Macintosh hi fi ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Their products look stunning, i've never seen or listened to them in the flesh.

They don't seem to crop up much on the forum, just wondering are they as good as they look ?

How would their sound be described ? :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
FATS 2828 said:
They don't seem to crop up much on the forum, just wondering are they as good as they look ?

Probably because there aren't many dealers in the UK for them, and for the elevated (compared to the US) prices, they're up against UK manufacturers. Great sounding stuff, but like most products of this quality, at a price.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
IIRC the Mackintosh 6600 integrated amp was reviewed many, many moons ago and got a 5 star verdict.

Cracking looking gear with a sound to match by all accounts. I'd need to reinforce my rack before buying any of their gear though!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
McIntosh make great stuff - big and bold retro-looking American amps, with an exciting and dynamic, but smooth musical sound....works well with speakers like Kef Refs and the ATC floorstanders....certainly worth checking out if have one of the rare dealers nearby.

As David has mentioned, they don't give the same value on this side of the pond.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I would buy one just based on looks, don't care what they sound like :oops:

Dont actually know, but as said before, considerably dearer here than in the US, although the same can be said for Bryston and many more North American manufactures such as Totem.

There seems to be quite a bit of criticism flying around the web.

I have been lucky enough to have recently heard an MA6600 on some SF Liuto towers and some 800 series B&Ws. Love at first sight for me. Bryston + PMC may be more precise/less coloured etc, but this was so musical, lush and involving, I could listened for hours.

Better start saving :(

T

the record spot

Same here Helmut; love McIntosh and the look. Not so sure about the turntable they did a couple of years ago, but otherwise, pretty flawless IMO.

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Same here Helmut; love McIntosh and the look. Not so sure about the turntable they did a couple of years ago, but otherwise, pretty flawless IMO.

Yeah, googled for McIntosh related discussion after I posted here and saw a picture of that turntable in a 'all things hifi that deserve to be ridiculed' thread :rofl:

T

the record spot

Yes; always thought it looked like a glow in the dark Dansette!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
:rofl:

You can imagine the designers sitting round the table throwing ideas around for a new turntable - "Now, how can we make a turntable and keep it unmistakably MacIntosh?"

I'd have fired them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts