out that speaker on the left is a vintage B&W DM70, from 1970.

ÿ

Either that or a Hinari washing machine anyway. I'm supposing they didn't sell many, my OH wouldn't even let me put anything like that in the cupboard let alone take pride of place.ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:

Either that or a Hinari washing machine anyway. I'm supposing they didn't sell many, my OH wouldn't even let me put anything like that in the cupboard let alone take pride of place.

Well this guy loves them...

IMAGE DELETED - max 400 pixels wide, please, and so bored of resizing them - Mods

A

Anonymous

saxonhawthorn:
I had six of them in my living room. Wish I still had.

Welcome to the forums, Saxonhawthorn!

Six?! Six of those?! Did you replace them with six KEF Muons or something?

A

Anonymous

I didn't replace them at all. I gave up sound in the late seventies when it stopped being fun, and studios started timing you with a stop-watch. Now I just sit back, relax, and enjoy the tinnitis and presbycusis. But those DM 70s were one of my favourite speakers of all time (except when lugging them through hotel kitchens).

A

Anonymous

saxonhawthorn:Now I just sit back, relax, and enjoy the tinnitis and presbycusis.

Wow, your going to be a bundle of laughs...
emotion-18.gif

Where did you work, Abbey Road? They had DM70s for a while...

A

Anonymous

:) Just wait my friend; it'll happen to you one day too!

As it happens, yes, I was at Abbey Road from time to time, although I was never actually employed there. I knew EMI's Technical Director quite well and he very kindly sponsored my membership of the AES. But there came a time when the music business turned from being a bunch of lads and lasses who enjoyed making music, and became a business run by accountants instead. I was sitting one day with a cutting engineer named George Peckham. We were chatting away while one of my tapes was going on to vinyl, and we both agreed that having to deal with accountants all day wasn't as much fun as well...., <er, cough> "sex and drugs and rock 'n roll". That was the day I decided to gently wander away from the music business and find something else to do. I ended up writing software for a living, and I'm glad to say I have enjoyed that immensely.

But you're right about B&Ws at Abbey Road. The lads generally liked the B&W sound, and I believe the later 800s were standard equipment in there for a while. Sadly John Bowers is no longer with us, but I was glad to have the opportunity one day to tell him how much pleasure his DM3s and DM70s had given me. He smiled and replied "That makes it all worth while". He was one of the good guys.

Now for the first time in years I'm shopping for a sound system again, and I shall probably visit the show on Friday. I'm sure the whole scene has changed and I won't know anybody there now, but you never know. Perhaps I'll bump into George Peckham again, and we can swap stories about Zimmer frames.

A

Anonymous

Porky talking about Zimmer frames, that would be something to see!
emotion-4.gif

Well I know what you mean about the recording industry at the moment: It's all driven by money and I for one can't see it changing in the mass. I went to Abbey Road not long ago though, and I would say it is one of the studios that are free from restraints now thanks to the accountants that were there when you left! As far as I can see, they all seem to enjoy what they are doing immensly and take great pride in their results (some of which are outstanding!)

At the moment, (or last year anyway) they had some 800Ds in the multichannel room at the front and in the smaller monitoring/mastering rooms they had 801Ds and in the small ones 805S's. The 801Ds are my favourite, honestly I've never heard such an enjoyable speaker to listen to!

If your shopping for a new sound system, do have a good look at B&W, their speakers are better than ever and if you can push to the 800-series, you'll be getting a serious sound system!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the tip. Actually I would certainly want to listen to some B&Ws again, if only for old times' sake.

It's a strange thing about geriatric hearing loss: although I know (because I've measured them) that my ears now fall off a cliff at 8kHz, I can still tell whether I'm listening to a clean top end or not, but I don't know why? I've not had discussions with other sound freaks for a long time now, so I don't know if anybody has worked out the psycho-acoustics of this. Do you?

A

Anonymous

PS: Hope you're not an accountant? <grin> You're probably right about their contribution to EMI's still being in business. <whispers> I have even had to learn the importance of controlling cashflow myself.

And I'm glad to hear that morale is still high at Abbey Road. The lads there were always a very independently-minded lot who didn't hesitate to tell you if they thought you were rubbish. I'm glad that the tradition is still going strong.

TRENDING THREADS