MA RX1s on very solid table?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I expect to buy RX1s together with a Roksan Kandy amp in the next few days and I have a question on speaker stands. I know that good speaker stands are important for a) vibration isolation, b) correct height, and c) enabling space around the speaker.

However I have a large & very heavy solid timber AV cabinet/table that, practically, would be a very convenient platform for the speakers. Just looking at the solid nature of the table I expect vibration would not be an issue, in fact I would expect it to vibrate less than the average speaker stand. The height would be OK too. For space around the speaker, I'm wondering if I could put the speakers on a 3-4 inch platform (some sort of mini stand) to ensure a reasonable distance between the speaker and the table top.

What do you folks think ? Would this still be significantly inferior to speaker stands?

Many thanks in advance.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
there's a few things could influence your choice. most speaker stands are 600mm tall, how high is your av cabinet? if it's lower, this would put the bass cone of the speakers closer to the ground, which will increase bass - maybe to an unacceptable degree.

depending on your room size and listening distance, your speakers will benefit from being at least 6 feet apart, is the cabinet going to be wide enough to allow good stereo imaging?

vibration from the speakers could pass into components placed on the av cabinet.

even if you can position the speakers in ideal positions on the cabinet, the sound could still be different compared to using stands. i used to have some dynaudio focus 110s and, while i was waiting for my atcs to turn up, i bought some atacama hms2 stands because they were the right size for the atcs and matched my av rack, and decided to use them with the dyn's in the mean time. the sound from the speakers was very different after changing stands, and the only difference was the weight of the stands and top plate size, the height stayed the same and the speakers where positioned the same.
emotion-18.gif

try them on the cabinet and see what you think, if you're happy with the sound then great.
emotion-21.gif
i do think that you will get better sound, as well as more positioning flexibility, with some decent stands.

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
i have a pair of very heavy chest cabinets, much prefer the sound of my speakers on these (held on with blue tack) i find the bass is so much more solid than on speaker stands. but give it a try and see if you like the sound

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. The AV table is around 600mm tall and at least 5-6 ft wide so I'll give it a go. It'll be tricky to compare against stands, since I don't have stands, but I have given the speakers a good demo in the shop so I know what they are capable of.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know where I can get a 'mini speaker stand' suitable for a tabletop? Basically something 3-4 inches high that will hold the RX1s securely above the table surface?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts